Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simple question: Cold (Read 1617 times)
drford
Seasoned Member

Simple question: Cold
02/15/21 at 21:18:05

Hi All,

As my amp slowly moves up the waitlist, I bought a cheap Tubecube a few months ago so I could 'learn' more about running a tube amp. I figured if I'm going to do something wrong-headed, I'd rather do it on a $150 amp Smiley Actually, the setup through Randy's F-15's sounds pretty darn good, but I digress.

My question is about cold starting the amp - can you mess it up? In this bitter cold snap, Texas is sitting at -13C (yikes!) and so my music room runs about 50 degrees at night no matter how I set the heating. The house just wasn't built for this.

When I get up first thing, I usually just fire up the amp and play an album to start the day. But when it is this cold, I get a few pops and cracks as it comes to temperature; one of my Tung Sols failed and I had to replace it. Coincidence, or should I worry? Does it matter? I don't mind for this amp, but I'll most certainly care when my SE34I.5 Rachael arrives.

Is there something I need to do when it's wicked cold out?

Richard

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Simple question: Cold
Reply #1 - 02/15/21 at 22:31:42

The only concern with cold that I've read is when the amp is shipped and may have become very cold -- like freezing and below.  It was recommended to let the amp warm up to room temperature before firing it up.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/15/21 at 22:42:23

Yeah, I would worry about it being below freezing and taking it into a warm place.  The issue there being condensation and the rapid temperature change.  For example with TVs and LCD screens, fine if they get cold during shipping, but leave them in the box, in the house for a few hours to let things SLOWLY get up to room temperature, avoid condensation, and you are good.

If it is already installed, sitting in the house (and hopefully it does not get too much colder for your sake!), I would not hesitate to switch it in.

It is going to warm up slowly (in a good way) on its own and be fine.

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/16/21 at 13:16:39

Thank you all - I will relax about it (and put on mittens and a bobble hat for my morning listening Smiley ).

Sorry for the newbie questions, but the list of what I don't know about tubes is LONG.

Richard

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print