Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 01:59:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High Efficiency Bookshelf Speaker Recommendation? (Read 3574 times)
buster1
Verified Member

High Efficiency Bookshelf Speaker Recommendation?
04/12/21 at 19:19:06

Team Decware:  I am curious about tubes and am interested in investing in a Decware amp; however, I have serious room limitations.  I live in a NY apartment with a medium size living room (21x13.5x9).  The room has a variety of corridors and an open kitchen opening onto the space.  I have to place the speakers on a shelf that is 18" high and 16.5" deep (not much room for speakers to breath).  I am interested in any high efficiency speaker recommendations you might have, particularly bookshelf speakers no more than 12" wide.  The shorter the speaker the better.  Speakers will be used with a sub.  Price flexible up to $2,000ish (less is always better).

I'm considering the zu cubes and the omega compact alinico monitor.  Any thoughts, alternatives, or recommended amp pairings would be welcome.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: High Efficiency Bookshelf Speaker Recommendation?
Reply #1 - 04/12/21 at 20:52:37

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/12/21 at 20:57:06

I've never found putting speakers on a shelf to be a good idea. It's so hard to extract good sound quality close against a wall or with stuff in between speakers.

If your running a separate sub I would consider a radial  or front ported speaker. I'm not sure Steve's Tiny Radial speakers would provide enough volume.

Can you tell us what's in your system? This might be helpful.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
buster1
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/12/21 at 21:07:51

Thanks for the responses.  I very much appreciate them.  I agree about the shelf - unfortunately, NY apartments are small and the layout of the room is fixed by size, windows, and many built-in storage units.  I'm doing the best with the room I have, not the room I want.

Right now I use a NAD M10, Kef LS50s on isoaccoustics monitor stands (with a slight angle to account for the low shelf), and an SVS SB-3000.  It's a good system (in my opinion) but it can feel a little small(or perhaps just not engaging in the way I hoped).  Or perhaps it's just covid fatigue.

More or less considering starting over with new speakers and a decware amp for a more lively, engaging sound.  Might use the M10 as a preamp and switch between the kef system and whatever comes next.

IP Logged
buster1
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/12/21 at 21:40:07

Donnie:  Thanks for recommending the 945 - do you have a sense of how it would fare close to a wall boundary?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 04/13/21 at 00:30:43

Buster,

Well I know that the rear port would need to be plugged, so you would loose some bass because of that.

I run a variation of these as my garage speakers, they are very good sounding. The tweeter is killer and the 8" driver puts down some pretty good slam.

You say that you already have a sub, so I wouldn't worry too much about  plugging the port with a tennis ball or maybe some old socks.

I just love the sound of these speakers, I'm pretty sure that you would too.

Now if I could swing it while no one was looking, I would slip them out of their cubby holes and place them on stands out in the room and really let them sing.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/13/21 at 00:35:08

Another option for you is Omega. The Compact Alnico Monitors can be used like you need. (I've not heard them personally but I have the Super 3i's and DeepHemp 8 Sub.) Louis is great to speak with and won't steer you wrong. He's also been known to build custom speakers for particular needs. Don't hesitate to call him. Best of luck.

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/13/21 at 04:00:14

Hi buster,

Have you considered headphones? When I lived in NY, I listened exclusively to headphones to increase my immersion (drowning out the everpresent street hum), and not annoy the neighbors.

Now, with small kids, I still listen to 95% headphones out of my Decware Taboo.

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
buster1
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/14/21 at 13:14:50

Thanks to all who responded.  I appreciate your time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print