Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 14:03:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZROCK2 Settings and Impedances (Read 2245 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

ZROCK2 Settings and Impedances
02/26/21 at 05:14:27

The ZROCK2 works into impedances of 24K or higher.  I determined this by first measuring the unit into a 200K load at the sweet spot where I typically have mine set.  Since it ends up set in this position so often, I marked it with a white dot.  This came in handy when I decided to measure the unit to see what response it had at this particular setting.

This setting is 5dB above unity which is to say that if you hit the bypass switch, volume will drop by 5dB.  

At these two settings the EQ and function of the ZROCK2 remain largely the same.  In the 200K load, there is a slight presence peak of about 2dB and then a small roll off right at 20KHz.  In the 24K load it is the same but without the small treble roll off.

Both have a 3dB increase at 20Hz which is only 1dB at 40Hz, so basically not really heard.  

So my regular setting is by and large a flat response at 5dB above unity.  

Above is the setting for the ZROCK2 video demo using the classic rock band Boston.  You can see we are now at close to 9dB above unity with a bass shelf of 6dB above that.  Also in this setting there is a treble rise into the lower 24K impedance shown by the blue line.

Here is a link the video demo of the ZROCK2 playing Boston with the above settings, both on and off.

https://decware.wistia.com/medias/pifb52r0ad

WWW   IP Logged
jamnesta
Verified Member

Re: ZROCK2 Settings and Impedances
Reply #1 - 01/05/22 at 22:29:10

Hi, Just discovered Decware and specifically the ZROCK2. My concern is the 15k input impedance of my Joule Electra preamp. Steve states that the ZR2 works with impedances of 24k or higher and for lower impedances you start to see a lift in the high frequencies….not what I want.
The manual does say that the ZR2 will drive loads from 10k to 500k so I’m wondering if anyone has used one into a lower impedance device and what your results were.
 My amp has an input of 20k which is closer to the recommended level but the Joule pre ideally has a tape loop and I like the idea of a tube buffer/eq/ magic box following my CD player.
  Thank you for any help.
  John

John

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/05/22 at 23:22:08

I can't answer your specific question but you can put the ZR2 before the preamp.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/26/22 at 04:59:38

jamnesta wrote:

Quote:
The manual does say that the ZR2 will drive loads from 10k to 500k so I’m wondering if anyone has used one into a lower impedance device and what your results were.

I quizzed Steve about this over a year ago.  To my understanding, while 24K or higher is ideal, it will work above 10K albeit at a slight loss of a few dB in volume.  He told me that the slight loss in volume is usually not an issue with solid state amps, but could be with power light tube amps.  Though tube amps usually have a very high input impedance and are not normally an issue.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print