Send Topic Print
Counterweights (Read 2702 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Counterweights
02/27/21 at 15:03:21

I am wondering why Pro-ject uses different sized counterweights for different weight cartridges. My 9C arm has a selection of 10 different weights (all optional). Only a couple days ago, I found that the weight on the arm was NOT recommended for the cartridge that I am using. Would this be part of the cause for mistracking?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Counterweights
Reply #1 - 02/27/21 at 15:52:22

Most definitely. If the counter weight is too heavy for the cartridge it will mistrack(if it tracks at all) with any slight flaw(bumps) on the record. Most cartridges like a tracking force between 1 and 2 grams. Too light counter weight will lead vinyl to early ruin.
That in not a very good feature for the Pro-ject. Most arms have weights that can be adjusted variably along with anti-skating.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/27/21 at 17:18:49

Agree with John. Best to get a small electronic scale that measures to the hundredth gram (.01) and carefully weigh the cartridge stylus tip to measure the vertical tracking force(VTF). Start with the cartridge manufactures recommendation and adjust as needed.

Sounds like you were light on VTF if your cartridge wasn't tracking grooves well, even on a slightly warp record.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 03/04/21 at 22:35:40

As it turns out, I tried a different counterweight for the tonearm, and all is well. Pro-ject makes 10 different counterweights for this TT! Each has a range of cartridge weights that can be used. Don't ask me, it wasn't my idea. So, now that I have the correct counterbalance, and Rebalanced the tonearm, the differences are great. What a little nightmare that was. Besides not tracking correctly, the original set up had too much bass, and generally didn't sound very good. Of course, it couldn't, given the circumstance. Now, that I have things right, the sound is getting better but I have ordered a replacement stylus that will be here next Monday.
 I was also able to get a new phono pre from Vincent Audio, and that helped a bit but not as much as I would have hoped. All is not lost since eventually the parts for the phono pre that I am building will arrive and we will give it all another go. I just know that this set up is able to do very much more, but you have to al least give it a chance with better equipment to start with (and correct alignment and etc!). Smiley

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 03/12/21 at 03:31:43

An update. Today I installed a new stylus purchased from LP gear for this cartridge. I don't think that the old stylus itself was damaged as much the suspension. When someone says that the sound came back in focus, that's what happened here. It has been a harder row to hoe with this TT, but it now really has my attention and appreciation.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/12/21 at 06:38:54

If the suspension was bad it could have thrown off the VTA/SRA so with that corrected the "focus" seems right.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print