I love analogue (Read 12213 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

I love analogue
04/07/21 at 04:34:35

Smiley
Tonight I am spinning some vinyl, and without getting long winded (well scratch that),  as good as the digital has been getting on my digital journey, tonight I simply crushed it into the dirt.  My vinyl rig on a great sounding record is a force to wrecken with, giving the tape machines a situation where they must perform at 110% to be noticeably any better.

I played a record that a new customer sent to me by the band Enoch Light and the Light Brigade... titled "Big Bold and Brassy" (c) 1960 and  if you've ever watched the cartoon Tom and Jerry, this record distorted my reality in a similar way.  The highs almost broke glass but in the most satisfying way...  Truly audiophiles are forgetting what dynamics really are, as there is nothing on streaming services that will touch this. RCA Dynagroove is another mind numbingly good series of recordings that will make your stereo sound like someone brought over a new amplifier or speakers. Actually what it sounds like is the big band came by your house, put your stereo out in the yard, came in the house, set up a live gig and showed you what it was suppose to actually sound like.

After listening to that I went for a new/old re-release on vinyl from "The WHO", titled Tommy. It sounded like someone removed the tweeters from my speakers by comparison --  Such a joke.

There has been many times when listening to various DACs that I have thought, "this is better than my vinyl rig", but it wasn't. The way the vinyl rig makes the music explode into the room on the right recordings goes well beyond the window I have heard digital CD's and hi-res downloads and streaming achieve. The contrast is so much larger than it is with digital, or is it?  

I guess the way to settle the debate is to ask yourself how many times while listening to vinyl did I think it sounded better than digital vs. the other way around... and there you will find your answer.

Soon I will have a new holy grail DAC and will embellish it with a great tube preamp and anything else it might want to try to lessen the gap.

It would be so great if recordings weren't mastered different for each format, so we could actually tell which one was really better... ; )

Picture another planet where digital has been the technology for over 2.3 million years... someone created a phono cartridge - a fine jewel of magnatism that takes the music and creates a conduit for consciousness to breath into it changing the sound from real good, to real real.

Literally I have seen the faces of artists that I didn't know on stage with my eyes closed in front of this vinyl rig only to look it up on Tidal and see them for the first time nearly the same as I pictured them.  I have almost smelled the music.

Side note, if this happens to you and the music sounds like shit, consider it a red alert that something is amiss.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: I love analogue
Reply #1 - 04/07/21 at 05:31:42

Look, I got myself so wound up I made a whopping $40 investment in a brand new like 10 record set from Dynagroove that has never been played...

Check out this play list.  And understand it is like listening to master tapes on a consumer grade tape machine.

Vinyl Album, Purchased, Opened, Never Played, Near Mint Condition.
All Time Broadway Hit Parade: The 120 Greatest Songs (Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Stereo) album cover
Various ‎– All Time Broadway Hit Parade: The 120 GreatestSongs

Label: Reader's Digest ‎– RDS-18-1, RCA ‎– RDS-SPS-18

Format: 11 × Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Stereo, Dyna groove BoxSet

Country: United States, Released: 1966, Genre: Stage &Screen & Broadway

Style: Theme, Musical, Broadway

Track List

A1          –RobertMandell Chorus And Orchestra*  There's NoBusiness Like Show Business From Annie Get Your Gun        

A2          –RobertPeterson (3) With Lee Roberts And His Orchestra   IfEver I Would Leave You From Camelot  

A3          –DouglasGamley And His Orchestra           Love IsA Simple Thing From New Faces Of 1952    

A4          –Adele LeighWith Richard Benson And His Orchestra           GettingTo Know You From The King And I    

A5          –JackBlackton* With Wally Stott And His Orchestra*           JustIn Time From Bells Are Ringing

A6          –RosalindPage*, Jack Blackton*, Stanley Grover, Robert Peterson (3) With Wally Stott AndHis Orchestra*          And This Is MyBeloved From Kismet        

B1          –RobertMandell Chorus And Orchestra*  OklahomaFrom Oklahoma!        

B2          –IvorEmmanuel With Richard Benson And His Orchestra    Oh,What A Beautiful Mornin' From Oklahoma!

B3          –JamesWalker Chorus* And Orchestra*   The SurreyWith The Fringe On Top From Oklahoma!        

B4          –MargotMoser And Robert Peterson (3) With Lee Roberts And His Orchestra               People Will Say We're In LoveFrom Oklahoma!    

B5          –Wally StottAnd His Orchestra*  I Love You FromMexican Hayride

B6          –RosemarySquires With Ken Thorne And His Orchestra       Makin'Whoopee! From Whoopee          

C1          –RobertBentley And His Orchestra             WithA Little Bit Of Luck From My Fair Lady              

C2          –Doreen HumeWith Hill Bowen And His Orchestra I CouldHave Danced All Night From My Fair Lady      

C3          –RobertMandell Chorus And Orchestra*  On TheStreet Where You Live From My Fair Lady      

C4          –RosemarySquires And Jack Blackton* With Lee Roberts And His Orchestra I Could Write A Book From Pal Joey          

C5          –DouglasGamley And His Orchestra           SeptemberSong From Knickerbocker Holiday              

C6          –StanleyGrover With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra     TheBest Things In Life Are Free From Good News    

D1          –RobertMandell Chorus And Orchestra*  Seventy SixTrombones From The Music Man              

D2          –RosemarySquires With Wally Stott And His Orchestra*     TillThere Was You From The Music Man        

D3          –StanleyGrover With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra     TheLady Is A Tramp From Babes In Arms    

D4          –Wally StottAnd His Orchestra*  Where Or When From BabesIn Arms        

D5          –RosemarySquires With Lee Roberts And His Orchestra      IWish I Were In Love Again From Babes In Arms        

D6          –LeslieFyson With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra          SitDown, You're Rockin' The Boat From Guys And Dolls            

E1           –WallyStott And His Orchestra*  Bali Ha'i FromSouth Pacific          

E2           –IvorEmmanuel With Richard Benson And His Orchestra    SomeEnchanted Evening From South Pacific          

E3           –RobertBentley And His Orchestra             YoungerThan Springtime From South Pacific              

E4           –Jack Blackton*With Lee Roberts Chorus* And Orchestra* Bidin'My Time From Girl Crazy    

E5           –RosemarySquires With Wally Stott And His Orchestra*     ButNot For Me From Girl Crazy    

E6           –RobertMandell Chorus And Orchestra*  Of Thee ISing From Of Thee I Sing              

F1           –DoreenHume With Hill Bowen And His Orchestra ShallWe Dance? From The King And I              

F2           –WallyStott And His Orchestra*  Hello, YoungLovers From The King And I  

F3           –RosemarySquires And Stanley Grover With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra               They Say It's Wonderful FromAnnie Get Your Gun

F4           –TheFoursome With Roland Shaw And His Orchestra*        HeartFrom Damn Yankees              

F5           –StanleyGrover With Lee Roberts And His Orchestra           ComeTo Me, Bend To Me From Brigadoon

F6           –RonnieOgden And His Orchestra              ButtonUp Your Overcoat From Follow Thru              

G1          –PeterKnight Chorus* And Orchestra*      June IsBustin' Out All Over From Carousel

G2          –MargotMoser And Robert Peterson (3) With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra      If I Loved You From Carousel            

G3          –RobertMandell And His Orchestra            YouAnd The Night And The Music From Revenge With Music      

G4          –JackBlackton* With Wally Stott And His Orchestra*           Oh,Lady Be Good From Lady, Be Good!            

G5          –CallaMarkwell With Ronnie Ogden And His Orchestra       SpeakLow From One Touch Of Venus            

G6          –Wally StottAnd His Orchestra*  Mack The Knife FromThreepenny Opera  

H1          –BrianJohnson And Doreen Hume With Hill Bowen And His Orchestra           Wunderbar From Kiss Me, Kate          

H2          –RonnieOgden And His Orchestra              DancingIn The Dark From The Band Wagon              

H3          –RosemarySquires With Wally Stott And His Orchestra*     ThouSwell From A Connecticut Yankee        

H4          –JackBlackton* With Wally Stott And His Orchestra*           TryTo Remember From The Fantasticks        

H5          –Wally StottAnd His Orchestra*  Bewitched From PalJoey

H6          –RobertMandell Chorus And Orchestra*  Drums On MyHeart From Through The Years              

I1            –RobertBentley And His Orchestra             Everything'sComing Up Roses From Gypsy              

I2            –JulieDawn With Roland Shaw And His Orchestra*              OurLanguage Of Love From Irma La Douce  

I3            –MargotMoser And Stanley Grover With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra Tea For Two From No, No Nanette    

I4            –HillBowen Chorus* And Orchestra*         Hallelujah!From Hit The Deck      

I5            –WallyStott And His Orchestra*  Time On My HandsFrom Smiles  

I6            –RosemarySquires With Ken Thorne And His Orchestra       WhateverLola Wants (Lola Gets) From Damn Yankees            

J1           –RosalindPage* With Robert Mandell Chorus And Orchestra*          TheSound Of Music From The Sound Of Music            

J2           –DoreenHume With Hill Bowen And His Orchestra Do-Re-MiFrom The Sound Of Music              

J3           –RosemarySquires With Lee Roberts And His Orchestra      MyFavorite Things From The Sound Of Music

J4           –RobertMandell And His Orchestra            OnceIn A Lifetime From Stop The World--I Want To Get Off

J5           –PeterKnight Chorus* And Orchestra*      EasterParade From As Thousands Cheer  

J6           –StanleyGrover With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra     WhoCan I Turn To From The Roar Of The Greasepaint--The Smell Of The Crowd

K1           –RobertMandell Chorus And Orchestra*  Hello,Dolly! From Hello, Dolly!    

K2           –LeeRoberts And His Orchestra   I Didn't KnowWhat Time It Was From Too Many Girls              

K3           –RosemarySquires With Wally Stott And His Orchestra*     IMay Be Wrong, But I Think You're Wonderful From John Murray Anderson's Almanac

K4           –RobertPeterson (3) With Lee Roberts And His Orchestra   TheSweetest Sounds From No Strings          

K5           –JohnnyDouglas And His Orchestra            YouTook Advantage Of Me From Present Arms    

K6           –MargotMoser With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra     SmokeGets In Your Eyes From Roberta    

L1           –PeterKnight Chorus* And Orchestra*      StrikeUp The Band From Strike Up The Band              

L2           –RonnieOgden And His Orchestra              SomethingTo Remember You By From Three's A Crowd              

L3           –MargotMoser With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra     YoungAnd Foolish From Plain And Fancy          

L4           –TonyMansell With The Foursome And Roland Shaw And His Orchestra*     Once In Love With Amy From Where's Charley?              

L5           –WallyStott And His Orchestra*  Soft Lights AndSweet Music From Face The Music

L6           –PeterKnight Chorus* And Orchestra*      IMarried An Angel From I Married An Angel              

M1         –RobertMandell Chorus And Orchestra*  A Lot OfLivin' To Do From Bye Bye Birdie

M2         –Wally StottAnd His Orchestra*  What Is This ThingCalled Love From Wake Up And Dream  

M3         –CallaMarkwell With Ronnie Ogden And His Orchestra       HeatWave From As Thousands Cheer            

M4         –BryanJohnson (4) And Doreen Hume With Hill Bowen And His Orchestra    I've Told Ev'ry Little Star From Music InThe Air        

M5         –RosemarySquires With Ken Thorne And His Orchestra       SomeoneTo Watch Over Me From Oh, Kay!  

M6         –Ronnie OgdenAnd His Orchestra              This Can'tBe Love From The Boys Of Syracuse              

N1          –JohnnyDouglas And His Orchestra            There'sA Small Hotel From On Your Toes

N2          –RosemarySquires And Stanley Grover With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra         Old Devil Moon From Finian's Rainbow            

N3          –JohnnyDouglas And His Orchestra            MountainGreenery From The Garrick Gaieties              

N4          –JackBlackton* With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra     TheyWere You From The Fantasticks        

N5          –RosemarySquires With Wally Stott And His Orchestra*     GetHappy From 9:15 Revue              

N6          –Hill BowenChorus* And Orchestra*         All TheThings You Are From Very Warm For May      

O1          –TheFoursome With Roland Shaw And His Orchestra*        Hernando'sHideaway From The Pajama Game            

O2          –RosemarySquires With Ken Thorne And His Orchestra       I'veGot A Crush On You From Strike Up The Band          

O3          –Alan RoperAnd His Orchestra     On A Clear Day YouCan See Forever From On A Clear Day You Can See Forever

O4          –JackBlackton* With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra     ComeBack To Me From On A Clear Day You Can See Forever    

O5          –RosalindPage* With Hill Bowen And His Orchestra             TheNight Was Made For Love From Cat And The Fiddle      

O6          –JohnnyDouglas And His Orchestra            StrangeMusic From Song Of Norway        

P1           –PeterKnight Chorus* And Orchestra*      GreatDay From Great Day!          

P2           –RosemarySquires With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra              HowLong Has This Been Going On? From Rosalie      

P3           –JohnnyDouglas And His Orchestra            SomebodyLoves Me From George White's Scandals            

P4           –MargotMoser And Stanley Grover With Robert Mandell And His Orchestra The Blue Room From The Girl Friend          

P5           –Julie DawnWith Roland Shaw And His Orchestra*              MyHeart Belongs To Daddy From Leave It To Me      

P6           –WallyStott And His Orchestra*  Embraceable YouFrom Girl Crazy

Q1          –JohnnyDouglas And His Orchestra            MakeSomeone Happy From Do Re Mi      

Q2          –RosemarySquires With Wally Stott And His Orchestra*     AsLong As He Needs Me From Oliver!      

Q3          –BryanJohnson (4) And Rita Williams With Hill Bowen And His Orchestra      You're The Top From Anything Goes

Q4          –TonyMansell With Wally Stott And His Orchestra*             HowAre Things In Glocca Morra? From Finian's Rainbow    

Q5          –RonnieOgden And His Orchestra              BodyAnd Soul From Three's A Crowd        

Q6          –Julie DawnWith Roland Shaw And His Orchestra*              LoveMe Or Leave Me From Whoopee          

R1          –PeterKnight Chorus* And Orchestra*      Hey,Look Me Over From Wildcat

R2          –Adele LeighWith Richard Benson And His Orchestra           MyRomance From Jumbo              

R3          –JohnnyDouglas And His Orchestra            SmallWorld From Gypsy

R4          –PeterKnight Chorus* And Peter Knight Orchestra AprilShowers From Bombo          

R5          –RosemarySquires With Ken Thorne And His Orchestra       Can'tHelp Lovin' Dat Man From Show Boat

R6          –Wally StottAnd His Orchestra*  With A Song In MyHeart From Spring Is Here        

S1           –JohnnyDouglas And His Orchestra            ManhattanFrom The Garrick Gaieties      

S2           –RosemarySquires With Ken Thorne And His Orchestra       PeopleFrom Funny Girl  

S3           –JamesWalker Chorus* And Orchestra*   BuckleDown, Winsocki From Best Foot Forward

S4           –RobertPeterson (3) With Chorus* And Orchestra*             Sunrise,Sunset From Fiddler On The Roof      

S5           –CallaMarkwell With Ronnie Ogden And His Orchestra       IGet A Kick Out Of You From Anything Goes  

S6           –JohnnyDouglas And His Orchestra            So InLove From Kiss Me, Kate      

T1           –RobertPeterson (3) With Wally Stott And His Orchestra*  Night And Day From Gay Divorce

T2           –RosalindPage* With Hill Bowen And His Orchestra             TonightFrom West Side Story              

T3           –RobertMandell Chorus And Orchestra*  SomewhereFrom West Side Story            

T4           –DoreenHume With Hill Bowen And His Orchestra TheyDidn't Believe Me From The Girl From Utah          

T5           –JohnnyDouglas And His Orchestra            TheParty's Over From Bells Are Ringing    

T6           –RobertMandell Chorus And Orchestra*  Give MyRegards To Broadway From Little Johnny Jones    

Bonus Record: Broadway Showstoppers

U1          –JamesWalker Chorus* And Orchestra*   Get Me ToThe Church On Time  

U2          –RichardBenson And His Orchestra            Summertime      

U3          –Wally Stott& His Orchestra         Taking AChance On Love

U4          –RonnieOgden And His Orchestra              MyHeart Stood Still        

U5          –Wally Stott& His Orchestra         I Guess I'llHave To Change My Plans        

U6          –RichardBenson And His Orchestra            WillYou Remember        

V1          –JamesWalker And His Orchestra*             MarchOf The Siamese Children  

V2          –JamesWalker Chorus* And Orchestra*   A BushelAnd A Peck        

V3          –RonnieOgden And His Orchestra              SayIt With Music            

V4          –Ken ThorneAnd His Orchestra    Bill        

V5          –RichardBenson And His Orchestra            

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 04/07/21 at 05:34:42

Everything on that list was recorded with the best tube microphones on the best tube tape machines, most live two track.

If you haven't heard this kind of stuff, it is the reference to beat.  It would be great for younger people into recording to experience this to widen their reference a bit.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 04/07/21 at 05:38:52

Of course this is primarily a message to the young, never underestimate old music.  Music knows no age, there is no such thing as old music.  Also there is no such thing as time, so music is all things at all times.  Listen to these records on a tube amp with a great set of headphones or high-end ear buds and discover what sound quality actually means.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 04/07/21 at 05:56:18

Right now I am listening to a killer organ LP that is dirty and full of pops and clicks...  how can I stand it!

Well, the noise believe it or not sounds EXACTLY like a campfire or fireplace burning wet wood.

I do mean EXACTLY.

It is SO detached from the music which sounds completely real, that it simply becomes a familiar backdrop to the music that if anything compliments rather than detracts from it.

Listen to vinyl.  

Discover it's seductive quality on a respectable vinyl rig, don't worry about pops and clicks... you will be way more alarmed when the campfire goes away and you can't understand why.

That said, the majority of my collection has nearly zero pops and clicks with a background equally as black as CD.  But when there is some noise there it just ads a familiar backdrop that baby boomers minds like mine can simply process as enjoyment.  It's the separation between that noise and the music... the gap is so huge the two don't register on the same screen of vision.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/07/21 at 06:41:49

It's amazing what my Degritter did to even the occasional pop and click.  There is a lot we accept in our vinyl that is just dirt!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/07/21 at 10:45:06

Quote:
Soon I will have a new holy grail DAC and will embellish it with a great tube preamp and anything else it might want to try to lessen the gap.

What's cooken?

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #7 - 04/10/21 at 14:04:27

I have a whole rubbermaid tub filled with reader's digest box sets.  They are mostly big band and classical. I inherited them from my wife's grandfather. All of the ones I played sounded very good.

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/01/21 at 17:36:33

I absolutely love this post from Steve. And this is how I remember feeling music some decades ago when I was into HiFi and the journey I am starting to reconnect with that after spending too much time in the digital world.
In particular:
"The highs almost broke glass but in the most satisfying way...  Truly audiophiles are forgetting what dynamics really are, as there is nothing on streaming services that will touch this"..."Actually what it sounds like is the big band came by your house, put your stereo out in the yard, came in the house, set up a live gig and showed you what it was suppose to actually sound like."... "Picture another planet where digital has been the technology for over 2.3 million years... someone created a phono cartridge - a fine jewel of magnatism that takes the music and creates a conduit for consciousness to breath into it changing the sound from real good, to real real."

Yeah I literally adore this post, you put feelings into words here.

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Quad mono 303 (x2) + 33 + FM3.
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Thorens TD160 MKII + SME III tonearm. Ortophon OM10.
Oppo CD/DVD.
Celestion Ditton 66 studio.
Lii F15 in Betsy type OB.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/10/23 at 18:49:44

From the shores of the Youghiogheny River, I been researching the area for vinyl, jumping in the car, and purchasing. Taking advice from others, my $540 2023 stereo budget is almost exhausted with purchasing new music.

Last week 163 vinyl albums were purchased. Average cost was 78 cents each. Includes Pink Floyd Dark Side of Moon sealed, complete set of Beethoven Bicentennial Edition 1770-1970 with book, Diana Ross Silk Electric, (2) Jesus Christ Superstar one box and one fold set, and on and on.

Still have $200 to dispose of. This Friday will be a search in a local vendors stock of DVDs for music concerts. He said he has them in his large maze of stock, I just have to look! Looks like a few hours to explore all he has in the tight corridors. Another vendor is willing to deal with CD's as low as 50 cents each of my choice and quantity of 25. Going to be an exhausting Friday!

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/10/23 at 19:30:21

John,

Have you been to Jerry Weber’s warehaouse in Swissvale? I’ve heard his son is running it now. Never been here. Previously the hours were real weird, I think it’s open Fri-Sunday. Jerry owned a few houses that he packed with records and housed employees. It was his goal to start selling it off before he passed.

After a few months hiatus from vinyl I spun some last night. I’ve got a Ned Clayton SUT being delivered Wednesday. Can’t wait to set that up and see if the Cinemag 1254’s live up to the hype.

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #11 - 04/10/23 at 19:53:46

Quote:
Posted by: Steve Deckert      Posted on: 04/06/21 at 20:34:35

Tonight I am spinning some vinyl, and without getting long winded (well scratch that),  as good as the digital has been getting on my digital journey, tonight I simply crushed it into the dirt.  My vinyl rig on a great sounding record is a force to wrecken with...

OK, I'll take the flip side (get it? ). My vinyl rig (in my sig) also sounds fantastic, with the the right records. Of which I have maybe a couple dozen. The other hundreds, overwhelmingly bought either used or as cut outs in the 80s and 90s, sound good but they in general can't compete either in sound or convenience with my digital. I bought a dozen or so new albums early in the lockdown, ranging from Bach to Brian Eno. And they all sound awful.  Bad pressings, and when I can get through the noise the music sounds like it was mastered from a beat up 8 track tape. And none of these cost less than 20 bucks. I'm not here to tell anyone how to buy and/or listen to their music, but I'm pretty much done with vinyl, except to spin a few unicorns to amaze my friends when they come over. JMO/YMMV and all that.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/10/23 at 20:07:21

JBz, you might possibly regret delaying a hardware purchase, but you will never regret jumping on a chance at fresh media.
Blow the budget!
Budgets are for wimps anyway.

Grin

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 04/11/23 at 00:34:21

I'm gonna tell ya, it is really hit or miss with audio in general! Seems even harder when vinyl is involved. I just about threw everything away after one frustrating problem after another.
So may years ago, I learned that the more experts that you involve with a problem the worse it gets.

Only just recently there has been a glimmer of hope for my vinyl replays. Got to have the cart set up correct. check. Gotta have a good recording. check. Gotta have things match between A through Z. check, well kind of. Gotta have a great phono pre... don't ask. I know more than I ever wanted about this part!
So, like I said things are coming together, though I am plenty shy at this point. Maybe real soon the UPS man will give that last piece that will change my mind forever.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/11/23 at 10:27:06

Sean,

Jerry passed January 2022. His son Willie has two floors in Swissvale full of vinyl and shellac. 78s on the top floor. His records are clean and covers fair to new. I purchased 40 or so and only had 3 that were very noisy the rest being good as new. He had no issue of taking those back and finding other better copies for me. One was not in stock so another artist was selected. The new owner of Jerry's buys from Willie. I was there on one of his unscheduled openings searching as a couple of guys from Jerrys were searching the back shelves. Willie is a cool dude and fun to talk to. He likes to deal and offer generous deals on quantity. I plan on taking him up on a $2 per record per 100 when the weather warms. It was just to damn cold in that warehouse to spend anymore time than a couple of hours. Best guess is he has well over 500,000 pieces of music in those corridors.

Country Joe McDonald was a album that Willie could not replace because of noise issues. He seemed startled that that album was in stock in his shelfs. He whisked it away to a secret location! Placed the other two out in the open to? Most likely to test at some other time. I found CJM "Goodbye Blues" on Discogs sealed. Still noisy but not as bad. Must be one of those bad pressings.

One more interesting thing is my biker friend Gerry passed the same month/year as Jerry. I never knew of Jerry's records at that time. Only had memories of a record place in Oakland back in the 70s. Gerry had no interest in the audiophile word other then my ramblings when we road.

We should meet up some time at Willies.

DD, not that I'm a hard ass but please note that my 2023 budget is almost depleted here in April 2023! I guess it really is gone being that Ed Pong is holding a recording session in June and the cost will consume that budget and more. But, the wife plans on accompanying me so it can be squeezed out of other funds Wink

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 04/11/23 at 11:59:51

I took the time to read this thread completely just now and realized part of last week's purchase included a Readers Digest Dyna Groove box set. It was included in a box of records purchased for $10 from a gentleman who lives near my camping area. He said the 40 vinyl records in the box was not too his fancy. He liked Elvis.

Exciting!
John

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/11/23 at 18:37:04

Hey, JBz, I meant that as a kind of tongue in cheek response. However the sentiment remains.
From my own experience, I have more in media than in gear, because of that sentiment.
Grin

I have had it easy lately, ripping three times through a closing store about to be auctioned before being torn to the ground by a bucket truck and hauled off in dumptrucks.  All of which has already happened, BTW.

Then, my friend's passing a while back instigated a search from his wife to find his old friend and yet another very large and FREE haul.

Now just before the holiday week end, she calls me again to report finding another stash of old records. "Can you please come and see to these? I just need to get them out of here." Bless her!

I will oblige her needs once again.

You talked about how Kharma can impact and I am not so sure I have deserved much of what has just landed in my lap lately.
I may have some updoing to do, soon.

Either way, my best is still in me somewhere, I feel certain.
Smiley

I force budgeting upon my twenty something, living with Dad kids most of the time, but I've done all that and I have worked hard. Now I feel it is my time to relax. Enjoy what I have and to where I have landed.

If I seek overtime, it will be spent in front of my sound system just past midnight usually. That is my Magic Time!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/11/23 at 18:48:07

BTW, I have actually found some very interesting collections from Columbia House, Reader's Digest and RCA which feature "Best Of ..."  and really nowhere else to find such recordings in any way a normal person can afford, aside from MP3s off some dodgy seller.

I have even enjoyed some of the old Television Studio recordings of Longines Symphonette. (sp?)
It is astounding what they did to produce such amazing musical content all intended for rebroadcast and to be enjoyed from a single eight inch speaker in the case of your having a top level TV at the time.
NOPE, the studio did it right and those recordings can stand beside any others produced in that era.

Anyway, yeah, sometimes old collections are the only way to go.

I can't really read much of what's on your "Hit Parade," but if it is anything like some I have found it is a great find, indeed.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 04/12/23 at 14:00:49

DD,

Right now there are 175 vinyl records that need cleaned before playing. My TT needs rebuilt. It still works good but fear of further capacitor degradation stymie me from furter use. I might just keep moving and buying during the summer months and spend next fall cleaning vinyl and rebuild the TT for a spell of hibernation during winter...listening.

Or,  maybe find a good deal on a TT while moving and and set her up in the MH....listening.

Time will tell all!

Best
John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 04/12/23 at 15:25:54

This is some of the cool stuff one might find in vinyl jackets. Can't stream this!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 04/12/23 at 15:53:20

...and the icing on the cake. This was found in the Popular Music Hit Parade just now. It was not noted anywhere else on the box. Not sure if it was placed in the box by a previous owner. Very cool. Anxious to play because it content includes original broadcast of such times as Truman's A-Bomb attack on Hiroshima, "Day of Infamy", Babe Ruth's Farewell to Baseball, etc.

Have a great day!
John

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #21 - 04/12/23 at 16:39:17

Very cool John.  I just acquired 50 used vinyl albums from my mother in law.  Sadly more than 3/4 were too badly scratched.  I was amazed at some of the inserts that came with the albums.  It killed me to junk the albums, but they were just unlistenable.  I can believe how much dirt my  spin clean pulled.  I had to change the water after 3-4 albums.  

I’ve got another score coming soon through my wife’s  friend at work….I anticipate these being ALOT better.

Fingers crossed 🤞

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 04/12/23 at 18:44:29

Very cool, indeed!
Two of my old 16RPM HUGE conscription discs have old historically important news broadcasts on them. My ancient Garrard table from the late '50s, made for these, doesn't spin anymore. I seem to be cursed with turntables that don't turn.

I have quite a backlog of record cleaning to do as well. I recently got one of those Vinyl Vacs to help with the process, but I am still doing a lot of hands on cleaning.
Seriously considering one of those Spin Clean product configurations to remove even more hands on steps.
All I really hear about them is that there are better products available, but those who use them have little negative to say.

I'm not made of money and that is the reason I clear the kitchen sometimes, cover every square inch of counter in microfiber and just gut it up, wash all I can do at one time.
The vac helps smooth things along, but I'm still learning it's strengths.

It's the deep cleaning of new acquisitions that takes so long and I hesitate to even start sometimes.
I feel if I could just drop a couple of dozen in the SpinClean every few days, vac them over, the process would become less daunting.

... or am I just dreaming?
Grin

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/12/23 at 18:54:54

Hey Dominick, I've had it go both ways with the "Oh, you like old records, ya want some?" type of findings.
I have gotten a few brag abouts, but I have often just donated the roughed up remains and never looked back.

Obviously, anything truly desirable you have to at least keep as a place marker, but ...

Don't allow sentiment to make the decision for you.
Wink

Good luck with the next batch!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 04/12/23 at 19:07:16

DD

I have a Spin Clean--and it suits my needs as I don't seek or accept really dirty old records, I buy what one might consider VG+ and above, and it does a decent if not spectacular job cleaning those. It may help you expedite parts of the phases in your cleaning methods.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #25 - 04/12/23 at 22:01:57

DD…. Yes at some point I will upgrade to a vac system.  For the time being I’m actually happy with the performance of the spin clean for the price.  

Like Lon….I normally only acquire VG or better records if I am buying used.  If they are freebies… then it’s just the luck of the draw.  The next batch should be of better quality….so at least it won’t take as long to clean and should yield more albums that I will like and actually play more frequently.  

I do enjoy hunting down albums in thrift stores since vinyl is going for a premium these days when buying new.  I am still waiting on the back ordered  all tube recording from Kevin Gray at Coherent Records.  In the meantime the hunt continues!!

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 04/12/23 at 22:42:18

John, yes we should meet up sometime over at the warehouse. Also, I've got two stuffed boxes of vinyl I've been planning on taking to donate. These are records from Jerry's he used to give away and stuff I've gotten over the years i'll never play again or have any interest in. I can hold onto to them for you if you want them. I don't want to dump trash on anyone, but if you're into looking through them I'll hold onto them for you.

I just came across this over on Needles n Grooves. The Humminguru ultrasonic cleaner. https://humminguru.com I've got a Chinese tank and a Vinyl Stack spinner that does 4 records at a time. The Vinyl Stack is no longer made. To be honest the ultrasonic adds a ton of time and ISN'T a silver bullet. For some records it's amazing, others just never seem to respond. For example, Brownout presents Brown Sabbath. Awesome record, but has surface noise that just won't away. It looks pristine, and the music covers up the noise, but in soft passages and between tracks it just won't go away.

For a couple months I was playing around with a DAC. I found it easier to get the room setup with digital. Past two nights I've been spinning records and wanted to burn the house down because something just didn't sound good. Fiddled with the tracking force and height and last night I had a really hard time turning things off. Somewhere along the way I tried putting the isolation pads under the feet of my Mofi table. BLEH, no good. Very low end disappeared, mids collided, just all around bad. I placed a board between the table and pads...holy cow what a huge difference! Can't wait to sit down a little later and make good noise.

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/13/23 at 04:14:44

Lon, Dom, it sounds to me like the SpinClean is the way to go as I move that way.

Goes along with what I have seen - those who have the Spin Clean are pleased; those who don't have them put them down. Go figure.

Like you guys, though, I generally do not even buy albums that aren't really clean "looking" from the start. I deep clean everything, though, no matter how good the condition appears to be.

I was mainly referring to those occasional gimmes that some offer, because you happen to be the only one they know with a "record player."
Luck of the draw at play.

I never say no.
Old gift horse saying and all.
Smiley

I often haunt the thrift stores, Dom.
I'll look through three or four hundred LPs and I'm lucky to find two or three to buy.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #28 - 04/13/23 at 08:56:23

DD….with the recent cleaning old family heirloom records that were probably never cleaned…only wiped down…I was impressed on how much dirt the spin clean removed.  Does a vac system do a better job….probably…but the spin clean is no slouch either.  I think you would be happy with it….especially for the price.  I was on a tear for a while locally looking for vinyl…so now it’s time to travel outside my immediate area and find some new thrift stores.

Dom

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 04/13/23 at 13:12:39

I agree that vinyl has to have very little, very little signs of handling to be purchased used. Even then it can be noisy and undesirable.

Buying local vinyl used is a relaxing social pastime. Last Saturday's visit at the Laural Mall one vendor had album prices higher then I would normally pay for used. There was a good selection of rock. We had an interesting conversation of music and equipment being about the same age. Even though nothing was purchased from him, I left with a location to visit on the bike trail. Another vendor had a large selection of jazz and rock for a $1. Upon looking at the vinyl condition there will not be a return visit at that booth. Then there was this guy who sold the $10 box of 40 vinyl records. We had a brief conversation on his porch. When walking up his driveway towards my car with the box of records between my arms a interesting conversation formed with him posted on the porch. It was getting close to the time of being expected back at camp for dinner, I just got done with a tuff ride with friends on the trail, and the box was getting heavier so it was cut short...go figure.

Sean, sure hold on to the boxes. I have some duplicates you might be interested in and can have. Be back in the area in May. Will text you to figure out a day to visit Willie. He said that his hours are from 10 to 3 Thursday Friday Saturday.

John

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #30 - 04/13/23 at 15:55:54

Quote:
Posted by: JBzen      Posted on: Today at 05:12:39

...Buying local vinyl used is a relaxing social pastime. Last Saturday's visit at the Laural Mall one vendor had album prices higher then I would normally pay for used...

Yeah, I haven't bought much vinyl in the last 10-15 years but I still enjoyed browsing, and haven't done that since the lockdown. Then a couple days ago Mrs. CA and I were walking to dinner and I saw a sign for a used record store I didn't know existed. Mostly classic rock from back in the day: Steve Miller, Michael Jackson, Pretenders, of course Frampton Comes Alive, and I was floored by the prices. They were going for $30 - $50!?!?!? and they were NOT pristine, not close. It was a fairly upscale neighborhood, and when I walked in the guy said everything was 5 dollars off, but still. I don't know if there are hipsters buying this stuff or what.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #31 - 04/14/23 at 00:20:54

Man, I hate walking back a statement. Yes, it HAS been a long and winding road, this vinyl thing. And yes, in fact I do regret some of it. BUT THEN, something weird happens. Vinyl is temporarily redeemed. Pretty simple really. I disconnected my line preamp from the system, and went straight to the power amp from the phono preamp. Years ago, I had put in mono attenuators on the back of the amp, and then forgot about them. Words will fail what I heard next, very much to my surprise. No hum, no noise, no sh##t. The tonal balance was perfect as I had ever heard in any of my systems over the years. I am still slapping my forehead over this one. I have tried this before IIRC with a CD player and found that it wasn't worth the trouble. Yes, it probably sounded a bit better, but was a little more of a hassle.
Some of you already know where I am headed next. A friend of mine in Denver is sending up a high dollar passive preamp made by Khozmo? And no it really isn't in a Khozmo chassis. But is has maybe the fancy 'naked' resistors made by I forget, and even a remote (I had to quick make a 5vdc power supply for this).  It just has an in and an out. Done. Not saying that I would buy one of these for about $700, but do want to at least see if the combination works, and then likely build my own for a bunch less. More later, less sooner.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 04/14/23 at 20:51:37

4krow, I'm with you on the long, winding road. Sometimes vinyl can be downright frustrating. Glad you found the issue with your setup.

Yesterday I received a Ned Clayton Cinemag 1254 SUT. I had been using a AT630 SUT. AT used to package them with MC carts way back. When I started using it I thought it was pretty decent. NOPE. This new to me SUT has blown the doors wide open over that little barrel. For a few months I was into digital files and made some great progress on that side. So much so it stomped my vinyl playback. I was not happy about that as I've got $1000's more invested on the vinyl side. Now with the cinemags I've got wall to wall, ceiling to floor smooth sound. The stage reaches out and pulls me in. This is where I've wanted to be for many years, so that feels great.

As for vinyl acquisitions, I forgot or mentally blocked this. Last spring my aunt called me up and said she had a few boxes of records and a "device" that can digitize records. Device you say??? Well...I now own a Crosley. After a year it's never been turned on, I just can't. She mentioned the records and device were my inheritance, but she wanted some of the records recorded. I've been laying low on that front. Out of the four boxes of records I think I found maybe a dozen that were decent enough to play and within my interest. If she does start hounding me for the recordings, I'll use my Scarlett 2i2 on a decent table to achieve that. That Crosley just ain't happening!

About 5 years ago, a friend tells me his aunt and uncle divorced and left two boxes of records in the garage and he didn't think they were ever coming back for them. This was a good haul, some original Doors pressings and the big winner...a white label promo of Black Sabbath's self titled debut album. To make it even better, my friend's wife worked at FYE and had Pearl Jam's first two albums SEALED! They both have a slight warp, but still play perfectly. You never know what someone has when they say "old records"...could be boom or bust!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #33 - 04/15/23 at 00:33:00

Heh heh, that reminds of when someone say that they are a woodworker. They show you the goods and it turns out to be painted lawn ornaments. How do you respond?

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 04/15/23 at 12:49:30

I spent yesterday at the Laural Mall spending a whopping $51. Purchased 24 DVD boxes which consisted of concerts, documentaries, and music shows. Most were purchased from a vendor that seemed to be overstocked on purchases. His tight corridors are littered with items that needed moved or walked over finding a solid landing spot for one foot while stretching over other items to search various shelfs. Spent over 3 hours looking and found 22 DVD boxes. Not really much to get excited about but a source to draw from in those long winter months.

While searching in his maze, an Akai AP-Q60 turntable was uncovered! It did not have a shell set and the weight rail had a drooping appearance. The dust cover has a few scratches but fully intact. It was missing the 45 spindle adapter.

This vendor is a elderly black man who seemed to run several booths adjacent and across from each other. He like to sit in about the middle of a main corridor of the mall eyeing his turf. I crawled out of the booth with the maze of DVDs and asked him about the Akai. He said that it was just acquired and he had not checked it out. "Make me an offer" he said. I asked if there was a place to plug it in there(DVD booth)? "No but there is a plug right there across there" from where he sat. So, I had to become a contortionist again and maneuver the littered maze of DVD free standing shelfs mixed with tables of glassware that probably was decoratively placed for sale well before the onslaught of DVD inventory placement. I did well and did not break anything during the whole time in that area.

The Akai was plugged in and it turned, auto functions worked, and pad was in great shape. Every thing seemed to function but the strobe light(neon) was out. My thoughts were this is a much more stable platform then the cheap ION player purchased for use in cleaning records. Another platform could be used to further expedite the cleaning process. And, on the other hand, there is a old complete shell set at home that will lock into the Akai's tonearm, the neon light could be replaced or maybe it is just a fuse, and the droopy weight rail may just need the screw tightened.

"$25 dollars" I said. He responded "I can do that". At this point, I found 18 DVDs in the maze and decided to purchase all and turntable to place in the car. There was still a couple of DVD bins against the wall in the maze covered with more stuff and items that needed shuffled around to even approach the bins that would complete my search of his goods. So, in I went. Found another 4 with one being a 12 DVD set. Went back to his perch and he looked at what was in hand and said, "$5, you buy a lot off me".

All in all it was a good haul and experience. I left without one cut or bruise even though shorts and sandals were worn. Got a workout and met some interesting good folks with many stories exchanged. It's just great to be alive!

John

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #35 - 04/15/23 at 15:39:49

John…sounds like today was a total score you!  Awesome!!  I’ve been on the hunt locally for a cheap turntable to aid in my vinyl cleaning.  

I just spoke to my co worker this morning to remind him about his vinyl collection in his basement to pull out.  It’s kinda buried…so he has to have his son get them out. He said all of his albums are in really good condition.  The big anticipation is that he said he has a lot of The Beatles which my wife loves.  He said he even has some rare old 78 singles… so needless to say I’m stoked!  

Just purchased on Discogs The Grease Soundtrack that was pressed in London.  Apparently the London pressing is superior than the USA pressing’s with the RSO label.  This was always a favorite album….so I’m sure it will get a lot of play.

Happy Hunting!!

Dom

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #36 - 04/15/23 at 20:25:44

Dom,

You remind me that back in the day when I owned a Technics DD, I was able to brush the records with a little bit of force because the TT had a great amount of torque. I am not saying that you shouldn't be careful with this method, but getting ahold of an old DD, high torques TT may provide the solution that you seek for cleaning.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 04/16/23 at 11:32:41

Grease! My girls played the movie and sound track to death when growing up. It is etched in my head and brings back very fond memory's.

I spent another $32 dollars at the mall yesterday on music. Went there with intent just to zero in on general hardware purchases. One item sought-after was a collapsible garage can(ours blew away the other week during a storm). The vendors got a kick out of me asking several times for it over the few visits! Well, I spied one yesterday at a vendor who had a ton of DVDs and bins of albums. I searched most of his DVDs the last trip so decided to finish looking over the rest. Big mistake! His shelfs had zero music DVDs.

The vinyl bins are next to the shelfs. In haste during the last visit the albums looked to be in poor condition and not to my taste so got brief attention flipping thru some. This time at first look David Sanborn "Voyeur" was found in excellent condition. Game on!

To make a long story short, 30 more vinyl records and one more DVD(found at a different vendor) made it too my trunk. The collapsible can was thrown in free by the vendor with the albums purchased.

I found another Readers Digest sealed in the bins also.

There is another turntable avaiable at the vendor where the Akai was found. I think it is a Garrard. There is a plan to jump back in his maze for CDs. I'll see what it can be had for.

John

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #38 - 04/17/23 at 12:51:50

4krow….thanks.  If I can get an old DD table I think with that and the addition the spin clean…it will give me better results than with just the spin clean alone.  

John… good find!!  I had been looking at shops for a while for a good used copy of Grease…but knowing it will get a good amount of play…I opted to seek out a pristine copy.  When I dug deeper on the Hoffman forums…I found a discussion that lead me to the London pressing.  I’ll post my impressions once I get it house.  

I used to listen to a lot of Sanborn years ago when I used to spin CD’s.  After I cataloged my entire collection to digital….which took forever….I then began to stream to explore new music.  I may have to throw him on for old times sake.

Dom

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #39 - 04/17/23 at 17:32:39

Dom,

I am kinda where you are, almost. I have yet to transfer my CD's to file, but the few that I have are really great sounding. I am looking for a CD ripper with some storage for a one box answer to this. Yes, I do own Raven's computer that makes this possible, but never got good enough with it to just to find an album and play it. Rather it was multiple steps (easily forgotten) and became too much for me to appreciate. I understand not much beyond a light switch for function.

Anyway, Yes, I bet there is a TT out there that will suit your cleaning needs. Keep us in the loop. Might be a worthy cause for me to investigate.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #40 - 04/18/23 at 02:57:00

4krow,

A one box solution for CD ripping is definitely convenient and easy way to move everything over.  I guess is just depends on how crazy you want to get with it.   If you don’t care about the song list, metadata, and album cover art…then cd ripper with onboard storage is the way to go.  

I wanted all of that information captured to make it easier to see the albums on my PC….and I like the song information displayed when I pipe the info onto my TV screen through Roon.   Plus I had a ton of CD’s that I personally created from cassette tapes, and I wanted all that info contained in the metadata…which meant I had to edit the id3 tags for each song.  

It was a huge undertaking but I’m glad I took the extra time.  Plus I wanted the CD’s ripped bit perfect, so I sought out a CD ripper on the Mac that had the features that I wanted (the name slips me at the moment).  What was nice about this program…it allowed me to create multiple files of th same song I different formats.  My archive file that never gets touched is a FLAC file, and the other file was an AIFF format that is  compatible with the Apple platform.  

Dom

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 04/18/23 at 10:24:50

4krow,

I found that placing to much pressure on a platter with DD turntables will stall the motor and blow a fuse if stalled to long. I use to just spin the table without power with one index finger on the label while using the Discwasher brush with the other hand dry cleaning the record. Belt drivers do not like too much pressure either before stalling with a chance of overheating the stalled belt creating a chance to introduce flutter when playing vinyl.

Sunday the vender with the turntable was not present so maybe next weekend. He did mention that Sunday morning was church day and he shows up later in the day. I had enough before noon!

I did find one more music DVD Eric Clapton "Unplugged". Mostly Sunday was a general hardware haul.

I had a plan this month for things with camping but it seems that this music search has taken over those plans! Thank goodness for budgets. Only $80 to go and hope for enough grit to stop at that mark!

John

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 04/18/23 at 19:48:00

This is a replacement motor that can be used in VPI record cleaners.
https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-AC-Gearmotor-18-RPM-Nameplate-52JE29?opr...

If you guys are handy you would need a flange to connect a platter to the motor. The motors are high torque/low speed. Applying pressure to the platter shouldn't slow it down.

Other alternatives are old bread maker or rotisserie motors.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #43 - 04/18/23 at 22:32:14

HA! HA! As usual, I misread the post. I read that there is a replacement motor for VPI turntables from Grainger. Worse yet they are 18 RPM. I am still laughing at myself. I love my brain. It is very entertaining on a daily basis.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 04/18/23 at 22:41:40

Nice find, Sean! I like your idea of repurposing what you find.

Back when collecting odd minerals and geological amateurism interest was a thing I did a lot of, I took an old garage door opener motor 3/4HP, length of large PVC pipe and made a very dependable and usable rock tumbler to clean and, sometimes for the pretty ones, polish them up to a shine.
Polishing can take weeks, though.
It takes a strong motor to run for weeks at a time at slow RPM spinning thirty pounds of rocks, water and polishing media.
Grin

Guessing a couple of those $5 bread machines at the thrift store are about to experience an autopsy and a revive.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 04/19/23 at 00:01:24

Since the 18rpm made you chuckle, here's a funnier one. My buddy and I would go to Jerry's Records on Saturday mornings. If the weather was nice the garbage garage would be open. Everything $1-3. My buddy sought out cool looking jackets to try new stuff. So we leave with a stack and a few hours later I get a text, "you HAVE to hear this". To say Erik was an intense guy was an understatement. I got these messages a lot and you never knew what the hell he was up to. This particular time I went over and in 2-3 minutes knew something was way off. He bought a 45RPM record and was LOVING it at 33. Heavy to say the least. I asked him to try 45 for a second and he almost busted a rib laughing when he realized what he did. From then on he wanted to run for congress just to pass a law that you must post the speed on the jacket!

Happened to me once with a live Justin Townes Earle record. I didn't know his stuff, just the name. It sounded like the guy had major drunk going and they pushed him out on stage anyhow.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #46 - 04/19/23 at 03:39:34

OMG! I have a twin!!! Such a great story, but HE is NOT the only one. I can't believe that I am repeating this decades later. It is about a cassette that I found in the bargain bin. I recognized the group from what a friend of mine told me. It was bay the  (guy) Synergy. The album was Cords (not chords). It is strange music to be sure, but i hadn't ever heard it before, so I popped it into the cassette player and listened to what sounded like whale songs with guitars/synthesizers. Drug music to be sure. Ok, here is where it gets weirder. I liked the album enough to buy the record. Out it on the Turntable, and Whop! wait a tick, that's not right! What happened? It plays much faster now.
The bargain tape was stretched a LOT. Might still have that tape somewhere.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 04/19/23 at 11:10:19

This one would be better for the vinyl vac:
https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-AC-Gearmotor-1-1-RPM-Nameplate-52JE26
There is also a 6rpm available that would work depending on the setup.
18 rpm is to fast IMO.
If starting from scratch, the motors above would be the way to go.

The one below fits my scheme and a cheap replacement that held up well so far:
CHANCS TYC-50 Small Synchronous... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013M54JEM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks Sean.
John

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #48 - 04/20/23 at 16:11:12

Now I am just going to get silly with over thinking here, so brace yourselves. I remember back in my short lived woodturning days, most lathes were joke power wise. The Shop Smith for example, which i owned at the time had a 1/2 horsepower motor. About good enough for turning a pencil.
As I looked into expensive stuff, I found out something about getting what exact speed that you wanted and the torque to go with it. In short, DC motors were powerful at just about any speed compared to AC motors. So, a slow speed can be had with not over the top, but not fuse blowing either performance. Yah, I guess that the price just went up unless you can find what you want used or something.
Finally, i go back to the Technics TT that I had, because it never showed any strain while brushing records (Discwasher brush that had some grip).

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 04/25/23 at 10:53:17

That must have been a 50's Shopsmith! The 70's have 3/4hp motors. Granted there is better equipment out there for woodworking but a Shopsmith has good capability with a skilled user and sharp tooling!

The main reason for an additional platter for cleaning is to apply the cleaning solution letting it rest while another record is being processed with the vinyl vac on my cleaning rig. The motor will not be used. The platter and dust cover will be utilized. Tone arm will be removed along with power cord and ICs. 1/4" allthread will be attached to the spindle accommodating a label saver.

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print