Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 20:44:49 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Help Choosing a DAC that Pairs Well with Zen Triod (Read 13548 times)
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Help Choosing a DAC that Pairs Well with Zen Triod
Reply #100 - 04/25/21 at 21:46:25

I guess it just goes to show there are no absolutes in audio. I've never heard Toslink sound as good as coax, including in my current system, but most of my digital cabling auditioning was decades ago when I lived near a lot high end audio stores. For most of my audio life I've been a single player guy, exactly because I didn't want to deal with jitter and cables and its only been in the last couple years that I've gone the coax/USB/DAC route.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #101 - 04/25/21 at 23:07:07

I honestly think it's system dependent, that's why I think the advice above to try different types and decide with one's ears is sound advice.

Some components may have better optical transmitters and receivers than others, and some cables of all types are better than others. I find it hard to believe the quality differences I find in HDMI cables for instance, but they are there both for video and audio in my systems. Same for varying quality of coaxial and optical and AES/EBU. In my experience coaxial can be most prone to external noise and ground issues than any of the other formats.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #102 - 04/26/21 at 00:15:08

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Yesterday at 23:07:07

...In my experience coaxial can be most prone to external noise and ground issues than any of the other formats.

That is certainly true.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print