Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 12:54:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Balanced XLR input option, worth it? (Read 3347 times)
dboulet
Verified Member

Balanced XLR input option, worth it?
04/14/21 at 22:19:52

I sent this question in to Steve’s email, but I think he’s a little busy Smiley. I thought I’d tap in to the experts on this forum for some advice.

I’m interested in getting a SE84UFO2, and am wondering if it’s worth it for me to add the balanced XLR input upgrade. My Schiit Bifrost DAC has both balanced XLR and single ended RCA outputs, would it be recommended to get the XLR inputs on the amp in that case? Do the balanced inputs make a big difference in sound, or are they offered as more of a convenience for customers who have purely balanced gear?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Balanced XLR input option, worth it?
Reply #1 - 04/14/21 at 22:58:49

Welcome to the forums!

The answer (as usual) is "it depends."

I'm a big fan of balanced myself, if done right. And that means a true balanced connection with separate + and - phases, not just a single ended signal on the XLR connector. So, the first thing to check is if the Bifrost is "truly balanced", does it use a different DAC for each phase? and if not then you might as well stick with the RCAs.

If it is, then you get into the trade-offs. Getting a Decware transformer for your balanced input isn't cheap, either in built into your amp or as a stand-alone ZBIT. But a lot of people really really like them. I took a different approach myself, instead of using a transformer to convert the balanced signal to single ended, I bought two UFOs and use them as balanced monoblocks. What that means is I'm using the left and right channels of a stereo amp for the + and - phases of a balanced signal and amplify each phase separately. That is different then the transformer which differences the + and - phase into a single ended signal before it is amplified. The two UFOs don't cost that much more than a UFO2 with the balanced connection and you get a few extra watts bonus.

I don't know if this answered your question at all, or just made things more confusing. Good luck in any event, in the end you've got to decide if it is worth the $$$.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
dboulet
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/14/21 at 23:55:55

Thanks, CAJames. According to Schiit, the XLR outputs on the Bifrost offer very similar performance to the RCA outputs, and are what they call “cheap-ass balanced” Grin, so I’m thinking that the amp upgrade might not be worth it for me.

I’m interested in hearing from anyone else who has tried XLR inputs on their UFO2, though.

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/23/21 at 03:35:31

I can't comment on the performance, but it is sure a spendy mod!

Also interesting this balanced ins are not an option on many of the other products - no idea if they means anything, just an observation.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 04/23/21 at 17:16:53

Quote:
Posted by: canonken      Posted on: Today at 03:35:31

...Also interesting this balanced ins are not an option on many of the other products - no idea if they means anything, just an observation.

I think in general the preferred Decware solution for balanced to single ended conversion is the standalone ZBIT transformer. This has the advantage of being able to put it wherever you want in the signal chain (e.g. in front of the preamp) and it also includes a gain control which the builtin transformer lacks, as far as I can tell.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/23/21 at 18:58:53

When my brother was ordering his ZMA he was going to get the XLR transformers built into it. Steve suggested using a ZBIT. We both agree that was the better move.

I'm also in the camp of use the best tool for the job. If noise isn't an issue RCA is better in my experience. Some industry professionals say to always use XLR if it's available. My experience and others say this isn't true.

My view is try both. I usually prefer RCA.

Gain riding this changes a things. If you are using XLR because you can get more gain usually 2v RCA 4v XLR then things change. I have a PS Audio DSD and output is 1.414v RCA, 2.818v XLR. I prefer RCA out still. I've tried running XLR -> ZBIT -> RCA -> CSP3 and prefer RCA all the way. If I didn't have the copious amounts of gain with the CSP3 I might prefer the XLR -> ZBIT -> RCA -> AMP combo.

Currently I don't have XLRs in my system and the ZBIT it resting. I'm holding onto it as it's a good tool to have when appropriate.

Galen Gareis a cable designer talks about RCA vs XLR in the following link.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/rca-vs-xlr/14787/19

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print