Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 16:20:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZBIT as unbalanced to balanced converter (Read 3267 times)
Dodge
Verified Member

ZBIT as unbalanced to balanced converter
04/20/21 at 00:39:17

All all can find about the ZBIT is information about using it as a balanced to unbalanced converter.  Since it is basically a transformer, I assume it can be used in reverse (i.e. input to RCA, output XLR). I want to purchase one of these so I can use my unbalanced preamp (Conrad Johnson ET5) to drive my balanced amps (Audio Research 250SE's).  Has anyone used the ZBIT like this?   Can anyone confirm that this will work OK?
Thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZBIT as unbalanced to balanced converter
Reply #1 - 04/20/21 at 01:01:52

Welcome. It does not work that way, you would need circuitry to create a balanced signal which the ZBIT is not designed to accomplish.

I believe what you need is called a "balun." I think a component like this might be a contender (?)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/288115-REG/ART_CLEANBOXPRO_CLEANBOX_Bi_Di...

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dodge
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/20/21 at 01:33:11

OK, thanks.  That is too bad.  I think it will not be so easy to find a device the same quality as the ZBIT to use as a converter.  I have a fairly high end system where the subtle difference between interconnects are quite obvious.  Just plugging in anything as a converter would pretty much defeat the purpose of trying out the CJ preamp in my main system.  I guess I will just stick with my balanced preamp and keep the CJ preamp in my secondary, unbalanced system.  
Thanks again for your quick response to this question.

IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #3 - 04/20/21 at 01:35:35

Dodge,

Welcome to the forum.

I think that you should search out a product that Audio Research used to produce.
They specifically made active converters for balanced to single ended and single ended to balanced.
I think the BL1 was a single ended to balanced active converter.
I see these from time to time on Ebay and Audiogon.

Maybe Jensen Transformers might have something, but I am almost certain that you will need an active product.

Good Luck!

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
Dodge
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/20/21 at 02:17:20

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember reading something about those converters some years ago. Thanks for jogging my memory.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 04/20/21 at 03:43:15

Quote:
All all can find about the ZBIT is information about using it as a balanced to unbalanced converter.  Since it is basically a transformer, I assume it can be used in reverse (i.e. input to RCA, output XLR). I want to purchase one of these so I can use my unbalanced preamp (Conrad Johnson ET5) to drive my balanced amps (Audio Research 250SE's).  Has anyone used the ZBIT like this?   Can anyone confirm that this will work OK?
Thanks

Actually a ZBIT can work backwards...  wouldn't be very Zen if it didn't.  The only thing that needs changed is the gender of the XLR jacks.  

We use this transformer inside the ZTPRE to accommodate unbalanced inputs and create a fully balanced output from it.  The only drawback is that unbalanced is 2 volts.  Most balanced signals are 4 volts or higher.  That means that your balanced source will have to be turned up a bit more on the volume control to equal other balanced sources.

Hope this helps.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Dodge
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/20/21 at 04:01:10

Now that is good news!  Could you have the gender of the XLR’s changed on one of these for me? If so, I will order one immediately.  
Thanks

IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #7 - 04/20/21 at 12:54:07

I think that the BL1 was actually for fixed line level sources.
So that probably would not have worked.

It is great that Zen Master Steve has confirmed that the ZBIT will work.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 04/20/21 at 17:48:06

I have added the option to reverse it in the shopping cart.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print