Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:33:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Solid State vs Tube rectifier (Read 3081 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Solid State vs Tube rectifier
03/21/21 at 23:01:09

I've noticed some Decware amps have tube rectifiers and some don't.  Am I reading it correctly when I see the specs?

When I see something like this:
RECTIFICATION: ULTRA FAST RECOVERY 3 AMP 1000V

...this means SS rectification, doesn't it?

It seems that a tube rectifier would allow for sonic differences when using different tubes.  However, if the rectifier is SS, what shapes the sound? Or does it make a difference?

Curious minds want to know.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Solid State vs Tube rectifier
Reply #1 - 03/21/21 at 23:08:07

You are correct, that does designate solid state rectification. I have had a tube amp in the past from Steve with solid state rectification and my ZTPRE utilizes that as well. I can safely say that the electrical parameters that Steve chooses are really great.  . .I haven't missed "rolling rectifiers" and I actually like having that as an "anchor" for the overall sound of the component.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/22/21 at 00:48:41

Tube rectification is fine for low power, but as power goes up it is less practical.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/22/21 at 01:23:10

More powerful amps than the Mystery Amp and the Torii Monos then. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 03/22/21 at 01:57:18

The rectifier is just one part of the power supply, which is just one part of the amp. Everything else being equal I prefer tube rectification, but everything else is never equal so IMO one really ought to be looking at the component in its entirety rather than focusing on one particular part choice. Both tube and solid state rectifiers can sound great if the rest of the circuit takes advantage of what they do best.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/22/21 at 02:00:23

What tubes do the ZMA and Monos use for rectification?

How many tubes would you like to use for rectification in a higher power amp?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 03/22/21 at 03:37:35

I'm sorry I read your statement wrong. I thought you were saying the opposite, I read it too quickly as I was being asked to put my attention elsewhere.

I don't know enough about high powered tube amplification beyond the Torii to know what tubes would work.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/22/21 at 07:18:49

No rectifier tube on the ZMA.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/22/21 at 17:05:51

Okay, without a tube rectifier, is it the pre-amp tube that affects the tone the most? It would seem to me that a SS rectifier is neutral and adds nothing sonically.  Is that correct?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 03/22/21 at 18:22:33

IMO it's as neutral as a tube is neutral--I am sure it is chosen for a "voice."

In these components I think all parts have an influence.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/22/21 at 20:10:24

SS rectifiers have very low internal impedance, and it takes a pretty large and very sudden current draw before they 'sag.'

From what I've read over the years, the difference in power supply performance between SS and tube rectification is not very significant in lower power applications.

I think the ZTPRE uses a SS rectifier because of Decware's intention for it to be the cleanest and most 'neutral' sounding pre, and then also, the differential circuit used in this model draws twice the current of the CSP preamplifier. Another not inconsequential consideration is that some gargantuan tube rectifier would be completely out of kilter with the form factor of that particular component.

I'm pretty sure that any Decware amplifier would sound fantastic using  SS rectification, and could possibly make the amp cost just a bit less. But I'm also fairly certain that Mr. Deckert is very much in tune with the extra 'tweakability' factor of using tube rectifiers, and how much that  particular facility is valued by many tube aficionados.

The ZMA and Torii Mono amps' current requirements are such that tube rectification was no longer 'sonically feasible.' It wasn't necessarily the amount of current, as such, but the speed, the quick PS response required to be a Decware amp that tipped the balance in favor of SS in that situation.

It would seem to me that a SS rectifier is neutral and adds nothing sonically.  Is that correct?

There are different brands of SS rectifiers, with different technologies, with much variation in performance, just as with tube rectifiers. Read this link: https://github.com/rootscript/audio-dump/blob/master/Best-sounding-SS-Rectifiers...
.md. I don't see a consensus in that discussion as to which of the many SS rectifiers considered is 'neutral,' or 'most neutral.'

As pointed out in Lon's post above, one can roll tube rectifiers to obtain one's own notion of 'neutral' to his heart's content. In fact, this can be done to some extent with some of those SS rectifiers made for use with adapters to plug into a tube rectifier socket. Then, just like with tubes, one can choose which SS plug-in rectifier he finds 'most neutral.'

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/25/21 at 23:12:48

I don’t know out of the many SS rectifiers I have subbed into vintage guitar amps of any that influenced or colored the tone; the main objective there was to correct for voltage sag that broke up the low end before the mids or highs. So I’m thinking in any of Steve's amplifiers you'd have a neutral result whereas in my case the object was for even distribution of distortion as a single guitar tone.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/26/21 at 00:44:41

Voltage sag is also a problem with higher power audio amps, bass becomes sloppy/loose.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/26/21 at 17:59:31

I agree, it takes a bucket load of current to reproduce the longer waves and that’s compounded by the lack of mechanical efficiency of the low frequency drivers. I still think the SS rectifiers are generally pretty neutral.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 03/27/21 at 06:07:51

And therein lies the rub, in that many people read "generally" as to be "in every instance."

SS amps and pre-amps are considered 'pretty neutral' compared to tube amps, and a great many dismiss tube amps outright in deference to that very unscientific 'truthism.' OTOH, there are a number of audiophiles who've had one or several highly regarded SS amps in their system who nevertheless eventually settled upon a tube amp or pre-amp for their system. It's not likely because they were actively seeking 'less neutrality.'

For those seeking -greater overall accuracy- even when listening at high SPL via inefficient loudspeakers, a tube pre-amp in front of a SS amp is a fairly common strategy.

But the whole notion of what constitutes 'neutral' in the first place is absolutely not scientific, and not even in the realm of psychoacoustics. The latter term starts with measured physical and biological response, and then onto studies of human auditory perception of various changes in a number of sonic attributes. In the audio world, neutrality is in fact a subjective term, defining an arbitrarily derived notion of purported objectivity.  And then that term being arbitrarily assigned as a measure of 'accuracy.'

I am reminded of those who claim to prefer a 'warts and all' (or what I call 'that lab coat sound') presentation because they think it is more neutral. In this estimation, more record surface noise and louder pops and tics are taken as indication of greater neutrality, when in fact this greater noise is because the cartridge or phono pre or pre-amp or amplifier or speakers -are conspicuously deficient in regard to transient response-. The most accurate sources/electronics/speakers do not 'hide' various physical or electronic extrainia, but neither do they bleat it with a trumpet announcement on every occurrence, as do many of these so-called 'neutral' components.

I'm not saying that the term (neutral) is invalid, but it cannot be denied that many a false assumption has invoked this term to nefarious purpose, even that not being the intention.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/28/21 at 01:24:50

Interesting post Edsonic. I agree with your thoughts for the most part, though they did cause me to want to try to further flesh out our use of terminology. No doubt, our audio terms tend to be overlaid with various levels of subjectivity... but I also think/hope they can be used with relative accuracy. And complicating challenges in talking about perceptions of complex things, it seems semantics can be pretty subjective too!

I love to roll rectifiers, my most rolled tubes these days. But I am also intrigued by solid state rectifiers and their potential from less sag. Yet my amps were designed and voiced for tube rectifiers, and in my systems I prefer milder but still complete and resolving sounding lower power rectifiers...like a relatively transparent GZ32 over a relatively transparent GZ34, the latter too forceful for me across the spectrum.

So one concern I have with solid state rectifiers... As I uncover natural sounding resolution and space, more there, it is more important to me to keep my system from becoming unnaturally forceful. And since SS rectifiers are said to increase the voltage to the other tubes, I find increases in voltage or amperage tend to create a bigger, fuller and more forceful sound, none of which am I looking for. So I have some concerns that a "neutral" SS rectifier might off-balance my system making it less neutral.

Any thoughts on this from those of who have used SS rectifiers?

To me, the term "neutral" brings to mind "natural," having natural balances of real music in decent rooms, nothing missing and nothing overstated.

And though recordings are intended to be relatively accurate to the music, recording choices depend on the variances of ideas of "neutrality" used in tuning recording spaces and control rooms, as well as the choices of mixing and mastering folks. So played in a relatively "neutral" system/room, we end up with some recordings being pretty balanced and neutral, and others thick or lean, bass heavy or shy, bright or dull, etc. This recording variability to me makes a relatively neutral system/room, (without much exaggeration of any part of the very complex sonic balance) a necessity for getting what I consider a more alive sound across recordings.

Then, if we choose to try to enhance our sound with more musical presentation than studios, I think this can still be fairly neutrally done. Or system enhancement can be balanced away from neutral. But to me, having "neutral" as a reference is pretty handy to adjust from, making it easier to avoid going too far toward bass or treble, or detail or smoothness, or whatever, and still playing well across most recordings. So whatever the reasons, for me, more extreme unevenness across recordings in their ability to sound relatively balanced and lively can be a good sign of lack of system/room neutrality.

With really good front ends that do little damage, having complete detail/space complexity and good balance, I find good tube tuning can support not hiding or masking, but helping to musically resolve "the warts and all" into music. Within relative neutrality, my efforts for fast, resolving, lucid, and spectrally and harmonically complete sound, tend to make it feel realer. Whereas, even in subtly sweetening the sound by bringing out its natural complexity in smooth, resolving, and harmonically rich ways, if not fairly neutral, problems will show up with more recordings.

When I think of "neutral," my first sense is related to spectral balance. But this is knowing balanced complex detail and space across the spectrum are critical to a complete sense of spectral balance... So to me spectral balance requires enough "transparency" and "resolution" to create a sense of natural tones like real music, from the bottom to the top.

Relatively even across the spectrum...without masking or exaggerating of any part, with transparency a recording can convey natural and complete sounding resolution, facilitating more complete extension and complexity throughout, all big influences on the sense of spectral balance.

So with more discrete information making up the whole of the sound.... like a more resolving proportion of pixels on a photo, I think more complete resolution (in balance) allows more completeness and complexity across the spectrum, including liveliness, and more resolved smoothness.

So neutrality to me is mostly about realistic spectral balance with relatively complete transparency and resolution. And all three balanced, masking less, we can reveal more nuanced information, more fine detail in space, and associated, richer tonal balance with textures, and realer feeling ambience and decays. Also expanding hard edges with complexity, fine detail can help edges become more relaxed and textured, while being more graceful in sonic transitions into harmonics and spacial information. Associated, reducing smearing as a way of increasing fine resolution reveals how fine detail is as much about space as detail. And with more complete space between sounds, we tend to get better pace, better micro dynamics, so more exciting speed and liveliness.

My take anyway, and no doubt subjective. But to me it all goes back to a sense of real music in relatively well balanced rooms as reference. And some folks are better at discerning neutrality within the vast complex of our music than others. But that is a lot of the "audiophile" experience to me, growing better able to discern all that is needed to make music feel more complete and real at home....more engaging, more captivating.

So "neutral" is a handy tool for me... neutral being about "balanced,"and being a reference from which to hear "off-balance," as well as giving a baseline for expanding our perception and discernment of finer and subtler aspects of our musical experience. As I gradually learn more of the subtle qualities that make the music sound realer (and those that don't), I am pretty sure it gives me more information. And with effort, more information can help me learn to better describe what I hear. Ongoing exploration for sure, but hopefully, as our music gets more refined, so do our listening skills, and visa versa.

So I agree, all we can say is clearly based on varying personal perception and expression. But I think these terms can also provide a very good foundation for perception and description. And if we can learn to use them better, we can better help each other in our audio quests.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/28/21 at 22:51:12

I didn’t mean neutral like Switzerland or neutral like the white wire in a common household circuit but like the middle letter in PRNDL, where when that is chosen by the gear selector applying the accelerator neither moves the vehicle forward or backward.
I would generally assume the removal of a tube rectifier would in fact affect the sound amplification but my experience has been that the SS piece imparts no tonal quality of its own.
I hope to put this to a real world test in my living room when the SS unit from Tube Amp Doctor that’s on order from Stewart Macdonald arrives in the mail.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/29/21 at 00:42:38

Intersting. I have been upgrading/modifying my Decware amps over a number of years now, taking a long time in order to clearly hear what each change does, and only accepting those that are notable improvements overall, usually one part position at a time.

In this exploration, not one thing did nothing to the sound....every wire, cap, resistor, connector, and attenuator imparted a sound change for better or worse. Some were so good right off, they stayed, but most took experimenting to find the one that improved most everything, and did no harm. Particularly with caps and resistors, I often tried 3-5 before arriving at my favorite for that position. And most were not subtle, even small resistors clearly having their own, and different sound.

At first it surprised me that the power supply showed upgrades similarly to the signal path. A PS electrolytic bypass cap sounded pretty much like the particular cap would sound as a coupling cap or speaker crossover cap. Resistors were the same, pretty much just as notable in the power path as signal path.

Here, rectifiers all sound different, enough to change the signature of the amp. Presumably this is from variations in parts, materials, design parameters of thickness and gauges etc....but also due to how they power the tubes differently based on their electronic parameters. Here the differences are quite impressive in how they effect the signal path tubes sound. Even rolling several Telefunken made RGN1064, all with the same electronic parameters, the sound changes are quite notable, very definitely enough so to have preferences based on how they effect a given tube set.

This all becomes more noticeable as my amps refine, each change refining transparency and resolution. But my system/room has always been quite resolving once fine-tuned, and I recall very noticeable sound differences with tubes, power cords, ICs, feet, etc pre-modifications.

Over the last few days I have been re-exploring the cathode resistors (cathode to ground) on the input tube of my CSP3, and was re-amazed at how much two resistors (one per channel) changed the sound of the whole presentation. Some I liked, some I disliked, and some were pretty complete improvements.

And since SS rectifier replacements are made with various parts depending on maker, with different damping, pins, diodes, resistors, I would be surprised if they all sounded the same, or had no self sound. So beyond SS rectifiers purportedly increasing B+ voltage, something that always effects the sound here, I suspect that SS replacements sound different from tubes, and from each other.

Another thing that is pretty noticeable here is burnin. I run caps and resistors on a Frybaby2 for a good while before installing. This takes care of the uglier/slower parts of burnin, but still, for resistors it usually takes several days with long music play before they come in fully, and most caps can take 3-10 days with music. Not sure about SS diodes, but guessing burnin effects them too.

So I would think they might sound impressive right off with the B+ voltage hit, and might sound pretty good overall, but suspect it could take a little while before the SS rectifiers fully show, especially their subtler sound characteristics.

I was considering that Tube Amp Doctor model also. I hope you will let us know your impressions!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/29/21 at 01:57:47

Will, that was very enlightening, thanks for sharing!

Brad

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 03/29/21 at 15:48:27

I wouldn’t think a SS rectifier would be anything more than four diodes in a classic bridge configuration and the socket pins; there’s no use for caps or resistors in this particular application as they already exist in the circuit.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/30/21 at 02:06:01

Hey Edward,

I don't doubt you are correct. SS rectifiers could use only diodes for the electronics.

That is not where my explorations took me back when I was considering making some, but that doesn't mean commercial units are using resistors!

Long time ago since I gave this some deeper attention, but I recall folks talking about chilling down the inherent SS voltage increase in various ways, including dropping resistors, a lot as a means to prevent too much voltage from stripping cathodes and increasing wear on caps. And with my aversion to my system becoming too forceful sounding, I was particularly sensitive to much voltage increase anyway, so paid particular attention to this sort of discussion.

Also the one DIY unit I saw the other day on Ebay was for sensitive use, replacing type 83 tubes in tube testers, but it had a resistor for both diode legs. And that had been my plan that never happened, to experiment with drop resistors and diodes. So I may have been projecting that commercial SS tube replacements use resistors.

But I also recall talk about tube's burning up a notable percentage of the power they receive to resistance/heat, and SS not really, implying this, aside from sag, can be a meaningful contributor to the tube versus SS rectifier output equation. I remember some talk about software modeling comparing a 5Y3 and diodes, and the diode results showed much higher voltage increases than 10-20% people seem to expect from SS replacements....can't recall just how much....but more.

So I was going to try using drop resistors, then I got tired of trying to figure it out, and loving tubes anyway, dropped it.

Anyway, based on these vagaries, I guessed the SS units, like from Tube Amp Doctor, might have resistors to help average things down to less extreme voltage increases than straight up diodes. And if that is incorrect, I can't say from experience how much self-sound a diode might have beyond speed variations, but since everything else made with wires and parts in an amp has some sound, I guess they would too. Also, the fill/damping in a SS rectifier replacement, I have not heard two damping materials sound alike yet, and though some are cleaner, none so far are perfectly neutral and transparent to me....but you never know.

Finally though, not having personal experience with making a SS rectifier replacement, I can only guess.

I look forward to your impressions when yours comes.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #21 - 03/30/21 at 03:29:08

Will,
I feel that it bears saying that the response you wrote is not only credible in technical terms, but also in terms of perfect English. I mention this because of the many times that read and read again what some fail to communicate not only in the everyday, but manuals, newspapers and more. Even this, my response here, is not as clear as I would hope, proofreading included.

The subject of 'basic' electronic modifying will always be fascinating to me. What many consider rudimentary, I feel is often overlooked. Someone has to snap to it and say, 'What if?'

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/30/21 at 18:30:33

Hey Brad, You are welcome. I am glad that post was of some use!

4krow, thanks! I always try to convey thoughts and experience with care, but it often amazes me when I read a post the next day (or next hour) and find some part where I can't quite figure out what I was trying to say.... or find some glaring typos I couldn't see before. Related, I remain impressed with how little I agree with Apple computer's modifications of what I thought was saying. At times spell check messes the thought up so much I have no idea what the writer (me) intended! I imagine this has something to do with their efforts to integrate phones and pads with computers....adding typos people tend to make with tapping to those we tend to make typing?

I am with you on "What if." I guess questions are afterthoughts from impressions of the whole of all music does in our space, and for us. Reflecting all the many parts of a system/room "in concert," how the parts influence one another can lead me lots of ways! Always discovering subtly new balances of the many things that make a system/room more alive, seeking deeper beauty is not really a choice. And sometimes adjustments are predictable based on overall need and the characteristics of a cable or tube, but I often have better than expected results revisiting some area I have not thought about looking at for a long time. I may have a need based on some observation, but "the best" solution for what I am trying to uncover may be different than I suspected. So the door stays open!

I guess I think of the things I read on forums (that make sense to me) similarly to good seeming technical information.... often a good pointer, but even after careful reading between the lines, not necessarily a complete answer within my particular complex system. Whether exploring synergy with a resistor, a DAC filter, or a new component, nothing independent, I find enhancing the whole tricky, especially after things are highly tuned from years of progressive explorations. So experimenting continues.

This is part of why I need to keep changes relatively neutral and transparent, but also awakened with the complexities of natural musicality... I find that adjusting the system for notable shifts in clarity, or warming (or whatever), can sound really good at the time, but may be off-setting the balance in ways that can get in the way later. Seemingly endlessly unfolding, it is all a fun and captivating quest for me!

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/02/21 at 14:00:02

Anyone know what the B+ output of the transformer is on a Rachel? I should have that Tube Doctor SS rectifier in hand tomorrow and it would be an informative exercise to calculate the various outputs of my four regulator choices to see which voltage produces what I subjectively believe to be the best music reproduction. I like to think of it as tuning the system to achieve the most pleasing sound to my (admittedly battered) ears.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/02/21 at 17:05:55

Are you comfortable measuring voltages?
It would be interesting to see the differences.
What does your AC line voltage run?
Mine is always 124v, so I have to be careful with vintage amplifiers.
One concern with replacing a tube with a ss rectifier is the increase in voltage and the voltage rating of the parts like caps.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/02/21 at 17:40:02

Yes, this would be a cool test! I don't know the Rachel's specced output for the transformer. The tubes Steve recommends are all 5 volt, but I don't know if he is compensating in any way.

I wonder though....wouldn't the rectifier output be more indicative of the effects on signal tubes, caps, etc. And regardless of house voltage in, if it is relatively stable, and you are good with testing live voltage, couldn't you start by measuring what a 5U4G puts out to B+...then the other tubes, and then the replacement SS rectifier?

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 04/04/21 at 01:13:00

I spent more than a few hours making changes and did not achieve a satisfying end. First, I was totally wrong about SS rectifiers being neutral just because they aren’t in the signal path; the voltage drop really affects the tubes performance. Beyond that I’m still in speaker hell and until I get that sorted I won’t have a decent opinion to offer.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/04/21 at 01:48:49

Sounds like a rough day. I hope you get it sorted out soon, and looking forward to what you find out.

Good Luck,

Will

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 04/05/21 at 12:55:10

[couldn't you start by measuring what a 5U4G puts out to B+...then the other tubes, and then the replacement SS rectifier?]
I found this info replicated in charts and scans from old ham radio manuals which makes me think it’s pretty accurate. The tubes listed on the spec sheet are both 450v but have two different voltage drops, 17v and 44v, and my best guess at this point is that the higher drop gives a rounder sound output. The speakers I built from GR Research sound really good but aren’t nearly efficient enough to give that soundstage enveloping volume that really lets you pick out the finer details in both the mix and the depth of the soundstage. So, bummer for me. The Klipsch RP160M is efficient but the vocals honk like an angry goose and I can’t tolerate that nor does it teach me anything about the tubes. My quest continues for a proper match to Rachel.

4AAA3215-34D0-4B6B-AC91-8E02D0DD73FC.png
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 04/05/21 at 19:39:48

It does seem voltage drop has its effects, especially in guitar amps, but since some of these charted high drop tubes are some of the most clear tubes overall in these amps, the sound a rectifier causes, at least in terms of more drop relating to rounder, it seems there is more to it.

For example, a 5R4GY on the chart has a 67 volt drop, but it is one of the least round sounding rectifiers to me. Though variable within the type, they generally sound clear, defined, and open. Part of this is micro speed, but these tubes feel relatively fast and articulate in my amps. Whereas, a 5U4G type has a drop of 44, and generally is a bigger sounding tube with a good balance and revelation (overall in the type), but not as open and differentiated feeling as a 5R4GY, generally warmer, fuller, and a little rounder. A 5AR4/GZ34 with its low 17 volt drop, also tends toward speed, clarity and articulation, but with deeper dynamic power to its sound, so generally fast, but bigger/fuller than milder 5R4GYs and feeling more dynamic than 5U4Gs. So in this comparison, the higher drop tubes are not necessarily rounder, the highest drop one being the clearest in general when comparing, not specs, but the sound of these three tube types.

Also, I have yet to hear two 5U4Gs that sound alike, or two 5R4GY, or two GZ34s, some of each clearer and some of each rounder, yet having supposedly the same electronic values within each type. So the qualities that create sound don't appear to me to be at all simple.....  the combination and quality of parts used and design and shape having sonic effects people hear when comparing sound... also, very likely the combination of all the electronic factors that this chart shows..... and likely even more that our very limited tech analysis has yet to uncover.

So I get the interest in trying to figure out electronically/measurement-wise what causes what, finding this concept interesting also. But I am pretty sure just voltage drop is not going to get you to a place of identifying tubes you might like in your Rachel.

Good luck in the exploration!

Will

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 04/06/21 at 17:38:09

Thanks Will, I’m well on the way to getting the speaker end sorted as I’ve purchased a set of Monoliths from a forum member in Florida. I was really disappointed in the Encore pair because they sounded nice (and I had a fair amount of time and labor into the build) but their efficiency was in the basement and that just doesn’t give a great result with a Rachel.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 04/06/21 at 17:53:30

Nice. I agree. Not enough power/headroom really can be brutal! I find it really hard to hear what is possible with these amps if I can't get decent volume and driver push. Here's hoping the Monoliths are really good for your room!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print