Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 00:02:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you know when you need a new Stylus? (Read 2238 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

How do you know when you need a new Stylus?
03/08/21 at 02:29:38

I was listening to Janis Ian's Between the Lines today and I noticed the Ss were quite hissy (sibilant).  I at first wrote it off to the recording but then I decided to try my new Jubilee cart.  I'd been running my old one thinking it was still fantastic.  WRONG!  Now the sibilance is gone and everything is in tighter focus.  I guess I'll be sending the old cart in for a rebuild.  Money well spent but still very expensive.

Lesson learned, don't assume your old cart is still up to stuff without comparing it to a baseline.  Bad sound will creep up on you.    Tongue

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: How do you know when you need a new Stylus?
Reply #1 - 03/11/21 at 15:46:38

Archie,
I recently bought a used TT mounted with an AKG cartridge. I won't go into everything that I encountered, but suffice it to say that it pays to check all aspects of what you have bought or assumed. After correcting the counterbalance weight (maybe my error, since the unit shipped with TWO counterweights), I found that tracking much improved. On a hunch I decided to buy a replacement stylus from LP gear, who offered a bit of an upgrade from the original. Yes, the sound ALL came back. Although this is great, I have to wonder just how much damage, if any, the original stylus has made? Or perhaps it was just the cartridge suspension for the original that had aged to the point where it simply wasn't in spec anymore.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/11/21 at 17:33:09

It's hard enough when you know the entire history of a cartridge.  

Knowing what to listen for is important.  I wouldn't have caught mine except that Ortofon once told be that sibilance happens as my cart wears.  I'm sure there are other things too but they may be more insidious and hard for us average guys to catch.   Undecided

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 03/25/21 at 03:45:29

Right Arch,

Since this is new to me, not as a whole, but the new TT/cart/phono amp, and more, I tread very carefully when the thought of dropping the needle on an expensive album that I just bought. Now that I have the hang of cleaning much better than I ever did before, that gives me a sigh of relief. I still have a little ways to go, but now am not so apprehensive as in the beginning. Like buying an older classic car.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/25/21 at 06:47:36

I've been reading posts by people who seem obsessive to me.  There is a good enough for peace of mind I think.  If playing music gets to be too much trouble, I know I've gone too far!   Cool

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print