03/28/24 at 10:59:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware and Maggies (Read 3622 times)
Stovebolt
Verified Member

Decware and Maggies
04/03/21 at 00:42:17

Howdy - new to the forum but have been eyeing the Zen Triode for quite some time now.  Here's my dilemma:  I have a pair of Magnepan 1.7s.  I believe they run about 86db at 4 ohms.  I've been running an Adcom 555 but would love to try out some tube gear.  My fear is that the Triode won't have the oomph to push the 1.7s.  Admittedly my reference to maggies power-hungry nature is only hear-say.  What do you folks think?  Super Zen?  Mini-Torii?  Torii Jr?  

I live on a budget so I'd like to keep the price down before I dive into the Decware world whole hog.  

Thanks for the advice

Stovebolt

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Decware and Maggies
Reply #1 - 04/03/21 at 01:00:43

Welcome! I think you need at least a Torii and possibly the Mystery Amp for those speakers from all I've read. I'd love to be wrong and hear that the Torii Jr. would drive them, but I suspect voices of experience will guide you to the highest powered models.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/03/21 at 01:02:37

Stovebolt,

No way Jose' on the Super Zen. The Magnepan 1.7's need LOTS of power to sound their best. Look for a used Torii or ditch those speakers for a nice Lii Audio 15 open baffle set up.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/03/21 at 01:04:47

If my memory is correct, I think Steve tried Maggies with the ZMA and posted about it in the original ZMA development thread.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/03/21 at 02:54:41

Welcome Lin,
I have owned 2 sets of Maggies.   Can't remember the model of the first pair but they were the small entry level panels and then the 1.7 and I can tell you for a fact that driving Maggies is not just about power.  It's also about synergy.  They do like tube amplifiers.

I drove the first entry level pair with the first NAD 40 watt solid state.  That will tell you how far back I'm going.  The 1.7 I drove with a 50 wastt SET Chinese made amp.  Yes I was on a very limited budget at the time.

Some of my favourite combinations were the 1.7 with ARC amplifiers.  The very first pair that I heard were the Tympani, 3 panels per side driven by an ARC 100watt tube amp!  That's what started this... adventure.  The others were the 1.7 with an ARC 60 watt tube amp.

A couple of years ago I heard a pair of 1.7 (I think, same size as the 1.7) driven by a Naim 50w Integrated.  I've also heard them with with higher power amps and I preferred the tube amp combos but these were 50W+.  
tube amps.

My point is that in addition to power synergy is as important.  In fact there were some amps that they just did not like, tubes or SS, regardless of power and they sure let you know it.

Will they work with Decware amps?  I don't know.  If I were going to try I would start with the Torii series amps and a good pre amp like the CSP-3.  If that doesn't work, sell them and get different speakers.  

The Decware system that I have has been the most satisfying systems of all the ones that I have owned.    

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/03/21 at 02:57:18

Sorry, should have said welcome Stovebolt...

IP Logged
Stovebolt
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/04/21 at 19:30:00

Thanks for the advice!  I don't know if I'm ready to drop $3-4k plus to experiment with the maggies but I do have a second system, in a smaller room, composed of old Rotel equipment and an older pair of Infinity speakers that are far more efficient.  Maybe thats a good place to start with the Super Zen to find out if I think the upgrade is worth the investment.  Maybe marry it up to a pair of those Betsys.  

Geez!  Listen to that.  Is this what its like when people get hooked on pain-killers?  I want more, more, more...  Me and disposable income are on our way to a Haitian divorce.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/04/21 at 20:56:07

Good plan. You can't beat transitioning to a Zen amp and Caintuck Audio Betsy or even better Lii 15 baffle combo for the money. It will put a permanent sh*t eating grin on your face every time you listen.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/04/21 at 23:23:31

Stovebolt,
I have an affinity to the characteristics of panel type speakers.  Had Maggies, love electrostatic panels.  I now have Omegas S3HOXRS with a CSP3-A and UFO25.  I do not miss the Maggies at all as I have all of the characteristics of the panel speakers along with the the characteristics that are missing with some panels.

I may get into OB speakers soon.  Not because I'm wanting for anything except more...more...more!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 04/07/21 at 03:24:55

Quote:
Geez!  Listen to that.  Is this what its like when people get hooked on pain-killers?  I want more, more, more...  Me and disposable income are on our way to a Haitian divorce.

Hehe, it would be like that if pain killers didn't run out every month... plus the side effect of this drug is health.

I have a pair of small Maggies on my bench hanging from the ceiling so that I can test the 2 watt zen on music at full volume just before clipping on real music without it getting too loud.  It sounds great but perhaps for late night listening in the bedroom.

I like your idea of a small zen with your Infinities.  That will be enough of a tease to get you hooked for sure.  The Betsy will have you rethinking the meaning of the universe for awhile...  let the fun begin!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print