Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:42:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UPDATED AND UPGRADED PARTS LIST? (Read 5408 times)
Carbon13
Verified Member

UPDATED AND UPGRADED PARTS LIST?
04/03/21 at 17:16:20

Hi There,

First time poster. I have to say that actually posting on this forum is the most challenging forum I have ever experienced! Tricks to register, ok I get that for not getting bots but I almost gave up and I was lucky to find Steve's post about the trick to register.

Then I wrote my first post, finally got my revised parts list to show up and I get a message that I have to post 2 "regular" posts first. DOH!! Smiley

OK, so here's #1!!

IP Logged
Carbon13
Verified Member

Re: UPDATED AND UPGRADED PARTS LIST?
Reply #1 - 04/03/21 at 17:17:27

And here's my second... Smiley

IP Logged
Carbon13
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/03/21 at 17:22:10

OK, so now that's out of the way...

I'm really interested in building the ZKIT but want to make sure all the parts are readily available as I noted some of the listed parts are backordered or obsolete on mouser. I've created an updated parts list that includes some replacement parts, some "upgrades" I've read about, anniversary mods and items relevant to a chassis mount build. I was hoping someone more experienced would be willing to take a look and make sure that my parts are appropriate for the ZKIT build and, suggest any other upgrades I may wish to consider? Thanks in advance!!

IP Logged
bobc

Reply #3 - 04/10/21 at 00:31:06

Hi. Haven't seen a response, so if it helps.

Its a lot to go through the list and x-ref everything. That said.... I have built this circuit up a few times (including stock zkit2).

For parts. Main thing is voltage rating. Second thing is I've only used carbon on plate resistors.

Focus on the .1 caps in the main signal path. The rest filter the power supply, which you hear of course, but I think a little less audible. If you have large cool caps and crazy long leads could create issues too. Good news,  you have flexibility. The board is built like a tank and support multiple part removal replacements if you are careful.

Enjoy!

IP Logged
Carbon13
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/19/21 at 18:22:14

Thanks for the reply! I decided that I may be safer to go with a bottlehead kit for my first one as it seems a bit more straightforward and everything is essentially included in the kit. That said, I'm still very interested in trying out Decware gear at some point. Maybe a zen amp sometime in the future.

IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #5 - 05/02/21 at 03:07:48

You can also look into Oddwatt or Elekit. Oddwatt offers their Podwatt for $750. It is an EL84 push pull amp and uses Edcor transformers. It has three inputs and puts out about 5 watts.

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
nipsy
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 11/29/21 at 19:02:46

Thank you, Carbon13 for posting the updated parts list. This made it very easy for me to track down and order the parts. I ordered the zkit1 circuit board and hope to start building once all the parts come in. A bit of a wait for the power transformers, though.

I've never made anything like this before and have no idea what I'm doing. One of those "seemed like a good idea at the time projects..." I'm sure I'll start a thread once I begin. Thanks in advance for all your support !

IP Logged
Eleveniseven
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 12/27/21 at 07:29:16

Hey Nipsy, which chassis are you going to use?
I’ll be starting mine soon too

IP Logged
nipsy
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 12/27/21 at 21:01:21

I'm debating between doing a simple wood mount as suggested in the directions and using a prefab Hammond chassis.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/HWCHAS1310BK?qs=vhu28...

I'm pretty clueless and not really good at making things that require attention and precision so I anticipate this to be a real good challenge for me. The Hammond chassis route seems like it would be easier with regard to holding input, outputs, and the power cord/switch more securely.

My practice solder board arrives on Wednesday and I'll start there to gain some confidence with my soldering technique.

All of my parts arrived with the exception of the transformers, which are slated for an early March arrival.

The potentiometer I ordered has only three prongs and the circuit board requires 6. I'm not sure what to do here...run two wires from each prong or purchase a 6 prong potentiometer. Any thoughts ?

IP Logged
Eleveniseven
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 01/02/22 at 05:42:13

That’s a nice enclosure. I was thinking I’d just go with the metal ones.
On the volume pot, I haven’t studied the circuit, but I’d guess the board is using a stacked pot. Like a 2 gang. I could be wrong. Someone else I’m sure knows for sure

IP Logged
galtjunk
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 01/26/22 at 16:07:14

Do the 33uf electrolytic caps have both a .33uf and a .1uf cap for the anniversary mod?

IP Logged
galtjunk
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 01/26/22 at 17:20:56

Would a single .47uf 600v cap work?
Is there a reason for a .33 and a .1uf?

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/29/22 at 16:17:15

I had this same question when I did mine and after a bit of research learned that you are gaining different sonic character from each of the caps, so don’t use a .47, use the .33 and the .1, and yes, all stacked with the 33. So three caps total per channel. Make sure you are using the latest schematic because there was an error in the schematic earlier in 2021 regarding the resistor connection on the anniversary mod.

The more studying I did during my build the more I realized that Steve is a master. These amps are highly acclaimed and everything there is there for a reason.

IP Logged
one6180339
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 02/24/22 at 00:58:05

I recently completed my first build and have been working on documenting the experience. Attached PDF shows the original list of parts from the Decware website and a column for the actual parts I used when they differed from the Decware bill of material. I added comments for the items I changed.

Links are provided for all items.

All of the hardware for mounting to the wood board was obtained from Menards and Home Depot.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/24/22 at 04:23:26

I hope those eBay tubes work out for you. I did the same thing and spent a lot of time trouble shooting what I thought was amp issues, then I got some quality matched tubes and all the problems went away.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print