Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:22:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hospital Grade Outlets - what's the difference? (Read 12637 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Hospital Grade Outlets - what's the difference?
02/28/21 at 22:57:04

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Hospital Grade Outlets - what's the difference?
Reply #1 - 03/01/21 at 16:20:58

If you don't have one of these installed in your wall for the stereo, you're not doing yourself any favors.

WWW   IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #2 - 03/01/21 at 16:41:26

Mr Wizard,I had these installed 30 years ago,recommended by Francis of t home of audiophile,aka mr first watt,,do they make a difference?..who knows,makes sense!Then again 45 years ago I remember crushing underfoot telefunkens,remembering those diamonds on the way  to grade school from the many factories in my neighborhood,if I only knew.#46 is crazy!!,,the info coming out of this amp I need 2 brains,spectacular.

#48..not #46...these tiny radials set up like a pair of headphones,6 feet on each side are the best imaging speakers I ever heard..once midnight hits I set these up and they immerse me in music.  

IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #3 - 03/01/21 at 16:43:58

Ohh just remembered throwing thousands over fences across train tracks 400 feet away,not to mention the sound they made against brick walls.I coulda been rich.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/01/21 at 17:00:09

aye, great post LR.

one of the first "accessorials" purchased when i got into real stereo 2 years ago was the Oyaide R-1.

IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #5 - 03/01/21 at 17:01:50

Ohhh these look cheap in the video,I getting out my screwdriver,the ones I have from what I remember are heavy duty...if I survive I’ll post a photo.

IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #6 - 03/01/21 at 17:09:21

Oyaide are 170 each?..i remember
paying just under 20 each and thinking,well he set up my WTT so why not.never ran at the right wow and fluttered,got me a linn.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/01/21 at 17:14:51

the R-1 i purchased was used on ebay. i'd have to check out my records, but i believe it was about $60.

and yes, $60 is already ridiculous. i don't need another one, and i would never pay $170 for one in the first place, that's for sure.

in audio, i try to maximize the employment of buying as much equipment used as i possibly can.

IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #8 - 03/01/21 at 17:22:02

Then again they don’t wear out so...tubes are much crazier.
Hmm all them years back..that was even more loony.

IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #9 - 03/01/21 at 17:55:27

Hubbel?

P1060.jpg
  IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #10 - 03/01/21 at 17:57:18

Oops that's my GE Nipple....the soundstage is over there and there and behind and....

IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #11 - 03/01/21 at 17:58:51

Now

Screen_Shot_2021-03-01_at_12_38_12_PM_copy.jpg
  IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #12 - 03/01/21 at 18:15:31

Should i take her apart?i will,l i ain't scared..from what i remember it's supper thick copper inside.Nuclear don't faze me,so i will.

IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #13 - 03/01/21 at 18:23:44

Different animal...more copper than a pair of 2 meter kimbers.I'll pass,different time.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 03/01/21 at 19:12:07

HG....shes tight and stays that way. 20 ampers are more robust.
Main line run rounds her out.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 03/01/21 at 19:49:46

sounds like an old penthouse story, LOL

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/01/21 at 20:06:47

btw, good post eric! [lonely raven]

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/02/21 at 09:44:35

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/02/21 at 16:22:55

JBzen, now that's a reasonable investment. Good catch!

IP Logged
thethanimal

Reply #19 - 04/04/21 at 02:42:37

I’ve had this in the back of my mind since I first read the manual for my SE84UFO and finally got around to replacing the outlet powering my A/V setup, and both outlets in our office, with Leviton 20A hospital grade outlets. Now, A/B comparisons are pretty hard to do with outlets, but I would swear my sound quality went backward, with harsher treble, more grain, and general haze over the presentation. Certainly an outlet doesn’t need to break in? Has anyone else experienced this?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #20 - 04/04/21 at 02:55:26

The hospitals around here get mad at me when I steal their outlets.

They get bent all out of shape if you just walk into the place with a screwdriver and a pair of insulated wire cutters.

I had to fake a heart attack the last time I needed a new outlet.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/04/21 at 03:14:38

I'm skeptical.  Could there be a coincidental reason for the change?  Suddenly you have dirty power?  Maybe test by using an extension cord that reaches both this outlet and some other, conventional outlet nearby?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #22 - 04/04/21 at 05:27:20

I am pretty picky when it comes to the 'simple' installation of an AC outlet. The two things that I would point out would be concerning the connection to start with. Make sure that the copper is clean as it should be, and leave enough extra wire so that when you wrap it around the connection post, you have some to cut off after. Once forming the circle with the wire, I will slightly form it with plain jaw (no serrations) pliers to flatten the wire just a little bit, making extra contact with the screw/cinch. Also, it is worth your time to add no-ox or other protectant to the copper before you connect the wire and tighten. Lastly, tighten the screw a second time. Don't go overboard, but don't be surprised that the copper has given just a little under the pressure of the first tightening. Yah, it always takes me longer to even change a freaking light bulb.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/04/21 at 12:17:23

4krow gives sound advice on doing an excellent outlet replacement. I might add when tightening the screws do it in a ratcheting fashion - screw tight then do a series of very short nudges by applying torsional pressure with your wrist. The copper will compress further with each nudge and there will be less chance of breaking/stripping the screw when appling too much torque at one time. This will also help eliminate the error that is common of finding loose connections on old assemblies.

One more tip is be careful when stripping solid copper wire by avoiding nicks in the side walls of the copper with the sharp edge of the cutting tool. A nick can cause the soft copper wire to sever when working the wires into the box.

John

IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #24 - 04/04/21 at 12:23:29

There are also MRI rated outlets, no ferrous materials used in their construction. ( P & S  Legrand makes these )

Use these and install with a nylon washer and screw on one side of the yoke. ( if your wall box is metallic )

That eliminates currents flowing through the yoke.

If you use a plastic box, skip the nylon hardware.

If you use an aluminum box ( non-ferrous ) do the nylon hardware on one side of the strap.

A all non-ferrous material install will help prevent stray current flows.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/04/21 at 17:53:28

Thank god my electrician doesn't follow the wiring advice given here!  lol

It'd take him a week to do one room.  Loose connections and nicked/broken wires are very rare in my world.  It really isn't brain surgery.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #26 - 04/06/21 at 04:24:10

You can learn a lot about how well the outlets in your home were installed by using a new grounded extension cord and an ohm meter to measure the resistance between the ground lugs of each outlet (cord resistance subtracted out of course).  Since most rooms are a daisy chain, there is often a potential for a large resistance between the first and last outlet of the chain due to the integrity of the connections on each receptacles ground lug.  If there are for example four outlets on a wall and there is a different resistance between each outlets ground, and there often is, you can have ground loops that cause hum in certain combinations of equipment.  But you can also assume the hot and the neutral wires have no better connections and voltage drops will occur relative to load, temperature and even if your equipment is regulated, or tube gear that really doesn't care,. it would be foolish to think it doesn't matter.  Never would saggy voltages with noise that is regulated and filtered out sound better than healthy solid current that is regulated and filtered. It only looks the same on paper.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
thethanimal

Reply #27 - 04/17/21 at 04:04:58

Curiosity and harsh treble got the best of me so I pulled the outlet out. The ground wire was snug. The neutral wires seemed snug but I pulled them out and clipped of the ends since they were previously shoved in the quick-connects of the cheap builder grade outlet and had some nicks. When inserting the wires into the slots for back wiring (instead of wrapping around the post and not the shove-in quick connect) I found that the connection seemed more snug in the slot closest to the center of the outlet. I had previously wired it with one neutral in the more central slot and one in the outer slot. Both hot wires were in the outer slots, so I clipped those nicked ends and re-wired in the center slots.

I’m not kidding: it made a difference.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #28 - 04/18/21 at 05:12:06

That is why we solder virtually everything we make instead of using any type of push on connectors inside the components.

WWW   IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 04/18/21 at 15:27:59

We had outlets routinely fail at our older house because the original installer used the slots instead of wrapping around the screw terminal. One by one I’ve replaced them with industrial outlets and proper screw attachment. It really makes a difference.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print