Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:17:13 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Help Choosing a DAC that Pairs Well with Zen Triod (Read 12175 times)
BJF
Verified Member

Help Choosing a DAC that Pairs Well with Zen Triod
02/13/21 at 15:26:53

I have a super Zen Triod on order. Also, I have ordered Omega Alnico compact monitors. I wonder if people can help me choose a sub $1000 DAC that works well with this amp. I listen to folk music, so vocals and acoustic instruments are important. Maybe something neutral sounding? These are the DACs I'm considering:

Schiit Frostbite
Burson Composer
SMSL M400

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Help Choosing a DAC that Pairs Well with Zen Triod
Reply #1 - 02/13/21 at 15:53:23

BJF - Welcome to the forum and to Decware. We have a Bitfrost feeding our CSP3 into our Rachael amp, works great good sounding DAC. I originally had a Krell DAC feeding my 2 watt Zen SE84CS. Not familiar with the other two DAC's you list, but you should get some good info from this forum. I also have Omega's so I think you are in store for a great system when it all comes together. Please keep us posted on your progress, this forum is an amazing collection of music lovers, gear head and all round stand up peeps. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 02/13/21 at 15:57:20

Just buy one of these and be way ahead of the game.

https://www.denafrips.com/ares#:~:text=The%20Ares%20DAC%20is%20a,suitable%20arch....

Trust me, I'm a professional.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/13/21 at 16:03:25

What will you be hooking up to the DAC? A PC/Mac or other sources? WiFi or ethernet connections to the PC or Mac? What kind of cabling from source to the DAC - USB, digital, etc? This will help us cull the field a bit.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 02/13/21 at 16:10:30

You didn't say which media you use for music. I want to like Schiit for a lot of reasons, not least of which is they set up shop in my home town. But they have a thing against DSD which makes their DACs a no go for me. If playing DSD files (either downloads or RIPs from SACDs) is part of your repertoire then I would look elsewhere, but if not they make excellent gear.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
BJF
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/13/21 at 17:32:30

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and all the helpful responses. I really appreciate the help.I'm a newbie and tend to not provide enough information in my posts. I'll work on that.

I use Apple products, so I'll be inputting from my iPhone (currently an 8) and my MacBook Pro. Not sure about cables yet--recommendations?

I should also mention that I currently have a red Dragonfly DAC with their Jitterbug filter that I use with my iPhone and an older pair of Sennheiser headphones. I recently purchased  a coaxial cable (Evergreen Bridge from AudioQuest) that I will use to connect the Dragonfly to the Zen Triode. This will get me started, but I don't want the DAC to be the weakest link and keep me from getting the best from my new system. So, I'm looking for a more capable DAC.

I like the denafrips suggestion. I have been reading reviews. The presentation  tends, according to reviewers, to be warm. I wondered if this would be a good thing and compliment the warmth of my tube amp or if it would be too much of a good thing and come at the expense of detail?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 02/13/21 at 18:03:59

I don't have any realistic first hand experience with DACs within your budget range so can't be as helpful as I'd like to be. I love my DAC--but it lists for 6,000 dollars (not what I paid for it!) so I think it's off the table for recommending.

I do want to address the "warmth of your tube amp." I would not describe the Zen amp as "warm." Certainly not warm in the sense of the Dynaca amp of my Dad's I grew up with or the EICO integrated stereo amp from '59 I had for a handful of years. The Zen amp can be made slightly warm with some tube complements and slightly not-warm with others and points in between--in stock form I'd call it pretty close to neutral. So if there's a bit of "warmth" from a DAC I don't think it would be compounding a warm signature that would be syruppy or thick and would conceal detail.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/13/21 at 18:12:15

The Denafrips Ares has digital coax, optical, and USB inputs + single ended RCA and balanced XLR outputs to your amp or preamp. In addition to sounding great, it's got everything you'll need for connecting sources.

I don't use Apple products, but most folks use a USB cable to connect a laptop or small factor computer to the DAC. I suggest you search out a USB cable that is compatible with your MacBook Pro which is likely to give you better SQ than the iPhone-Dragonfly set up. Try each of the USB outputs on the MacBook as one may sound better than another.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 02/13/21 at 18:17:26

Quote:
Posted by: BJF      Posted on: Today at 17:32:30

...I like the denafrips suggestion. I have been reading reviews. The presentation  tends, according to reviewers, to be warm. I wondered if this would be a good thing and compliment the warmth of my tube amp or if it would be too much of a good thing and come at the expense of detail?

So I have a pair of UFOs (with the bypass cap mod, copper beeswax cap and stepped attenuators) and Omega Super AlNiCo monitors. And I would not call the sound warm or "soft" in the traditional tube sense. Rather it is detailed and transparent with just a hint of liquidity (and all of that can be adjusted with different tubes, but that is a whole 'nother kettle of fish). My experience is all the detail and warmth your front end inputs will be output by your amp and speakers. Nothing added and nothing subtracted.

You made some excellent choices for amp and speaker and are in for a real treat when they arrive. And you are wise to consider the best front end you can afford because it will pay you back in spades in your new system.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/13/21 at 18:59:52

I agree about trying to get the best front end you can work out.

With a transparent and revealing system like you are getting...I think there is nothing more important than the front end and all its parts.....If the beauty and completeness is not there, your amp and speakers won't have it. So getting the best source you can afford, and supporting it with the best cables, power, digital conversion, USB regeneration, computer or server....finding the best balance you can put together is an exploration you will not likely regret.

I have not been DAC shopping for years having been really happy with a tuned up NOS Tranquility DAC with a souped up Mini, USB cleaner, and using an external drive (firewire) on a different buss than the USB out for the DAC, even the drive chosen for musical quietness and smooth/complete sound for music files. Related, I have experienced HK's suggestions for trying different USB ports, some quieter, so more musical.

After the Tranquility I got onto a Gustard X20Pro modification cycle. The DAC got a lot of praise as it was, competing with high end DACs according to many, but with fairly simple modifications, it came into a new level, one that some said competed well with very high end analog setups and the best digital. Don't know, but I find it sounded like music, not "digital," and still do a few years later.

So I have not really been looking further, although the higher range Denafrips and Holo DAC seem to keep coming up for me. But I like what I have so much, I really can't see changing at this point.

The modified Gustard is seriously supported by a modified Singxer USB convertor (I am using usb into the Singxer SU-1 and I2S from it to DAC) and the best sounding cables I could make or get, with clean power, a very simple/quiet OS running my Mini, and player software that to me processes 44.1 uncompressed, error corrected files in as real a way as possible. Vibration mitigation is everywhere in the chain, supporting less damage to the source digital, and choices for feet were different for each part of the chain, all determined by sound.

With the Tranquility I did not miss high-resolution, the 44K files sounding really good, but it was tuned for that....no upsampling....pure NOS.

Then with the Gustard, it sounds like it has been tuned for hi-resolution files and upsampling to me. From a lot of testing, I enjoy the 44k files upsampled in quality player software to 352.8K, supporting how important software and computer hardware is. If it reveals the files in ways that mess with the digital timing, and/or by adding noise, or truncating the files in any ways, it will have digital artifacts....and if not, it can sound like music!

In this sheltered and limited quest it has been many years since I thought digital was brittle or damaged sounding with time or noise issues, not because there have not been problems in digital development, but because I have tried to meet those challenges with attention to refinement on all fronts that contribute to a front end. And I find they all matter if we want to utilize all that is there on a digital file....which is a lot more than many digital front ends can convey well across the full spectrum and across many recording styles.

To me the most important and easier reads are in the very fine stuff.....leading edges, complexity and completeness of detail feathering hard edges, textures, harmonic information...the space and room sounds....decays. If these subtler and more fragile parts of the signal are all fully there, and evenly across the spectrum, chances are the rest of the signal is less impaired, more complete, more natural sounding.

I think I was lucky, especially back in the day, when I had a lot of help from the developer of the Tranquility DAC, a project where every part was tested by blind testing, the goal to match good analog front ends in multiple high end setups. Not only parts, they discovered everything else mattered and approached it the same way, each cable, or computer, software, or whatever...all of it run through extensive blind testing. So I was able to glean the benefits from this serious testing by folks I almost always agree with on sound balance and the myriad qualities that make a recording sound like music.

So learning from Eric Hider, and then working with the foundation he provided, I am still learning all the time, the music a great teacher.

A tribute to the effort into design, the Tranquility, out of production for quite a while now, still Eric often has folks with high-end DACs who heard a Tranquility setup at a friends, and want Eric to set them up with the latest Tranquility DAC tuning, Mini setup, etc. From him I have also been hearing good things about the Holo ladder DACs from Kitsune, apparently a very refined DAC, especially with a little extra fine tuning. Seems the Holo flagship is now being praised by many folks as the best there is. Costly, but for the sustained levels of careful development, and for the money, still amazing by reports.

Anyway, as I look at generalized fundamentals of digital, my idea is that many folks who are still biased against digital, are limited by that bias. Thinking it is just not quite right makes it harder to get it right!

Then many often inadvertently support keeping digital down by buying gear that can't be great due to its incompleteness, "proving" that digital can't quite be great! Think about it, many hard core analog lovers simply don't go nearly as deeply into developing a digital front end as they have for their analog front ends. And in a round about way, by using digital that sounds pretty good, but can't be great by its nature, this supports a bias against digital.

Even lots of reviewers are using pretty noisy computer setups for fragile purist digital signals, like laptops with noisy displays integrated, OK, but compared to cleaner systems, limiting potential from the get go where it all begins...the digital file server.

On the other hand, there is a lot of great effort going into refined OSs, player software, and hardware to support fragile digital with the least damage. Also the resurgance for ladder DACs is now shaking things up nicely, setting new "analog" standards that more "normal" chip users are learning to compete with.... Associated, DACs like mine, with later model Saber chips that traditionally are not as musical as many would like, are being designed by innovative sound developers overseas who are joining the fray in big ways, pushing design boundaries for tech that supports not just good tech, but good sound.... So making DACs while carefully listening for the experience of music, not digital playback. The Holo seems to be in this category from what I hear. Sorry to say I have not heard it myself though, instead parroting a trusted friend's views.

Bottom line, especially with digital to analog being innately fragile, I have found consistently that every part really matters. And if well done, it can make music that is relatively undamaged, resolving, spacious, dynamic and musical...complete. I love my digital setup and how well it integrates with my system. Not totally perfect, but the whole produces some eerily real feeling sound to me, and I am pretty well blown away every time I listen, and for the whole session, amazed again and again.

Sorry for the generalizations and no real recommendations, but I thought a broader baseline story might help.

Good luck,

Will

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 02/13/21 at 19:21:30

I have had the Denafrips Ares II for getting on close to a year now.

It is so good to my ears feeding either my Torii or my ZKit60 (Dan the Amp). It adds some lushness, a huge soundstage and is quite articulate.

To give you a idea of where I have been in my DAC journey through the last 10 years or so and and how I ended up here.

I started with several $1k amps, a Decware ZDAC, then a Wyred 4 Sound DAC 1.
The Wyred stayed in my system for quite a few years until Windows 10 stopped talking to it, rendering it into a brick.
I then replaced it with a Grace Designs M900 for a year or two.
The Grace didn't really light my fire, so I started shopping and the Denafrips popped up on my radar. I'm so happy that it did. I've been raving about it ever since.

So there you go, in the future I may step up the Denafrips product line as I see fit.

If there was someone out there wanting to send me $1400 and maybe selling my Ares II would put me into something really interesting....
Come on Covid check!

IP Logged
BJF
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 02/13/21 at 19:41:28

Again, thank you all so much for the input. This is very, very helpful. I am happy to hear I have made good choices so far. I am a newbie, but I am a tireless investigator, so if I read, listen, and gather enough I usually find a good path forward. I'll keep digging.

The Denafrips does not ship from within the US, and that always gives me a little pause. But the reviews are very good!

The Schiit DAC has modules that make it really easy to update, which seems like a good idea, since I read that DACs may need updating.

The Burson Composer has oamps in its output stage that can be rolled for different sound experiences, which I thought was interesting.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 02/13/21 at 20:32:07

BJF wrote on 02/13/21 at 19:41:28:
The Denafrips does not ship from within the US, and that always gives me a little pause. But the reviews are very good!

When I ordered my Denafrips, I too had my doubts about ordering from outside of the US.

But Alvin from Vinshine Audio sent me a email almost immediately after placing my order making sure that I knew that the order had been received and giving me a shipping date.
It was delivered a day before his promise date, and I became a happy customer.

IP Logged
Rob7
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 02/13/21 at 23:05:33

Denafrips. Running the Terminator in one of my systems.  Stereophile reviewed terminator and Aries. (Said both “measured” the same).

Denafrips uses an R2R architecture vs the much more common Sigma Delta chip. As always, their are naysayers to both technologies. Typically the Delta Sigmas will measure better than R2R  system.

While a starting point for comparison, I’m convinced there is something happening beyond what measurements reveal. Hearing is a mysterious extraordinarily complicated neurological process heavily affected by the external environment (Ever wonder why Asian language speakers find L and R difficult? They sound completely different to them than they do to native English speakers. Much like there are sounds in their language native english speakers are incapable of “hearing”. Our brains learn to filter extraneous sounds that may interfere with our specific language. There are many interesting YouTube videos about auditory illusions also)

I have a reasonably good Sigma Delta rig, Oppo 205, to compare.  The R2R Denafrips  was a game changer for me.  My turn table is gathering dust.

Their prices are listed in Singapore dollars. Considerably less in US dollars! (Last I checked S$1000 is about $755 US.)

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/14/21 at 03:00:49

I was in search for a new DAC about a year ago and almost bought the Denafrips Ares II but the more I read the more I was convinced to buy the Denafrips Pontus, the bigger brother to the Area. The cost was about $1700, about twice the Ares but I've had no regrets as it is a great value for the price and sounds wonderful. Money spent on the source will elevate your amp and speakers to sound better than you could imagine.

I would encourage you to consider spending more on your DAC. You will thank yourself later in pure musical pleasure.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/14/21 at 04:20:58

BJF, if you can stretch your budget to $1100 you might want to give the Cambridge Audio CXN v2 streamer DAC a close, serious look:

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CACXNV2

Steve Deckert raved about it not that long ago. You can read about his experience with it here:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1587527488

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #16 - 02/14/21 at 05:28:21

BJF,

First off welcome to the forum.  I guess a few questions are in order for you to sort out before you make an educated decision.  Do you like the idea of having a dedicated DAC  with a separate streamer or do you want a DAC/streamer combo?  How important are having XLR outputs as an option?  If you have had a chance to hear certain type of DAC’s....Which do you prefer… a R2R ladder type DAC or one that utilizes chipsets from makers  like Wolfson, Sabre, or AKM ?  Also....are you interested in listening to a DSD...if that is a must...then there are certain DAC’s that come off the table right away....like the Schiit.  

Like yourself… I went from an AQ Dragonfly Red coming out of my Mac computer to my system.  I was  also streaming music from Tidal and Qobuz from my iPhone, as well as using my iMac running Audirvana, going to a solid state amp.  I really enjoyed the sound, but I was in the market for upgrading my DAC, so I thought hard about some of the aforementioned questions.  

For me XLR was an option I wanted.  I had already heard at Decfest the Teac NT503 which uses the AKM chipset....and I really liked it...ALOT.  But then I had also heard a lot of good things about the Schiit DAC... and was very curious about the R2R ladder style topography.  So I did a lot of reading about R2R ladder DAC’s.

So I ultimately decided to buy the new Schiit  Bifrost True multibit DAC.  I am currently streaming from a Google Chromecast Audio via Optical to my Bifrost.  I must say that to my ears I love the sound and as of now I am partial to  R2R ladder style DAC.  Will this change....possibly.  But I would really need to do side by side comparisons of ladder DAC’s vs chipset DAC’s in the same price point.  

Now....the monkey wrench....I am listening through a solid state amp.  My Torii MKIV is in que and I should take delivery probably in late March.   So please take what I am saying based off this.  Once I have a more revealing system....my impressions may change.  But there are so many variables that Will mentioned that alter the sound.  I have also heard phenomenal things about the Kitsune Holo....it’s out of my price range right now...but I could see that being my endgame DAC, especially since its an R2R ladder style.  

Having the best front end that you can afford is money well invested.  Some advice.....whichever DAC’s you choose to narrow it down....make to take a look at the power supply.  FYI....The Teac’s use a dedicated toroidal transformer for each channnel.....that was one thing that I found impressive.  A lot of companies do not do this.  So far I love my Bifrost and have no complaints.  If you are going through USB...the Bifrost USB hub has been completely reworked with a new pico processor that according to Schiit...blows away optical and digital coaxial.  For a short while when I was running the USB out of my iMAC to the Bifrost USB...I have to say that it was super impressive.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 02/14/21 at 11:55:29

As Dom noted the Cambridge Audio CXN V2 is a very good one box streamer/DAC option for $1099. As funds allow you can get the unit upgraded with an excellent tube output & Lundahl transformers by ModWright Instruments which makes it a truly reference unit for another $1500.

If you plan on streaming HiRez music, I don't think you can find a better value. It also has plenty of input options for other sources, as well as RCA and XLR outputs. It's also very user friendly and Roon Ready.

I'm a happy owner.

HK

IP Logged
BJF
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 02/14/21 at 13:38:46

Thank you for mentioning the streamer option, specifically the Cambridge Audio CXN V2. A streamer is something I haven't considered, but it sounds like a great option. I'm definitely going to investigate.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/14/21 at 13:49:50

John,

You are correct, it's $1500. Guess I was thinking about the PH 9.0 phono preamp upgrade cost 😁.

BJF,

The CXN V2 is a streamer and a DAC in one box. Saves you the need from a connecting USB or other digital cable. It's usually the cable that introduces SQ issues. It also saves you rack or shelf space.

HK

IP Logged
ovs-audio
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 02/14/21 at 14:54:18

Hi, buy a topping dac, the d70 or d90, even the e30 is already verry nice, i had over the last years more then 120 dacs, the topping dacs are very nice for the money, you can take the allo usbridge, or the allo signature spdif streamer. Verry cheap together and better then the cambridge for me.

Another very nice combo is audio note 0.1x dac with allo spdif signature streamer.

IP Logged
BJF
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 02/14/21 at 17:48:58

buy a topping dac, the d70 or d90, even the e30 is already verry nice,

Thank you for this recommendation! I've dug into the Topping D90 a little, and like what I read. In fact, the descriptions I read sound fantastic.

The Toppings D 90 comes in a standard version and an MQA version. Is the MQA feature worth another $100? I'm new to streaming at this level, and have looked into MQA a bit. I'm not sure what to think.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 02/14/21 at 22:27:11

There are a lot of good choices for you to choose from. I forgot to include a thoughtful review of the Denafrips Pontus. You could get some useful information via this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM2ZsPBaOpo

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 02/14/21 at 23:27:11

and remember, the Denafrips website prices in Singapore dollars and the conversion is 0.75 so lots cheaper in US$!!

IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 02/15/21 at 04:24:26

++ on Denafrips. I have the Pontus, and highly recommend it. However, if the Pontus is beyond budget, the Ares is sure to please based on all the positive praise 've seen.
Plus, Alvin at Denafrips was very responsive and professional to my emails

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #25 - 02/15/21 at 15:53:04

Damn. You guys are making me want to buy a Denafrips DAC...

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #26 - 02/15/21 at 17:31:43

Buy a Denafrips and throw rocks at the other DAC's.
They are that good.
Well at least to my way of listening.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #27 - 02/15/21 at 19:33:59

Here is a YouTube video of a DAC shootout that compares several of the DAC’s that are recommended here like the Schiit, Denefrips, Topping, Chord, and the RME.  It’s a decent video and the takeaway is like ordering full fat ice cream, all are very good it just depends what flavor you are after.  I’m sure there are better videos out there.....but figured this may help.  The Denefrips does get the overall recommendation at the end of the day and the Schiit gets major accolades as well.  

https://youtu.be/sCP63G8MYOI

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 02/15/21 at 20:07:06

No matter what DAC you decide to buy, your amp and speakers will never sound better than your source allows. Get that right and you will have exciting sound for years.

IP Logged
gsanger
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 02/15/21 at 20:58:01

CAJames - you and be both!

I'll add another voice to the Schiit Bifrost recommendation.  If it's something you're interested in trying, I would actually recommend picking up a Modi Multibit first - $250 new, maybe $180 or so used.  Its mids and highs are very close to that of the Bifrost, and will give you a good idea of the flavor.  The biggest difference is that the bass frequencies on the Modi MB are a bit bloated and loose, while the Bifrost's bass is much tighter and very clean.  But, if you get the Modi first and like it, great!  And if you like it but want tighter bass, sell it and upgrade to the Bifrost.

Also, I saw the Raspberry Pi streamers with Allo hats recommended, and I would second that.  I have the Digione, run Volumio, and am very happy. I have an iPhone and am able to use Airplay to stream with ease from my phone and computer.

As far as MQA, Linn put out an argument a few years ago about why MQA is really a play for Tidal to make money off of a form of digital rights management: https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music.  Others argue it's not like that at all and MQA is totally fine.  My personal opinion is that it's not worth the extra cost, especially if you don't have Tidal subscription.  Just my two cents.

Best of luck, and enjoy your amp when it comes in!

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 02/15/21 at 21:29:21

Good afternoon,

Been following this thread closely.  As I have been considering a stand alone DAC, you've shared lots of good info.  I do have a dilemma.  Currently I'm running an Oppo 105D as a CD/SACD Player, streamer (Tidal) and DAC.  Most of you know the Oppo utilizes dual DAC's.  It is quite versatile.   Still, I want to take it up a notch, so I'm considering a new DAC and perhaps continuing to use the Oppo as a CD/ SACD transport.  Not sure about the streaming piece.  So, do I want to go the route of peacemaking it all out at one time?  Or, do I take it one piece at a time starting with the DAC?

Jim

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #31 - 02/16/21 at 16:56:46

Quote:
Posted by: Blueone302      Posted on: Yesterday at 21:29:21
Good afternoon,

...Still, I want to take it up a notch, so I'm considering a new DAC and perhaps continuing to use the Oppo as a CD/ SACD transport.

Ah, the SACD transport...

I don't know Oppo, or how serious you are about SACD, so apologies in advance if none of this applies, but in general there is no such thing as a "SACD transport." The SACD standard says you can NOT output the DSD bit stream (the SACD file format) the same way you can with a Red Book CD. A (very) few companies have transports with will output DSD over HDMI but typically that will only interface with their own DACs. I know Oppo does a lot of cool stuff and it is possible your unit can do that. But if so, and you care about SACDs, that drastically shortens the list of DACs that you can use. If you (still) care let me tell you my story.

I was an early adopter of SACD, and my journey as been long and tortured, although it has a happy ending. I got my first SACD player from Audio Advisor in the early 2000s, I don't even remember exactly what it was, it may have been from Music Hall. And SACDs sounded great, finally what I had hoped digital would sound like all long. And I was very happy for a few years until it stopped reading some of my discs, and Dr. Google indicated I had the symptoms of a bad laser. It was out of warranty and instead of getting it fixed I figured I deserved an "audiophile" SACD player that I could buy once and use for decades, like most of my audio gear. At that time the Marantz SA-11 had just come out, so I bought one. And it sounded fantastic, noticeably better than my old one. But in less than two years it developed the same symptoms as my previous one. Fortunately I caught it just before the warranty expired so I sent it in and they replaced the laser. Problem solved... for a few more years. I replaced the laser again and when it went bad the third time I started shopping for a new player, hopefully this time I would get a player that I could actually use for decades, like most of my audio gear. I was also interested in hirez downloads so I wanted one that was also a DAC, and I found the Yamaha CD-S2100, that promised among other things a super high quality transport. When I got it it sounded even better than the Marantz, on SACDs, CDs and downloads. But out of the box it had a problem with the transport (should have been a clue) so I got a replacement, and was happy for a more years until (you guessed it) the laser started going bad.

This whole time I was thinking the holy grail would be a way to rip SACDs, like you can do with regular CDs but because of the licensing and blah blah blah that wasn't an option except for a very special version of the PS3 game controller, and I didn't want mess with that. And then it happened: someone figured out how to hack specific models of Sony, Pioneer and (I think) Oppo DVD players and use them to rip SACDs. Details here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/28569-sacd-ripping-using-an-oppo-or-pio...

and/or here:

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/

It takes some work, but I'm a computer professional and long story short now I'm using a $30 Sony DVD player to rip my SACDS, a cheap Windows netbook to play them, along with hirez downloads, a Audiolab CDT6000 to play my CDs and the Yamaha is just a DAC. And I was (really) happy for a few years until you guys started talking about the Denafrips DACs, and they look really really good, along with the DDCs. So thanks for that.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 02/17/21 at 16:33:59

I am on the same boat so would like to add to the query.  I currently have a bluesound node 2i and looking to enhance my digital source.  I have read the thread by Steve with regards to the CXN v2 and I like the all in one box for streaming Tidal, Spotify.  I am also looking into Roon.  But I also like what I have read with the Denafrips DAC.  If you have a standalone DAC what do you use for streaming.  what cable/connection do you have b/w streamer and DAC?  I do recognize that I can use the bluesound node 2i as a streamer but wanting to see if there are other choices.  I have attached a diagram to hopefully aid the discussion.

Roon_ready_pic_002.png

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
Caintuck Lii 15s, T6s, CSP3 25tt , Elekit 8900,IFI Zen Stream, Pontus I
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #33 - 02/17/21 at 17:06:58

Holy crap that looks complicated!

I run from my computer to my DAC to my amplifier.
USB cable from my computer and interconnects from the DAC to the amp.

The computer holds my music and does streaming if I decided to do that.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 02/17/21 at 17:16:45

Donnie,
That would work too!  Is your computer close to your dac/amp?  Do you use a regular usb cable or higher audio grade cable?

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #35 - 02/17/21 at 17:53:44

I do what Donnie does. I don't stream but I have hirez downloads and SACD rips on a PC by my listening chair. I run a 12' USB cable from the laptop to the DAC and IC to preamp to amp.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 02/17/21 at 18:30:24

Thank you Sir!

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 02/17/21 at 18:41:47

I bought a Curious USB cable for the connection from my laptop to my DAC. It made a significant difference in the sound for the better. There was a significant increase in the perceived amount of mid range information as well as sweeter and more extended highs. Just be aware that even a USB cable can make a significant difference in the sound.

I could never see going back to the sound through a regular USB cable for that connection.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 02/17/21 at 18:44:29

Thanks!  That is a hefty price tag for that cable!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #39 - 02/17/21 at 18:51:08

I'm sure I'll eventually get an "audiophile" USB cable, but since my DAC is also my SACD player I can compare playing rips of SACDs over USB vs playing them directly on the player/DAC and if anything they sound better over my Amazon brand USB cable. I'll never say cables don't matter, but I think specifically in the case of USB a lot is determined by the USB receiver circuit in your DAC.

Just FWIW though one of the many things that is appealing about the Denafrips DACs is you can also get a DDC to reclock your USB before it hits the DAC.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 02/17/21 at 20:02:23

I have a very rudimentary understanding a what a DDC does and how it may affect DAC performance.  Just seems like more stuff to hook together and I may tend to be leaning more towards an all in box.  Will do more reading and learning whilst working from home!  Lol!  Thanks!

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 02/17/21 at 20:16:15

Based on all the reading I have done, it seems that using USB connections require, or encourage, the addition of all sorts of devices to prevent or restore damage done in the USB circuits and wired connections. In my view, a person is ahead of the game by using equipment that connects with other than USB.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 02/17/21 at 20:18:31

I think complexity of the front end system is pretty relative to how you want to play music, and as much, how pristine, musically complex and complete you want the digital conversion to analog to be.

For the best playback, using a simple computer or server-to-DAC setup, like our stereo systems, I have found everything matters. Power quality and vibration influence how noisy an amp is, and how much associated noise damages the signal…. Same with the computer or server and DAC...how noise free and revealing they can be depends on power quality and musically tuned vibration mitigation. Also using error free uncompressed files as opposed to compressed Flac and worse, with clean, uncompressed files, the computer/streamer has to work less hard, compressed files needing more work to reconstruct and fill in missing gaps as musically as possible.....

And more computer work, equates to more computer heat and noise, and associated, jitter, and truncation to the music files. Which introduces how the quality and efficiency of software used to play the files matters. And the cables used to convey the digital and analog signals..... Just like with our amps, and speakers, how quiet and resolving different cables are matters. And not just analog, every USB or I2S (HDMI) cable I have tried sounds different, and some much better than others to me, but that is another story. Also different USB implementation sounds different, some sophisticated developers liking USB, but only if well done.

So I have found that these things and more all make some sonic differences individually that can be discerned, and collectively, these potential issue areas can be pretty powerful, leading me to a need for careful attention to all potential problem areas if I want a more ultimate sound quality.

That said, especially these days, with many decent DACs, streamers, and software setups, we can get pretty good playback. The gear is becoming more competent, so causing less issues, and as much, better at "resolving" timing problems, noise and truncation of digital information less noticeably.

So we can get good sounding music with a well done, simple, and relatively low cost digital setup. But by paying attention to all potentially damaging areas in the conveyance and decoding of fragile digital files (including cleaner/more complete power, cables, computer, DAC, etc), we can shift the music from good hifi to a more complete, more life-like musical experience. With the fragility of digital files, even with all the current tricks used to "fix" problems.....it still seems much better to avoid these problems from the start for ultimate digital-to-music conversion.

So I think the Roon diagram posted above is informative, being complex as a means to potentially set up a big home network as noise and damage free as possible. But at the same time, these same principles apply to a simpler system using only a computer/server and DAC.

I don't have Roon, but as I interpret this diagram, it is mostly about avoiding damage to digital playback from less competent computers, cables, other hardware, and resulting noise, jitter, truncation.

So I think this diagram is a good illustration of ways to help avoid these issues. Especially for Roon, because its database and interactive functions introduce lots of computing complexity, its ever-updating vast musical information, personalized filtering for finding music, etc, creates heavy internet and computing loads. So their optimal design seeks to isolate heavy Core computing from the digital playback, leaving playback more simple and clean.

This is one reason they recommend a separate computer for the Roon Core, to isolate noise and jitter that all that computing work could contribute to the music player if they were on the same computer.

So running Core separately, and connecting this heavy computing information through the router, and from there to a pad or phone over wifi, allows for a very sophisticated "remote" with less effect on the music files... The actual music files played through a separate computer, or in this illustration, "a streamer," the streamer doesn’t have to do anything more than play files, so it can run leaner and cooler, so quieter, causing less damage to the digital files.

It seems Roon can work with a single computer doing the Core work as well as streaming and playback from ripped files. It would just be at a cost if we are seeking a more completely musical analog creation.

Anyway, not having experienced Roon, or internet audio streaming in my big setup, this is my crude take on the basic Roon setup.

So as I understand it, digital "artifacts" we hear, are mostly because of problems introduced by noise, jitter and truncation, and also….how these are "repaired" leaves sonic traces we can hear. As a result, a lot of DAC hardware is about extracting the files as cleanly as possible, but also "repairing" them as seamlessly as possible. And repairing something in a digital stream is just hard to do without artifacts. So even with great care we tend to get some artifacts, but we can mitigate them in many ways if we choose.

Where I am going now though....Like the things I mention above, paying attention to the many parts of a front end to get a more ultimate sound.... this is the same in good DAC design. It pays careful attention to keeping the files as pristine as possible, and having to do as little "repair" as possible.... simply because the conversion to music sounds more like real music that way!

This is a basis of the resurgence of NOS DACs and ladder R2R DACs like the Denafrips DACs. R2R ladders and good old NOS chips are fairly well acknowledged as good ways to decode digital with less timing issues, and with less computing/chip affect.....and thus, with all else well done, potentially helping to resolve the output music more beautifully, more naturally.

So with the more sophisticated modern DACs....attention to everything tends to be more complete..... a cleaner and more powerful power supply.… cleaner switches, displays and pre sections… more efficient and quieter parts..… cleaner interfaces and connectors.… better clocks.… choosing the more costly and difficult to produce ladder R2R over stock DAC chips, etc etc..... The more carefully designed and implemented the DAC, the more the output stage of a DAC can sound like music!

And this brings it back to the thread of the same benefits from applying these same principles to the whole of the front end system. Less issues entering the DAC, the less the DAC has to "fix," making for a more pristine musical output.

Finally a theme emerges…. Great digital playback is very much about not creating damage to fragile digital files, converting them as cleanly and completely as possible, and outputting the sound in the most musical way......Lots of considerations that need to work well together for optimal digital to analog conversion.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 02/17/21 at 20:47:50

There is a lot to be digested here.  In my case, I want to be careful.  I got back into tube gear about five or six years ago.  At the time, I was moving out a 7.2 channel system I had had mainly for my girls benefit and was building a two channel system.  My problem was I went too fast.  In the process, I realized it's hard to evaluate multiple new pieces of  audio equipment in a way that helps augment the system as a whole.  At the moment, I have a Mystery Amp on order.  After all I've read so far, I'm wondering if I might need to go back to what I learned from the past and wait on the amp and see how it integrates before going with a new DAC.
J

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #44 - 02/17/21 at 21:49:54

Just hook your DAC up to your computer and listen to music.

Don't overthink it. You will be fine.

This is supposed to be fun, try to not obsess about too much to begin with.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 02/17/21 at 22:20:13

Blueone,

I agree. With the Mystery amp coming, you are already in for some burnin and perhaps some adjustments to best fit the new amp in. So if you like the Oppo setup, and don't feel compelled to change it now, it could be a nice point of comparison just to change the amps!

Give you more time to research and get comfortable with a possible front end move too!

IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 02/18/21 at 20:31:24

My streaming has evolved over the years starting with a Mac mini. After 5 years or so I moved to a Bluesound Node 2, which I enjoyed thoroughly for a couple of years before I moved on to a Sonore microRendu. The mRendu proved to be a nice upgrade in sound quality over the Node 2. In lieu of a USB cable I use an adapter from UpTone Audio:

Sonore microRendu > UpTone USPCB A>B Adapter > MHDT Lab Pagoda

Love my DAC (dual PCM1704 chips, NOS, tube buffered, etc.) BTW but it's a bit over the OP's budget. I settled on the $35 UpTone Adapter after trying several far more expensive USB cables. My music library resides on the microRendu's high-capacity SSD card in WAV format. (I don't believe this is an option any longer.)

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 02/19/21 at 00:13:13

Having sold my last main-system turntable more than 25 years ago, I admit to having longed for a digital source, for the past two and a half decades, that is completely absent the cold hard digital glare.  Many digital disc players—even a couple of very expensive ones—have passed through my systems, but none has had the innate ability to reproduce beautiful music the way my Rega table with a Linn tonearm and a great Audioquest MC cartridge did. As good as my stock Oppo UDP 205 player is, it always grates on me during listening sessions. Sometimes the grating is very minor, and other times it makes my ears bleed.  Minor grating or major grating......it’s always present.

On several occasions I have been very close to boxing up the Oppo 205 and shipping it down to Modwright, but for reasons I just can’t put my finger on, I’ve always pulled back.  I am positive that I would have been more than satisfied with Dan’s modification work, but it simply didn’t happen, and likely never will.  On the other hand, my interest in stand alone DACs has been rapidly growing the past several years, with certain DACs in the $1K to $2K range really catching my eye.  

I have read hundreds of DAC reviews and watched dozens of Youtube video reviews of DACs, but have never been convinced that any of them in my price range would substantially raise the level performance while lowering digital glare......that is, until I began reading reviews on the Denafrips DACs.  I finally made the move yesterday and placed an order for a Denafrips Pontus II!  It is scheduled to arrive here in Kansas City in four to five weeks.  Thanks to all you Denafrips fans for pushing me over the edge!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 02/19/21 at 00:48:38

Doug, congratulations on your decision! I hope you find your new DAC to satisfy your goals.

I have Bryston separates....BDP-2 media player/streamer and BDA-3 DAC. Cost is outside of the interest range of some [$2500 and $3500, respectively], but its just another choice for folks looking for extremely clean & detailed, really low noise floor, with a very neutral rendering of the audio signal.

Anyway, lets us know how your new baby works out for you!

Brad

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 02/19/21 at 01:30:14

Nice Doug.

I have not heard your Oppo, but years ago I had an earlier Oppo, an 83. Though not the same, designed by the same folks with Oppo's attention for detail in design and solidity. I had it modified by Ric Schultz with some pretty nice modifications costing more than the DAC. And still, it just didn't get it for me. I had hoped it would replace my Rega Apollo that I never quite loved either, but still thought it was more musical than the modded Oppo. As I recall the Oppo sounded intellectual in a cleaner/harder way, and the Rega, intellectual in an "analog" warmer way....neither sounding like music to me across recordings. I recall thinking my not falling for my older Oppo was in part a problem with the Saber chip, many folks finding them a little cool and "digital."

That led to a MacBook pro, and soon after Mini (the stock Mini was notably more refined sounding than the MacBook pro running on battery), and a Decware ZDAC, which was a good improvement. And not long after that, I got a NOS Tranquility DAC to try, and really fell for it. Finally having something that sounded a lot like music to me on more recordings, it did not do that entirely out of the box... It took a few tries with nicer USB cables, nicer ICs, Pure Music software settings and filter refinements, as well as fine tuning the Mini, including integrating a quiet external drive for the music files on a separate buss than the DAC. That was pretty great, but then adding an Aqvox USB power isolator, that was a nice capping phrase, clarifying more space and complexity... Finally, I ended up with good digital playback that was seductive and inspiring....like music.

Now, I am back to more recent Saber chips (9028) in the modified Gustard I have been using for a few years, this chip, by reports, more musical than older ones, but I can't say from direct comparison. I figure a lot of the reason I love this current DAC is that it is really revealing, but also smooth and complex... its nice balance I suspect coming from the designers carefully doing design with listening attention... Dual mono, big and refined toroidal transformers and power supply caps, and a pretty natural  sounding output stage that is complexly slightly warm without being masked... at least with the modifications I did. My mods further improved timing, transparency, with carefully tuned damping, bringing out a nice balance of shimmer, speed, revelation and smoothness...  And doing the modifications over some months, I had time, and good guidance, so my voicing contributions luckily made a nice DAC into what is to me a pretty great one.

Just to say, the distinction between musical reproduction and the feel of real music does not come easily for me, but once there, every day it is mind boggling how harmonizing it can be. In contrast though, I am amazed how subtly odd it can be when something goes a little off.

I was just retrying an older Uptone USB regenerator that I had taken out after a USB cable I made really worked! A lucky design attempt, it sounded more refined without the Regen. But as things change I like to revisit things I used to like, so I had put the Uptone regenerator back in a few weeks ago, and liked some things about it...a little more clarified, a little more contrasts in the soundstage.

But finally I realized I was not loving the music as much, especially across recordings. So today I pulled the Uptone thing out and putting the same song back on, relaxed into the magic...the deeper and fuller beauty had returned.

Just ruminating on how important balance is for me in this system/room, and how fragile it can be, especially in setting up a front end that is super transparent, resolving, and complex... providing amazing space, textures and timbre without hardness. I find that many of the things that can make this gorgeous complex happen, can also make it not happen if a little off balance!

So hopefully the Pontus II will be pretty plug and play, but if it is close, I hope  experimenting will make it really sing! They have a lot of great design things going on, and a lot of folks loving their DACs, so fingers crossed!

IP Logged
BJF
Verified Member

Reply #50 - 02/19/21 at 17:14:32

Thank you to everyone for contributing to the conversation. You guys were a big help. Today I ordered a Schiit Bifrost 2. It probably won't be my last DAC, but it will get me off to a start. I settled on the Schiit Bifrost 2 for a few reasons:
1. The USB really does promise to be an improvement. And, for now, I will be connecting through the USB of my MacBook.
2. The easy upgrades seemed like a good idea--removable boards and card slot.
3. Sound wise, most feel it is between the Topping D-90 and Denafrips Aires. So I decided to start out on some middle ground until I get some experience.

I really liked the suggestion of the Cambridge streamer. That's an option I will keep an eye on for the future. Also, I really appreciated those who brought the cable quality issue to my attention. I'll start looking into that.

Thanks again!. I think I have found my people!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 02/19/21 at 17:19:30

Hey BJF, good for you on the decision...and you've got a good plan. Indeed your choice should get you the hole-shot [racing term, lol] you're looking for. Enjoy the journey.....its all about that!

I'm just a relative novice at better equipment and more serious listening, coming back after 25 years of drought, and jumping in only 2 years ago. Ihave alot to learn. You found a goldmine here, great people with great knowledge. Members here have helped me out on a great start back into the heavens of the joys of listening, invaluable, and I wouldn't be even where I'm at now without their HUGE help.

So, its great to have another of our own here!

Brad

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #52 - 02/19/21 at 17:58:28

Quote:
Posted by: BJF      Posted on: Today at 17:14:32
...Today I ordered a Schiit Bifrost 2. It probably won't be my last DAC, but it will get me off to a start.

You have a great system on the way and your amp and speakers will amply reward you for any further upgrades you choose to make.

In the sales pitch for the amps Steve says they will never be the weak link your system, and I'll admit my first thought was "I'm sure they're nice but c'mon...." I had a pretty nice system that I replaced with UFOs and Omega SAMs because it was literally wearing out. My hope was I could get similar quality for less than I spent back in the day but I got a new system that blew it away. It has (almost) ruined me for headphone listening because it has the same or better resolution as my (pretty nice) headphone setup and it has me thinking many dangerous thoughts about future upgrades.

Which is just a roundabout way of saying enjoy your new gear, and if you choose to continue your journey enjoy that trip as well.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 02/19/21 at 18:14:56

Doug, the Denafrips Pontus loads the bit stream into memory and then re-clocks the stream from memory. The absence of glare is one of the first things you will notice when playing through the DAC. Be aware that the default setting for phase reversal will be reverse phase. Just press the button on and off and you will be able to hear the correct phase. Light on is normal phase. You might also want to upgrade the power cord. The DAC is revealing enough that any change you make will be easily heard.

You likely will be impressed with the Pontus.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 02/19/21 at 18:15:47

Yes indeed BJF. You are in for some fun! Wink

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #55 - 02/19/21 at 18:42:00

Congratulations on your choice of the Bifrost 2.  I have been very happy with mine.   It’s a great sounding DAC to my ears with nice detail.  Just a heads up...when hear a click on the unit...it’s due to the change in the bitrate.  It’s completely normal and the DAC is functioning properly.  When playing music of all the same bitrate, you will not hear anything.

I just got notified that my Torii’s status went to parts pulled so I’m  totally stoked...so it’s likely that I have another month before it’s build.  I’ll report back at a later point in time, but I’ll now get to her how well this DAC sounds with the a more revealing system.

You will be very pleased with the USB input.  It’s definitely very refined.  The DAC sounded really good out of th box, but after a few days of regular use, it will open up nicely.  

Dom

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #56 - 02/22/21 at 04:00:41

In keeping with the title of this post, and knowing the budget, I will assume that the DAC will be directly connected to the Zen Triode amplifier.  That makes more sense on a budget because the price of the preamp would just cut into the money spent on the DAC.  We all know the source is the most important component so any time you can spend double on the source vs. half on the source and half on the preamp, you are better to spend double on the source.

Running direct into the amplifier many will use the volume control on the amp to control the volume.  Some will have DAC's with variable outputs and use the volume control on the amp as a gain control. Either way, those who have more gain to work with will usually enjoy the best density, weight and dynamics irregardless of what chip technology is used in the DAC.

So in summary, DAC's with optionally more than 2 volts of output would have an advantage.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
BJF
Verified Member

Reply #57 - 02/24/21 at 23:16:17

Thank you for the input, Steve. After reading your post, I checked the specs  for my dac: Maximum Output: 2.0V RMS single-ended and 4.0V RMS balanced. I am getting the XLR balanced option on my Zen, so balanced XLR in this case looks like a nice advantage over single-ended.  

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 02/24/21 at 23:17:44

I kind of feel like I may be rehashing, but the more I think about it, I may be in the second stage....  or at least I feel like I may be moving into a different stage in my 2 channel listening life.  And I'm okay with that.  I've gone from thinking I might have to give it all up a year ago to the point of rebounding and can now consider a listening room addition.  At this moment and at the minimum, I need more Amp considering the size of the area I'm currently using.  (670 Sq Ft Open Area)  Rig is situated on the right side of space, but space is wide open.   If we build the addition, we're talking !6X28X9.

I've been down this road before.  My exuberance got the best of me and I ended up spending hundreds of dollars shipping speakers back and forth across the country.

After reading all the input.  I really do think the best situation in my situation and for my main room is to wait on AMP.  And then.... painstakingly figure out what to do with my sources.  But, man O man, have you seen the build list?  400+  Thrilled for Decware, bummed for the wait.  The real question might just be, "how much patience does Jim actually have?"

BTW, keep the discussion going.  I'm cutting and pasting, taking notes.

J

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 03/12/21 at 00:08:12

Since several of you guys, by means of this discussion, helped me decide which DAC to purchase, I thought it would be reasonable to provide a little feed back.

After communicating in writing with Alvin at Vinshine, and due to his nearly immediate replies, I placed an order for a Pontus II DAC.  It took eight days for the DAC to make its way to Hong Kong from the Denafrips facility in Mainland China, and the trip from Hong Kong to my home in Lees Summit, Missouri came in right at forty hours!  Impressive, huh?  

As most Pontus reviewers have expressed, the packaging of the DAC was bullet proof.  

The unit itself is beautiful......much like one would expect to see in a $10,000 piece of gear—not a $1,700 DAC.

I connected the coaxial output of my Oppo 205 to one of the coax inputs on the Pontus and hooked the Pontus to my CSP3-25 and began playing music. Without going into great detail, I would like to quote Donnie, who said, “Buy a Denafrips and throw rocks at the other DACs.  They are that good.”  Donnie is right.  It reproduces music in a most beautiful manner.  This purchase is likely the most significant $1,700 I’ve spent since jumping into this hobby fifty years ago.  Yes, it really is that good!  My Pontus now has around a hundred hours on it, and I am more than satisfied.

Oh, and I’ve ordered a DSD decoder on eBay that will allow me to extract DSD files (in my case, SACD music) from my Oppo 205 and feed them to the Pontus through an HDMI I2S connection.  This method is said to produce out of this world results.  I’ll know in a couple of weeks.  

Now it’s time to figure out how I’m going to begin streaming music.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #60 - 03/12/21 at 00:57:32

I both thank and curse you Doug. Every post about how good the Denafrip DACs are makes it harder and harder for me to resist ordering one.

I am curious about the "DSD decoder" you got on ebay. Mind sharing a link? For the last few years I've been using a Sony Bluray player to rip DSD files from my SACDs but it is a bit of a production and I'm always looking for something better. FYI/FWIW what I do is outline in these fora:

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/28569-sacd-ripping-using-an-oppo-or-pio...

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #61 - 03/12/21 at 01:13:53

See, I speak the truth!

I'm thinking about moving up the food chain in the Denafrips line.
Maybe if old Uncle Sam sends me some money....

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 03/12/21 at 01:25:36

Doug,
I ordered my Pontus almost two weeks ago and hope to get it by end of this month.  I have a bluesound node 2i that I plan on using for network streaming initially but I am also going to give the raspberry pi method of network streaming a try also. Let us know if come up with any other ideas!
Bob

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 03/12/21 at 02:14:54

Doug,

Have you tried the phase switch button yet? On my Pontus, the default setting was actually inverse phase. I accidentally found it out when I was trying to hear the differences between NOS and OS and accidentally hit the phase button rather than the OS button. I was surprised how much better it sounded when in proper phase.

It is in positive phase when the light is on.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 03/12/21 at 04:18:08

Here’s the link to the very recent Audiophile Style DSD decoder article.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/at-long-last-listen-to-your-physical-sacd...
s-through-an-outboard-dac-r971/

After having read this article I asked Alvin if he was aware of any DSD IIS decoders, and he referred me to this same article, though he was careful not to give 100% endorsement of these inexpensive devices.

Regarding the phase switch, I had it in “negative” (inverse) phase the first full day of burn in and kept saying to myself, Hmmmm, I sure hope the bass comes to life.  Guess I should have read the owners manual prior to playing music!

And speaking of the NOS/OS option, so far I much prefer the NOS (non-oversampling) mode on every single recording I’ve played.  

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 03/12/21 at 04:23:39

Well, I just clicked on the link above and it didn’t work.  Here’s the actual name of the article in Audiophile Style.....

At Long Last! Listen To Your (Physical) SACDs Through an Outboard DAC

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #66 - 03/12/21 at 05:02:10

Thanks Doug! Very interesting indeed.

IP Logged
thethanimal

Reply #67 - 03/12/21 at 14:32:32

I have the Bluesound Node 2i connected directly to my SE84UFO using Steve’s DAG interconnects. Most of the time I use variable output on the Node for the convenience of remote volume control (using the Bluesound remote, my iPhone, iPad, my wife using her iPhone, or any guest using Airplay or Bluetooth) especially when watching TV. The TOSLINK output from the TV is so much lower in gain we have to crank the Node/Zen volume — just have to remember to turn it down before going back to streaming music.

As Steve noted above, with the higher gain from running the Node in fixed output I do notice an increase in sound quality, but I have to remember to turn the sub off before I do that! It’s run off the Node’s sub output, so running fixed shakes the house, clips the sub, and reduces my toddler to tears before I can get it turned off. Thinking of replacing that sub with a REL or two using the high level connection, but I take forever to make decisions. In the meantime fixed output is only for my solo listening sessions when I don’t want the sub.

I know Steve and others here love their Cambridge CXN, and the NAD C658 is probably another great choice for integrated streaming, DAC, and preamp options, but at less than half the price I don’t know of anything that competes with the Node. I can hear Murray Perahia breathe during his performance of Beethoven’s piano sonatas.  That’s a level of resolution I never had previously. What does another $1,000 get me? Being able to tell which nostril he’s breathing through?

That’s really a joke, because I’d love to try a Denafrips to hear the difference, and a ~$1,000 turntable/phono preamp combo to see how much I’m giving up to vinyl.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 03/12/21 at 15:58:36

I also love the bluesound node 2i on my current setup (non Decware).  But that is only my frame of reference for a DAC.  I should be able to do an a/b comparison b/w the node and the pontus and can let you know.
Bob

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 03/14/21 at 02:38:54

Well, the Oppo died.  Bummer.  Still, hesitant to make a move before I receive the Mystery Amp.   Bigger bummer..... I think I've moved up maybe 52 spots on the wait list since Feb 2nd.  Not complaining.  Just stating reality.  350ish out of 400 plus.   So guessing I'm about 8 months out.  Still weighing everyone's thoughts/opinions.  Also accepting cash gifts.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 03/14/21 at 03:15:13

Sorry to hear your Oppo died! But maybe a blessing of sorts, pushing your front end research and move forward! Seems since your ZMA is so far out, might as well get a nice front end and by the time your amp shows, you will totally know your front end, and thus what the ZMA does in the system. I hope the donations offered will be appropriate for the front end you want!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #71 - 03/14/21 at 04:39:20

Maybe you can revive the Oppo.  What’s the issue with it?  If it’s the laser...then just pop in a new one.  It may be the best $40 bucks you ever spend.  Here is the link to a replacement....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OPTICAL-LASER-LENS-PICKUP-for-OPPO-BDP-105D-Blu-ray...

Oppo’s are great players....it would be a shame to junk it without trying to fix it.

Dom

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 03/14/21 at 06:31:31

A couple years ago my OPPO player crapped out and OPPO fixed it.  Very reasonable.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 03/14/21 at 18:09:45

Researching repair options.  It's not the laser, it's the streaming function. Guessing it is software related.  Although OPPO has stated otherwise in terms of offering support, they haven't offered an update to the firmware in quite some time.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 03/14/21 at 18:55:46

I didn't realize Oppo was still doing service. Nice. I would think it could be hardware too, the streaming coming in on a different dedicated circuit than the CD transport, ie, USB or ethernet, or whatever. Also I wonder if it is relevant to try reinstalling the current firmware???

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 03/14/21 at 19:05:28

Yeah, tried that several times.  No go.  Been looking for an active support no to call.  Still looking.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #76 - 03/14/21 at 23:30:28

I suppose you tried this; I know this worked for a friend of mine a year ago.

https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 03/15/21 at 05:36:14

Thanks for the info Lon.  And no, I have not tried the no yet.  Stopped working Sat. AM.  Plan on calling ASAP Monday.  Thought of you.  You're pretty high on the PS Audio Direct Steaming DAC right?  Noticed there are a couple on Audiogon.  A bit steep in terms of my price range.  Bigger issue is if I bought the PS Audio, I would want the bridge.  That's even more $.  My wife says she sees my wheels turning.  More like grinding.  Time will tell.

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 03/17/21 at 22:01:26

I hate replying to myself.  I did send a message via Lon's link and also called the support number that came with my player's documentation.  No go so far.  As I was already thinking about upgrading, maybe this isn't such a bad thing.  TIf I can get it repaired, there does seem to be a used market for used market for Oppo players.  Knowing this doesn't help the choosing process.  But hey, maybe that's half the fun.  In the meantime, I'll hang out and see if they respond.

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 03/20/21 at 17:11:34

The response from OPPO ended up being via email..... a long drawn out back and forth few hours of email.  In the end, the tech said there was essentially no fix on my end.  Guess it's time to weigh my options.  Since I was thinking about upgrading anyway, perhaps NOW is the time.  I have used the time to read, research and re-read.  For my situation, I'm liking Steve's suggestion of the Cambridge player.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 03/20/21 at 19:09:34

The Cambridge CXN V2 is solid, easy to set up and very user friendly with streaming services. If you ever want to upgrade it, check out the tube modifications offered by ModWright. Several folks, including me have taken the plunge. Check out the comments posted in the forum.

HK

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 03/20/21 at 19:21:22

Yeah, I was really interested in Steve's thoughts; and the ModWright upgrade might be the thing that takes me over the edge.  Wish I could hear it before and after first though.

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 03/21/21 at 04:13:55

HK, do you have any pics of the modded unit you can share?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 03/21/21 at 08:15:34

Here's a link to pictures and additional information on the modifications: pictures on page 3 and 4.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=169517.40

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 03/21/21 at 08:20:05

Rack picture w/ modded CXN V2.

PXL_20210211_131001411_compress96_001.jpg

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #85 - 03/22/21 at 04:13:49

Smiley I have no doubt that was money well spent.  I can already hear what it sounds like based on knowing how the stock unit sounds and having researched Dan's mods.  Power supplies are almost everything... but when you do get into the analogue output section I will say I've never seen an Opamp that I liked better than a good SET tube stage without feedback.  Congratulations, I bet it sounds wonderful.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #86 - 04/18/21 at 20:21:45

I just wanted to update this thread. I held out as long as I could but I too succumbed to the siren song of Denafrips. I ordered a Terminator, should be here in 6 weeks or so.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 04/18/21 at 21:02:16

Nice! I have been close to buying a Holo DAC pretty much since they first came on the scene, and even more so, since the May version emerged. But then I listen, and my front end conglomeration is so natural, complete, and real sounding I stay put. And like you, the Denefrips buzz got me as well, so I have been looking into them for a while too. But the Terminator and May are just so much money, and my system is so sweet as it is, I fear risking it....so I am feeling a little closer, but also stuck.

Especially since the May came out, I have been more seriously researching both the May and Terminator.... closer than ever to feeling like going for one. One trouble is, I have been working so long on fine detail and space — from the primary note harmonics and textures, to the progression from the note edges to the furthest out decay trails, all present in natural and complex ways, I am used to getting this and "need" it. This fine detail information just makes it all real to me, and I know many DACs don't get it as fully as I seem to need. So I get concerned that even though the ladder DAC system is designed to be good at this subtle musical information....there are all the other things.... parts choices, power supply, wires, output section method and parts, separation of noisy parts, connectors etc.... all influencing the DAC sound along with different ways of processing digital data.

So I get buffaloed.

The most recent concern for me, is that before Steve's initial comments on the May, most reviews I have heard have a coldish technical way of describing it.... not much insight into how the DAC effects how we feel. Maybe I just haven't found the right ones, but most appreciate the DAC in a big way, yet I don't hear the "love," or "awe." So I was really glad to hear that from Steve. Whereas, I seem to have heard more reviewers express an affection for the Terminator along with the technical information. My gut says go for the May..... or is it the Terminator?!@#$% or is the May$%^

Anyway, being sort of stuck, I am really glad you and Steve aren't, and glad we will be hearing more about these clearly exceptional DACs on this forum! You are in for some fun no doubt!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #88 - 04/18/21 at 22:45:08

I hear you Will, that is exactly what I've been going through for the last few months. My front end sounds really good too, and it is a lot of money, but not nearly as much as I have invested in music and finally a couple days ago everything just came together and the the light went on and I ordered a Terminator. A big part of it is since I got my Decware amps I kinda feel like I'm cheating myself without a really high end DAC.

Regardless, I look forward to sharing my experience when it arrives.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 04/19/21 at 01:39:23

Yes, I am looking forward to your Terminator impressions! And I agree, they are a lot of money, but with Chinese developers steadily pulling out ahead of the curve, and doing it so inexpensively (relatively), your DAC appears to likely be as good or better than many DACs at twice or more the cost.... so is it expensive for what it is and can do???

For me, DAC modifications (by sound on my now maybe 4 year old DAC) made it perhaps twice as good as stock. And this DAC, developed by innovative young Chinese engineers who obviously listen and know tech, stock, was thought by folks who compared to be better than a the Schitt Yggdrasil and Auralic Vega. So, beyond sounding much better than anything I have tried, I figure its contribution to a "high end" front end is pretty real. Also I feel like everything else is pretty well covered, from power tuning, to computer (2012 Mini all tricked out), to an older/simpler Mac OS with over 200,000 lines of code removed, tuned only for audio by guys with good ears.... to tunable and musical/revealing player software (Pure Music presently)... to in-software EQ for fine-tuning the room... to good value but top notch USB conversion with a modified Singxer SU-1... to a tuned-up ZBIT and CSP3... to extra good sounding cables and quite transparent and neutral sounding vibration management... It seems to be a pretty complete front end.

But more telling perhaps, having done the DAC mods in the earlier amp, pre and speaker modification stages, all through the extensive work I have done to increase resolution, balance, and musicality.... seems the front end has kept up. As the amps and speakers improve in resolution and speed, the DAC just shows more and more of the fragile subtle information that makes it sound and feel like music.... very fine detail and space.... textures and all harmonic information from note harmonics into note edges, and seamlessly riding through to the end of complex decay trails... distinctly hearing complexity of timbre and decays of individual instruments and voices. So it seems this more complete wide-range resolution from the system would not be possible after a point if the front end did not have all the fine/nuanced information for the system to convey... finally awe inspiring musical complexity.

But that does not mean it couldn't be better with a better DAC!

As I reach new levels of beauty, it always amazes me, no matter how engulfing and magical, so far there is always more available with care and effort.

So I really do look forward to hearing more from Steve on the May, and from you on the Terminator as you get to know your beautiful new music makers! I appreciate your going there!

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #90 - 04/20/21 at 15:38:16

I have ordered a cxn v2, and have read with great curiosity your comments about upgrades.  I am in line to receive UFO2 and wonder if I should request XLR connection as Cambridge has that option.  Do you know the cost or guide me as to how I can answer that question? Thanks.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #91 - 04/20/21 at 16:01:59

Tony, I'm not sure that this is what you are asking about, but from the shopping cart the option to add one XLR input is:

Transformer Balanced XLR inputs for 1 source - adds $649

To be honest I personally would go for the power supply bypass option as better-sounding if you haven't already. I use a ZBIT and I get my best sound in between what would be the output of the single-ended and the full balanced output and actually would prefer to have the output of the single-ended into the amp rather than the full, un-attenuated output of the balanced section of my source, and my source only outputs less than 4 volts in balanced. But. . . a CXN users input would likely be more valuable than mine. I think a ZBIT might yield better sonic results than an XLR input itself, but I have no CXN experience.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #92 - 04/20/21 at 21:09:54

Thanks for the assistance.  Much appreciated.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 04/25/21 at 13:36:43

I received my Denafrips Pontus on the 4/14.  I have my bluesound node 2i connected using a bluejeans coax cable to stream Spotify and Tidal.  Denafrips and bluesound to amp using DSR ICs.  BJC cable still burning in, I think.  For now, to my ears just a subtle improvement with the Denafrips.  I also have an Ipad pro hooked up to the Pontus using a USB camera adapter and an Ice Age USB (which is also burning in).  Right off the bat, the USB connection, in my ears, was a significant improvement over the bluesound connection!  I did not expect the Ipad to sound so good.  I also discovered that you can remotely change the music remotely with my phone.  That was an added plus.  I would like to try other coax cables.  I would appreciate any recommendations on other coax cables.  Bottom line....I love my Denafrip Pontus from the get go!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 04/25/21 at 14:15:36

Kulafu, I don't have a suggestion for coax, I would suggest trying an optical cable between your Bluenode and the Pontus. When I was using a bluenode my favorite connection to DAC was optical.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #95 - 04/25/21 at 17:20:39

Quote:
Posted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 14:15:36
Kulafu, I don't have a suggestion for coax, I would suggest trying an optical cable between your Bluenode and the Pontus. When I was using a bluenode my favorite connection to DAC was optical.

That's interesting, because optical is (by far) the worst way to do S/PDIF. I guess the exception would be if you are getting a lot of EMI from e.g. your TV or computer. But in general you get better sound from coax.

How long is your cable kalafu? It is possible if the cable is too short it won't work properly. I got fine results with a 4' Amazon basic cable, but now I'm using a 3' silver cable from www.signalcable.com, and it might be a little better still.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 04/25/21 at 19:00:53

CAJames,
The BJC is a 3ft cable.  I appreciate your recommendation.  Thanks.
Bob (Kulafu)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 04/25/21 at 19:31:20

It's been a long time ago, but as I recall, like GS, I am pretty sure I ended up preferring a glass Toslink cable over the SDIF coax cables I tried between a V-Link and the original Decware ZDAC. I think I recall it being more nuanced and transparent. Guessing it is not cut and dried, different receivers and component implementations influencing connections. And unfortunately, this was maybe 10-12 years ago so vague, but I recall wanting to try the Blue  Jeans coax in that process, wanting to check out if their sales rag was real to me, and I found that coax cable sounded pretty bad compared to others I was trying. Sorry, I can't recall what they were, but cables have developed a lot since anyway.....

Having been using USB and I2S, and no coax for years, I can't advise on that except to say I personally have never heard any cables, power, analog and digital ICs, or speaker that sounded the same, and some digital cables are much better for transparent audio to me.

I read that Steve has been experimenting with Coax between the Cambridge and Holo DAC, probably in his digital journey thread, and preferred one, though without naming it... Might still be testing, but you may be able to get some help there? And there are bound to be some informative Coax threads on Audiogon, AudioCircle and whatever they are calling computer audiophile now.

Guess I am just suggesting trusting your ears on this one, not tech specs, and maybe continue to do research toward seeking out a better solution with that in mind.

Good luck in optimizing your new DAC! I look forward to impressions as it comes together and burns in.

Will

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #98 - 04/25/21 at 20:51:36

I've had really good results with glass optical as well (Lifatec) and use that in two systems. Having no metal is an interesting phenomenum and can be a bit unsettling but I've learned to often prefer the sound. One other advantage besides reducing EMI/RFI possibilities is the "hum-free" nature of the optical transfer.

The coaxial cable that I do use in one system is not cheap so I hesitate to recommend it but really do like it--it's a Take Five Audio Deluxe, which is a Neotech cable with great connectors and cryo'd.

https://www.takefiveaudio.com/products/1124-neotech-nevd-2001-deluxe-digital-cab...

I've also enjoyed a Creative Audio Solutions "Black Knight" cable in the past which had a big bang for the buck, but it is no longer available. In AES/EBU the Van DeHul is excellent.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 04/25/21 at 21:29:22

Thank you Will and Lon.  I did Steve's Digital Journey and noted what Coax cables he was using.  I am really liking the USB input to the Pontus.  I do have a PI2AES coming so I will just wait for it to try multiple output options.
Bob

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #100 - 04/25/21 at 21:46:25

I guess it just goes to show there are no absolutes in audio. I've never heard Toslink sound as good as coax, including in my current system, but most of my digital cabling auditioning was decades ago when I lived near a lot high end audio stores. For most of my audio life I've been a single player guy, exactly because I didn't want to deal with jitter and cables and its only been in the last couple years that I've gone the coax/USB/DAC route.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #101 - 04/25/21 at 23:07:07

I honestly think it's system dependent, that's why I think the advice above to try different types and decide with one's ears is sound advice.

Some components may have better optical transmitters and receivers than others, and some cables of all types are better than others. I find it hard to believe the quality differences I find in HDMI cables for instance, but they are there both for video and audio in my systems. Same for varying quality of coaxial and optical and AES/EBU. In my experience coaxial can be most prone to external noise and ground issues than any of the other formats.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #102 - 04/26/21 at 00:15:08

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Yesterday at 23:07:07

...In my experience coaxial can be most prone to external noise and ground issues than any of the other formats.

That is certainly true.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print