03/28/24 at 15:58:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FRX2 On PAP Quintet (Read 5096 times)
Doug
Seasoned Member

FRX2 On PAP Quintet
02/25/21 at 01:23:40

If you’ve ever wondered what Decware FRX2 drivers look like on a big OB speaker system.........

[img][/img]

The sound is detailed, powerful, effortless........musical!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Re: FRX2 On PAP Quintet
Reply #1 - 02/25/21 at 01:26:53

you sit that close!?!?!?

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/25/21 at 01:37:03

No, we’ve shoved a bunch of stuff in the back two-thirds of the listening  room in temporary storage, forcing my chair forward six to seven feet, so it’s actually not a listening room today.  Sad.....very sad.

It’s all good though.......I’m listening to that system this very minute from the kitchen table upstairs!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
Audio Nut
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/04/21 at 01:00:32

Hi Doug.  I have PAP Quintets as well.  I just replaced the Voxativ AC 1.6s with Cube Audio F10 Neos which are phenomenal.  How do you like the Decware drivers compared to the Voxativ’s?  

Jeff

IP Logged
thestyk
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/04/21 at 02:16:19

Very nice Smiley

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/04/21 at 19:48:39

Hey Jeff, I’ll bet those Cube drivers are phenomenal!  One day I hope to buy some truly high end drivers, but for the time being I’m tuning my room and system around my current Quintet options.

The Decware FRX2 drivers are as detailed and dynamic as the Voxativ 1.6’s—probably even a bit better in both of these categories—but they are smoother than 1.6’s.  There is no evidence of any peakiness at all, at least not when using my own ears as the measuring device!  I’ve currently got them crossed over at 600 hz.  The last time I used them on the Quintets I had them crossed at about 300 hz, and I think I like the lower crossover point better; I need to try that again in the next few days.  The FRX2’s are less efficient than the 1.6’s, but match perfectly with the PAP woofers, so no resistors are needed on the crossover board when using the Decware drivers.  The bottom line is that the FRX2 drivers are every bit as good as the Voxativ 1.6 and the Horn1......just different, as one would expect.

What amplification are you using to drive yor Quintets?

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/04/21 at 22:11:00

Doug,

Wow, I can't even imagine what they must sound like! Look great and guarantee they sound as well as you stated.

JD

IP Logged
Audio Nut
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 03/05/21 at 05:38:27

Hi Doug, great feedback.  Sounds like a nice step up from the 1.6s.  The PAP speakers are really fun, so many ways to set them up.  I’ve tried numerous configs.  I actually had to take off the top woofer because my ceiling is too low and I’ve got these darn heater pipes.  Oh well!

My current config is interesting.  I’m running the Cube F10s full range through a First Watt SIT-3, no crossover.  I’m actually not using the PAP woofers at all right now, just the Cubes full range and a pair of JL subs rolled off at 100hz.  This was my “test” set up when I got the Cubes a few weeks ago and I’ve yet to update it, it is absolutely terrific.  There’s really something magic about a full range in an open baffle with no crossover at all.  

Next up, I plan on experimenting with the Cubes and the PAP woofers with an electronic crossover and I’m going to build the Cube full range transmission line enclosure.  I love experimenting and trying different set ups.  

The next big upgrade is a Zen Mystery Amp which I am so excited to get.  Unfortunately, that magnificent amp is about 4 months out.  Fortunately, the SIT-3 is a wonderful amp and will keep me in musical bliss until the ZMA arrives!

Jeff

EB9C92B0-91BA-4FA8-A479-75FDDA13252C.jpeg
  IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/17/21 at 21:02:11

Nice! That configuration (FRX2 with PAP quintet) was on my list as consideration for my next speakers, good to hear that it is a great option, though I now got some vintage Infinity Beta.

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print