Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 17:28:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question on corner absorption (Read 2050 times)
piezoman
Ex Member

question on corner absorption
03/03/21 at 19:20:14

in a small room [12x10], should i build:

1. four 24x48x2 absorbers and mount them up 45* on the adjacent walls.      

or

2. four 24x96x2 absorbers [two 24x48x2 703 fiberglass boards stacked with twice the frame size length as number 1.], so they reach from floor to ceiling, and let them rest at each corner of the room?

bass is fairly weak from single driver speakers by themselves, and evenly augmented by 1 refined relatively low-powered subwoofer 150w RMS/400w peak that synergizes phenomenally.

thanks, Brad

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: question on corner absorption
Reply #1 - 03/04/21 at 14:49:13

If possible I would go from floor to ceiling. I would build 2x4 and stack them.

Corners are the most efficient place for bass absorption. 2" will absorb little lower freq energy. You really need a LOT of a fiber glass to slow down and absorb bass energy. I have 14" of 703 in the corner. I would have them stacked if the wall didn't slant in. Depending on placement I would say a box of 6 2x4' x2" in the corner is good for .5-1db of absorption 60hz and below, that might be really optimistic too.

You've mentioned how your bass output is "modest" I bet you will be surprised how much boost and suckout are in your room. I highly recommend getting a calibrated mic and measuring the room. It will also help you really get your sub integrated into the system/room.

I use this mic https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1 $75
and REW https://www.roomeqwizard.com/ Free / Donation.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Re: question on corner absorption
Reply #2 - 03/04/21 at 15:05:52

Thanks Groove.

I have zero idea how I would interpret the results, and how to place absortion/diffusion based on those results.....Nonethess I am ordering the microphone and have downloaded the REW software app. I'll figure it out. THANK YOU

btw, the way you folded that acoustic fabric looks really nice!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print