Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:37:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power Blackout......Injured CSP3-25 (Read 7895 times)
Doug
Seasoned Member

Power Blackout......Injured CSP3-25
02/16/21 at 18:15:49

Evergy Corp., our power company in Lees Summit, Missouri (an east side suburb of Kansas City), initiated a one hour controlled blackout this morning to help “protect” our 17 state power grid.  Unfortunately, it came without warning while I was on a Zoom meeting with my employer.  And yes, I had my main system on in the background, as there was no possibility of me needing to speak in this meeting.  

My iPad (with Zoom meeting in hand) and I headed to the listening room to turn down all the volume knobs on the CSP3 and the power amp and to turn all the power switches off.  When the meeting ended and the power came on, I went downstairs again to power up the system and resume listening to Mari Kodama playing Beethoven piano sonatas.  All components powered up as normal, and the four tubes on the CSP3 each had their usual glow.  Unfortunately, I got no sound from my speakers.  After 30 minutes or so of troubleshooting I isolated the problem to the CSP3.  I did discover that when I turned all volume controls on the CSP3 and the LFD NCSE power amp to max, and put my ear an inch from the FRX2’s, which are currently the full range drivers in my PAP Quintets, I could faintly hear piano playing. The CSP3’s output has fallen to extremely low levels and I have not been able to determine the cause.  Any ideas what might happening here?

By the way, my 25th CSP3 is one of the very early versions that Steve made prior to the current fancy edition that matches the SE84UFO25.

Doug

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Power Blackout......Injured CSP3-25
Reply #1 - 02/16/21 at 18:20:30

First guess is the rectifier tube. If the tubes light up then the low voltage is good, as is the mains fuse, but you're missing the high voltage aka B+ that makes the amp work.

P.S. Best to all of you who are dealing with the deep freeze, I hope things get back to "normal" soon.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/16/21 at 18:28:07

What CAJames said but how could the power being cut cause this?  It seems no different than turning off the amp's own power switch.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/16/21 at 18:44:50

It is probably turning it back on that was the cause. Rectifiers do fail. . . . NOS American and European less than Chinese in my experience.  It may not be a failed rectifier, it may be one of the fuses in the fuse box underneat the chassis.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/16/21 at 18:50:51

Sounds logical that it could be the rectifier, but I don't think I have ever had a rectifier fail while still lighting up. When mine have gone, they shorted and blew the fuse (my very early CSP3 has only the IEC fuse), and were officially dead.....the rectifier no longer lighting up. I have no experience with the internal fuses, but I too can imagine that as a possibility.

Guessing that you bypassed the CSP3 altogether to verify it as the problem, running source ICs only on the amp?

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/16/21 at 19:18:37

agreed, very likely the rectifier. the high voltage plates can short, causing the IEC fuse to blow.....I don't know if Steve created a fused protection circuit underneath the chassis of the CSP3-25th Anniversary, I haven't needed to open mine up to confirm for you.

definitely replace the rectifier, after checking the fuse at the IEC of the power cord.....

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/16/21 at 19:38:47

I’ve also seen many rectifier tubes fail upon start-up during the past 30 years, but all died by, what looked to be, violent deaths, followed by no sign of life afterward.  My Sophia Electric 274B Aqua rectifier tube came up slowly at turn-on, as it always does, and it is glowing as beautiful as ever.  

Yes, bypassed the CSP3 altogether to confirm it as the culprit.

And I too was wondering if the CSP3 might have internal fuses like the Torii Jr has.  I’m going to open it to check.

Thanks for the all the replies!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/16/21 at 20:26:43

Wow!  It’s always an amazing experience to see the guts of a Decware amp!  The CSP3 is quite the beauty!

There are, indeed, three fuses sitting in a fuse holder/plate that is mounted to the bottom of the rectifier tube socket.  All three fuses are in good condition.  Everything else looked as it should, except for two drops of beeswax that had dripped from the larger caps underneath the output tubes.  

Here’s where this episode becomes embarrassing.  The preamp is fine.  The tubes are fine.  The interconnect cables are fine.  The guy who knocked the selector switch pointing to the empty set of input jacks is an idiot!

All is well.   Embarrassed

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/16/21 at 20:46:11

Glad you found it to be an inadvertent switch thing. Happy days again!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 02/16/21 at 20:52:19

I'd take that every day. Glad the story had a happy ending!

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/16/21 at 21:16:27

Hey Doug, great news! I go thru that kind of thing all the time, lol

Happy listening!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 02/16/21 at 21:21:52

Great news!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #12 - 02/16/21 at 21:40:04

If I had a dollar for every time I waited for something to come on only to realize it needs to actually be plugged it in first...

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/16/21 at 22:42:33

And even better news is that Steve told me that when the beeswax caps drip and develop an air gap inside, they sound even better!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/17/21 at 00:21:22

Hey Archie, that sounds very interesting......can anyone explain it?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/17/21 at 00:34:58

You'll have to ask Steve.  Way beyond my paygrade!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 02/17/21 at 00:55:05

Aye, maybe Steve will chime in!

IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 02/17/21 at 01:15:49

I had to smile at this as I feel like I am the only one who ever has this type of stuff happen to them.  So glad to hear that the situation is fixed.  That is a great feeling when you get music back after troubleshooting.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 02/17/21 at 01:25:58

Nope, you're part of the silent majority!   Grin

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #19 - 02/17/21 at 02:15:30

I have been down that same road...........

Bought a new music server and could not find/see the power button to turn it on.
I have a bad habit of forgetting that I turned the ZBIT all the way down, wondering why I have no sound.
For some reason BubbleUPnP likes to switch to an inactive renderer on me, where did the music go?

Doh!

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/17/21 at 02:49:30

Remember the old Chechen & Chong? I turned it on man!

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 02/17/21 at 11:27:53

Everyone has those oops moments. Sometime I forget to turn up the attenuator on my CSP3 preamp when powering up the system. After a few choice swear words, I eventually figure out my mistake.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print