Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 14:59:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zu Dirty Weekend alternatives? (Read 7327 times)
canonken
Seasoned Member

Zu Dirty Weekend alternatives?
02/27/21 at 22:38:09

My main speakers are a pair of full-size Sonus Fabers I've had for over 10 years and love to death.  I have no plans to change them.  As the brand is known for, sound leans to relaxed and warm (but not dull or muddy) - I like this.

I also have a pair of the small Madisound 4" Fostex full-range driver speakers I built over the summer.  They are really cool, and in the right situation a blast.  However, the lack of bass (I knew it going in) is the downside and not looking to play with subs/make them work.  I will try them with the UFO2 before passing judgement.

The Zu Dirty Weekend speakers look interesting because for $1300/pair (that is with shipping, upgraded wood, and the first cap upgrade), seems like a lot for the money AND something totally different (full-range driver with an interesting story...crossover is limited to a cap on the tweeter, the 10" driver runs untouched).  While I would try it with my bigger amps, I have a UFO2 on the way and am building the ACA and those could be a ton of fun on those.

The Lore Reference or similar from Tekton is also interesting.

If you can tell, I am not looking for something conventional.  Looking for something highly-sensitive and interesting.

I need a more traditional tower speaker (nothing that sits on the floor like the little Caintucks) based on how the room is setup.

Curious what else I should look at, what would be a good fit with the UFO2, ACA, or anything else.

IP Logged
MyBlueSky
Verified Member

An honest tune with
a lingering lead

Re: Zu Dirty Weekend alternatives?
Reply #1 - 02/28/21 at 03:30:33

I can’t recommend the DW’s with the clarity caps enough. I have them in my home office driving them with the amp camp amp and an old B&K preamp. The ACA needs a preamp that can swing some voltage to wake it up. I’ve also subbed in a linear power supply for the ACA. Dramatically improved the performance compared to the 25v switcher that came with the kit. Sources are an old Onkyo CD player and a Mac mini running Qobuz and Audirvana into a Modi multibit to a Z box to the preamp. The system is smooth sounding with a surprising amount of dynamics and low end. Mids are detailed and warm for solid state and The high frequencies have a decent sense of delicacy and air but aren’t the most detailed. The soundstage is cohesive but compared to my CSP, Zrock, Torii? Well it’s an unfair comparison. I’ve switched the CSP3 and Z Rock 25 in for $h#)’s and giggles once and awhile and I’ll say this... If I had to live with only that for the rest of my days l’d be satisfied! The CSP puts out serious voltage and the Z Rock is just magic.
The DW’s also sound incredible with my Torri but they can get a bit shouty at high spl. I’m sure there are other incredible matchups you can find but that ACA with the DW’s is magical for me. Good luck on your search and enjoy the journey!  Keep me posted.

Torii mk lV, CSP3, Z Rock 2, Z Box, Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp, RME ADI 2, Denafrips Venus II, Music Hall mmf 7.3, AVA Vision Q phonostage, Sumiko Bluepoint Evo, Panasonic DP-UP 9000, 947 Monoliths, Zu Omen DW mk2, Omega Super 3 HO monitors, Zen silver RCA
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/28/21 at 03:51:40

Thanks!

I could see using the ACA in either system.  Main system with (what will soon be) a McIntosh C49 or C53, and in my computer system where I am planning a Schitt Asgard (with the Multibit).  I'll assume those would work fine.

The main point of these additional speakers will be something high-sensitivity to match with the tubes.  I also might snag one of the Bottlehead amp kits for fun (I am finishing up a Reduction now) which would also love a pair of something sensitive.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/28/21 at 14:15:52

I have  owned a pair, they, for me, were an incredible speaker for the $$. Hard to go wrong with these at that price point.
Best of luck to you,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/28/21 at 14:47:12

I see you own the DNA2 - how would you compare those to the Zu's?  Any experience with the smaller 5" Markaudio DNA?

As an aside, the Madisound 4" kit I have is PERFECT for watching YouTube videos (with lots of dialogue), they are so amazingly articulate and clear, insane.  You obviously don't need bass for YouTube, and most videos there are generally bright, and this driver rolls off that sizzle.

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/28/21 at 18:48:51

That would be a tough comparison, at 3+ times the price it’s 10 times the speaker, for me, in my system and my treated room. Not to take anything away from them, just a completely different experience. I don’t think they can do justice to a DecWare system, but they certainly sound decent in one!
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 02/28/21 at 18:57:51

I have Omega Super AlNiCo monitors and they are fantastic powered by a pair of UFOs. I can't say how they compare to the other speakers mentioned in the thread, but a lot of people really like UFOs matched to Omega speakers.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/28/21 at 20:46:25

the decware zen ufo amp is a storied combination with the omega single driver speaker. i can attest to that, as CAJames also attests to.

at 3.2w for the taboo mk iv, very similar in power to the se8ufo series, is phenomenal with the jr. xrs alnico towers.....transparency/accuracy is screaming off the charts if that's what you like.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 03/01/21 at 01:50:50

Quote:
Posted by: piezoman      Posted on: Yesterday at 20:46:25

...at 3.2w for the taboo mk iv, very similar in power to the se8ufo series, is phenomenal with the jr. xrs alnico towers.....transparency/accuracy is screaming off the charts if that's what you like.

And if you get 2 UFOs those speakers + 5W will be transparent, accurate and kick your a$$... if that's what you like.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/01/21 at 02:28:02

You bet your sweet pip!  [smiley=beer.gif]

IP Logged
birchstick
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 03/11/21 at 19:19:44

It looks like you are all recommending the UFO2 as mono blocks or the Torii.

Any opinions on using a single UFO2, or the Zen Triode Integrated with the Dirty Weekends?

I just received some Dirty Weekends, and am adjusting to them.  I got the Jupiter caps and am powering them with a Vincent Pho-701 -> Peachtree Nova 150.  They've been a little fatiguing, so I'd love to try a Decware amp.

I hope this isn't a threadjack, canonken!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #11 - 03/11/21 at 20:19:25

I think the Dirty Weekends would be fine with a single UFO. For me personally, I love having a UFO for each channel, for a lot of reasons, but the overwhelming majority of posters are very happy with a single UFO and speakers like the Dirty Weekend.

If you haven't seen it yet here is a Stereophile review of the Zen amps with another Zu speaker:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-46-decware-zen-triode-ampl...

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/11/21 at 23:01:42

No problem, great and relevant questions!

Honestly, I don't see your Peachtree as a good match for the Zu - not that the Peachtree is bad, it is just a brute of an amp and not what I would consider as having that finesse at <1 watt.  Basically like trying to use a Bugatti on a small autocross course - just not a good match.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/12/21 at 02:05:57

I owned some Dirty Weekend speakers and my SE84UFO powered them to levels louder than I would want to listen at. This is in an 18' X 12' room with a ceiling that goes up to 22'.  I suspect they might not really be 97 db efficient, probably closer to 94-95 db. Unless you want rock concert levels, a single Zen amp should be plenty for a healthy dynamic range.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
birchstick
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 03/12/21 at 04:03:17

Definitely agree on the pairing analogy with the Peachtree, @canonken.  I thought it might be too much when I ordered to the DW's, but figured I'd give it a shot.  Now I'm looking to move into the tube realm, and Decware's been ticking a lot of boxes.  

Good to know the SE84UFO2 can sufficiently drive them.  I'm torn between that or the Zen Triode SE34I.5.  Thanks for the article, @CAJames!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print