Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 02:38:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The covid year in tweaks/music (Read 12633 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

The covid year in tweaks/music
02/27/21 at 17:40:37

Well, I suppose my year was not unlike many peoples’.  I worked from home the entire year.  But I was able to do most of my work in my listening room, listening to my system when I wasn’t on a call or web conference.

My system remains a mac mini running Audirvana/Tidal, Mytek Brooklyn Dac+, zbit, 25th Anniversary Zen and open baffle speakers made up of the Lii Audio Crystal 10s and the Acoustic Elegance LO15s.  I also run a super tweeter at times.

I did do some tweaks over the course of the year and found some new music.  I’d be interested to hear what other did.

I decided to forget about my old speaker and chair placement and follow some online advice.  I experimented with the “proper” distance of the speakers from walls, toe in, chair placement in the room, etc.  If I had any silver bullets, I’d link in a article or video, but after all the experiments, I ended up in exactly the same position as I had before for both speakers and chair.  Moral of the story is trust your ears.

Given how much I listened, I changed out power tubes but my UFO25 tube compliment remains relatively unchanged.   I tried other tubes but again gravitated back to where I started.  For input I use the 1975 Reflektor 6N23P Silver Shield.  Power tubes are the  6P15P-EV I got from Steve.  Sophia Aqua rectifier.  Sylvania OA3s in the back and I forget what funky regulator I have in front by Lon turned me on to it.

My Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ was relatively new when this all hit.  Progrob did stop by at one point in the year and blew me away with his Denafrips Terminator DAC.  https://www.denafrips.com/terminator

As a result, I played around with settings in Audirvana and ended up outputting DSD128 to the dac because I thought it got me closer to the sound I heard with the Denafrips.

With my DAC having a separate RCA output, I started running that into the Crown amp which powers my Acoustic Elegance LO15 woofers in my OBs.  I found that better than running the “magic cable” off the speaker taps on the 25th.   Seemed to dig deeper, but I’ve since measured it and it looks the same on REW, so I don’t know what it did.

Anyway, I kept missing the low low bass in some electronic music so I tossed a 15” sub I made back into the system.  I got a couple of splitters and run the same DAC RCA output to both the crown and a plate amp.  There are some swings in the low end signal below 50Hz but I now get 20Hz out of the sub and REW shows it actually going a little lower.

I was tempted to buy the new Lii Audio Silver 10s but decided to stick it out with the Crystals.  I really get good sound out of these C10s so I am hanging on to them.  Progrob has my F15 based OBs on loan still.  It will be interesting to listen to those again at some point.

I did find a QRD diffuser build that was relatively inexpensive.   I posted about it in the room treatments forum.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Wv9eB6wrg  

Two QRD13s for around 90 bucks is pretty reasonable.

One other DIY build that I did that produced some really nice results were these speaker wires:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfjQJxeTANE

I didn’t want to spend much on it since it was an experiment, so I bought what I think is the same wire and rope on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12TC-PTFE-OCC-Speaker-Cable-HIFI-Audio-Wire-Power-Cord-...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-16-in-x-100-ft-Solid-Braid-Poly-Rope/174538087557?ssP...

They needed some time to break in but these offer and very smooth, detailed and sophisticated sound.  A definite lift in quality for around $100.

I found a good amount of new music by just running Shazam in auto mode while I watched audio review videos on Youtube while working out.   I mostly put it into existing Audivana playlists but here are two I haven’t shared yet (I think).  Mostly, these are background music playlists while I work.  One is fairly chill while the other has more electronic with a repeating beat.  I don’t know why, but I found that to help when I was working.

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/df228179-7fe9-48b2-b7ed-b832aeaf236d

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/4aed1475-f128-44fc-91b7-858a59e75d06

The next decision date on whether we go back into the office is July 1.  While there are some downsides, I sure don't miss commuting to downtown Chicago every day and I don't care if I never get on another jet again.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Re: The covid year in tweaks/music
Reply #1 - 02/27/21 at 19:28:11

Smiley

Pal, do you think the "AQD1" styrofoam diffusers from https://piaudiogroup.com/  are tantamount to the diy QRD wooden ones?

- Brad

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/27/21 at 19:47:16

How well I hear you on downtown Chicago.  Prior to Covid I had to travel throgh that mess at least once a week.  Love the city but the traffic is horrible.

Got laid off lest July with no hope of ever returning.  As bad as that sounds it has it's advantages.  The number one priority has been refining the audio in the house.

After visiting the Mother Ship and listening to the Cambridge Audio CXN in Steve's listening room it was time for one more DAC.  I am new to streaming.  Where have I been?  To think of all the CD's on my shelf that I never listen to this is a true money saver.

Then after all the praise on these forums I invested in a gently used ZROCK-2 25th.  This system sounded very good prior to the ZROCK but now it is even more everything.

Have spent many hours working with room treatments.  The bass traps have negated any need for a sub-woofer.  The RL3's are capable of deep bass if the room is set up right.  My spectrum analyzer shows a beautiful curve down to at least 30hz.  The lower bass is right at the speakers and not at all in another room.  That was an issue that I have fought for years.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 02/27/21 at 19:58:34

Let's all agree that this last year has been a Mutha F'er.

Hopefully we have all made our way through the worst of it now.
But for whatever reason, I think that there is more to come. Damn!

Palo, I know that all of the hard work you put into your system is worth it. It has been a couple of years since I heard it last and I know that it is probably even better now.

Maybe I should get serious and start building some diffusers and such.
My long range plans are to build myself a shop/ listening room someplace out back of the house.
The only thing that keeps me from starting is the thought of my power bill going up to $500 a month and my property taxes getting even more stupid. Why in the hell do I stay in Illinois?

Oh well, onward and upward!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 02/27/21 at 20:26:14

Well, my "covid project" was updating/upgrading my system that had been mostly unchanged for 15+ years.

Out went my AR preamp, Coph Nia phono stage, Pass Labs power amps and Totem speakers.

In came a Woo Audio pre/headphone amp, Mapletree Audio phono stage and a Luxman SUT, Omega Super AlNiCo montiors and a pair of UFO amps (with stepped attenuators, the copper signal cap and the power supply bypass caps) configured as balanced monoblocks. I kept my Yamaha CD-S2100 that I use as a DAC and the Audiolab 6000CDT transport.

I was happy with my old system, but it was literally wearing out. And I was always interested getting a SET amp but my Scottish Heritage couldn't handle the idea of paying hundreds of dollars a shot for "consumable" 300B or 2A3 tubes. Then I found Decware (actually searching for a tube rectified  phono stage) and long story short fell in love with the idea of the UFO amps and Omega speakers.

Fast forward 5 months and a day from when I placed my order and the UFOs arrived. I was hoping the new system would equal what I had before, for less money then I spent back in the day. I was prepared for it to sound good, but I wasn't prepared for it to blow away my previous system. And now that it is broken in and I've optimized the tubes I just can't get over how good it sounds. I've wandered rather far off the reservation with UFOs and am using Tesla pinch waist 6CC42 input tubes, Siemens EL83 power tubes and old National Union 5Z3 rectifiers.

I'm semi-retired and do computer and network stuff part time at UC Santa Barbara. For better or worse part of my part time gig includes helping run the campus remote instruction server, so when the lockdown hit my part time job became round-the-clock for a while. And music was my great escape from all the stress of trying to make remote instruction work on a system that was never intended to support what it was being asked to do.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/27/21 at 21:44:57

Piezo,

The Styrofoam ones absorb more sound but hey are a legitimate room trenatment.  I've heard 4 of them have an impact on a room.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/27/21 at 21:55:20

Donnie,

My dream project is to do a he-shed similar to what Randy has done and build it from the ground up as a listening space.  If you don't need furniture grade looking treatments, it can be done relatively inexpensively.

I have 2 additional lots next to the cottage in Michigan so I have lots of room to do it.  I have to look into how the taxes would increase.

BTW, if you think your taxes are nuts, come to Chicagoland.  Unbelievable.

Also, I meant to mention that it seems I haven't yet mined the full depths of the 25th Anniversay Zen.  I have no doubt that better input and ICs, etc would reveal more.

If you get bored Donnie and we get far enough along with the whole covid situation, you should come up again.  I'd love to hear what your DAC sounds like and I think you'd be impressed with how good my room sounds.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 02/27/21 at 22:14:10

Palomino wrote on 02/27/21 at 21:44:57:
Piezo,

The Styrofoam ones absorb more sound but hey are a legitimate room trenatment.  I've heard 4 of them have an impact on a room.

I'm wondering what would happen if you sealed up the styrofoam?

It can be done.

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/27/21 at 22:21:22

I'm in the same general boat.  Working from home, got some new stuff, ordered some new stuff (UFO2...few weeks away!), listening to music all day unless on calls.

Cleaning house with some stuff I have been sitting on and doing an all-new computer system.  Also looking to trade my big integrated for a proper pre-amp, and when it's all said and done I will have 3-4 amps (big and little tube, big and little SS) and be able to mix those.  Not touching my main speakers, but thinking of a second pair to mix things up.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/27/21 at 22:24:47

Quote:
I'm wondering what would happen if you sealed up the styrofoam?

I think you are onto something Donnie. I recall reading that painting styrofoam diffusors makes them more reflective and better at diffusion. Makes sense to me.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/27/21 at 22:39:40

With major home renovations under way in 2020-21 my budget is pretty limited. Did upgrade my phono preamp and I'm auditioning a set of Hapa Audio Quiescence Silver interconnects. The cables are sounding really good.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/28/21 at 01:38:14

All of mine are painted.  I still feel like they absorb some mid to low frequencies.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 02/28/21 at 03:32:38

I'm pretty sure that there is a way to seal it up. It sounds like I need to do some research.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/28/21 at 03:52:51

Acrylic laquer or Gesso?

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/28/21 at 15:17:37

Donnie, did you come up with anything?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 02/28/21 at 15:32:42

This gives a description
https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Styrofoam

I also saw stuff about using clear poly and building it up in layers.

The hard thing is finding something that doesn't melt the styrofoam.

Maybe bondo would work if you didn't mix it too hot.

Epoxy might also work.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 02/28/21 at 15:41:25

I think what I'm going to do is paint a couple layers using acrylic laquer, then paint them.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 02/28/21 at 15:44:45

Maybe my brain is too simplistic, but I did a base layer of primer and a couple top coats of paint.  Maybe some lacquer would be less porous but worth the trouble??

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 02/28/21 at 15:48:32

All,

I just sent an email in to Greg Rael at PI Audio Group, I'll post his reply when I get it.

- Brad

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/28/21 at 18:46:16

Is there a low temperature plastic shrink wrap that would work? Modern model airplanes are all covered in shrink wrap in whatever color you like. Saran wrap might work, too?  Just thinking..........

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/01/21 at 20:00:41

All,

So far I got a partial reply from PI Audio:

Morning Brad,
What a wonderful system. Perfect for your room. I want to discuss your room with Dave but between diffusers your absorption panels which we can help you with, and your ingenious bass traps you will have an even better sounding room.

You will find the diffusers very rigid, but you are right. A flat paint will have more absorption than a semi-gloss or a high gloss paint. That is why we use eggshell. Its kind of in the middle.

Greg

---------------------

So for the paint, he recommends an eggshell finish.

In had also asked him about applying something like acrylic laquer first, before painting, and have followed up on that.....waiting on his reply.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #21 - 03/02/21 at 05:41:17

I just had a conversation with Dave from Pi Audio today about his Digi Buss that I’m interested in buying.  Great guy and very knowledgeable.  He indicated that the new Digi Buss has been recently upgraded. Here is a link to AudiomNervosa that talks more about it.  

https://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=8082.0

I love the idea that you can configure the outlets however you want based on your needs. He also recommended that for power cables that Triode Wire Labs pairs well with his device.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/02/21 at 17:34:43

If anyone wanted to try the input tube which has been my go to, here is a pair available in Australia for a decent price.  Back before the price went bonkers, I think I paid $30 a tube.  I've seen them as high as $120.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=10&_stpos=60532&_nkw=%22%226n23p%22%22+%22%...

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 03/04/21 at 00:47:03

I’ve been listening to my “bass” playlist.  20hz is not necessary but fun to have.  My OBs reach down to around 33hz so I have the crossover on the sub amp as low as it will go.  I don’t know what the slope is but I have it set at 40hz and it fills in down to 20hz or so nicely.

Badwolf turned me on to a great bass test song:  

https://tidal.com/track/16026742

Listen at around 5:15 or so. Makes the walls wobble.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 03/04/21 at 14:37:25

Got a reply from Greg Rael at PI Audio re: hardening the paint finish when painting styrofoam diffusers: THEY USE ELMER'S GLUE. MIX WITH PAINT WITH AN EGGSHELL FINISH. NOT MUCH IS NEEDED.

6 to 8 coats is needed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print