04/19/24 at 10:11:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low level distortion (Read 2843 times)
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Low level distortion
04/15/21 at 18:50:28

New Rachel and Monolith owner here testing out a ZStage addition to my already used system. Yesterday I noticed some background distortion that I had not heard before in one of me test songs. I took out the ZStage but the distortion remained, in the background but audible. Any suggestions where I might start looking for the source, I’ve heard this particular song many times and this was the first I’ve heard that grit in the background.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Re: Low level distortion
Reply #1 - 04/15/21 at 20:31:52

Hi Ed,

What is the nature of the distortion? What does it sound like?

There are many members here who are much more knowledgeable than I am, but the first thing I would do is swap tubes in and out to see if there's a noisy tube in there somewhere causing the issue.

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/15/21 at 21:52:29

Hi Richard,
It was like old fashioned radio drift but it didn’t seem to affect the vocals or drums (but their dynamics are all peaks) just grit on the instruments. I was surprised to hear it or even that I could after a loud career. I’ll spin some other discs and then revisit that song. I don’t have a spare set of input tubes so I can’t really do a logical path thru the amp.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/15/21 at 23:08:55

Could this be radio frequency interference (RFI) or electro magnetic interference (EMI)?

If you have any unshielded interconnects running in parallel with power cords OR a TV/computer monitor near your equipment can cause problems. Try repositioning cables. If still persists reposition equipment.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/17/21 at 22:38:16

Might be several tubes at the same time. I’m pretty sensitive to wire routing and leaky digital pieces but just in case I pulled the ZStage out of the signal path and off the CD transport. No joy. The mail brought some new 6N2P input tubes so I was able to replace each section, as I did the EL-34s started sounding pretty janky. Eventually after swapping outputs twice I landed on KT-88s that weren’t too unhappy with a GZ-34 rectifier  so maybe the Valve Arts 274 is failing and the EL-34s are going with it. I don’t know the age or hours on anything which has prompted a tube order for the whole amp so I can start from the beginning.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/09/21 at 12:45:15

My troubleshooting skills are pretty rusty. After swapping components around and substituting cables and amps I finally realized it was the speakers. A new “as built” set of tubes for the Rachel and the ZStage running my old shop speakers showed the truth; the used Monoliths were distorting, most likely from shipping damage knocking the components out of alignment. So, viola! New tweets and woofs and the distortion is gone. I still want to adjust the tweeter level down 3-6dB so some Mills resistors are on order to build a couple of simple L pads. That should do it. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print