Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 02:52:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
If cost wasn't an issue? (Read 1855 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

If cost wasn't an issue?
02/09/21 at 22:14:54

So if you had stupid money, what would you have for a stereo?

I'm thinking that I would hire Steve to build me a bespoke stereo.
Just to see what he could come up with without limitations.
If something needed to be made, well, have it made.

And it would be red.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Re: If cost wasn't an issue?
Reply #1 - 02/09/21 at 22:26:12

I'd keep what I have, as I'm extremely happy with my system and consider at least the preamp/amp/zbit/zR2 an end game.

With the stupid money, I'd and put it all in: [1] Gold, as a financial foundation when the Great Reset occurs, and [2] Silver, for buying and trading when said SHTF occurs.

IP Logged
Rob7
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/09/21 at 23:29:53

Killer tube amp set up from decware with multiple speakers to rotate through including the new Li 10 silvers. For contrast the new techniques GAN amplifier driving some 800D3s and a custom dedicated music room!  If you’re going to dream, dream big!

IP Logged
DanG
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 02/10/21 at 01:16:23

If money were no object I think I'd spring for the SE84UFO25 with all the options, and Steve's recommendation for the best speakers to pair with that amp and my room (but I listen near-field).

I have the SE84UFO and the Betsy's, so I'm sorta half-way there. And I've actually hit a good spot right now, everything sounds good. Smiley

Well Tempered Lab Amadeus MK2 Turntable, Stereo & Mono carts, ZP3, SE84UFO, Lii Song Origin S-10, Audio Note CD1.1x
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 02/10/21 at 01:46:53

Honestly I have the equipment I want to have for the most part. To really do better I would need to be able to have a better room for my best system. Not likely to happen in the near or not-so-near future unless there really WERE a lot of money to throw at building more space on our property. Something that isn't going to be able to happen for some time when I do inherit some money. And I don't want what will have to happen for that to happen to actually every happen!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rob7
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/10/21 at 02:05:02

...or

something designed from the ground up similar to the LX521 Linkwitz Lab Open Baffle 4-Way design with every driver having its own Decware amplifier.  SE for the mids and highs push pull for lower.  Each amp being fed by its own R2R dac  each in turn receiving their signals from advance DSP crossover tuned specifically for the system and the room.  I’d pay an admittance fee to hear such! Steve?  :)

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 02/10/21 at 02:45:57

My first thought was I'd rather spend the money on music....

But if I had the money I'd do the following:

Swap out my UFOs for for a pair of UFO25s

Buy the maxed out dCS Vivaldi Stack

Buy the crazy expensive rectifiers you guys always talk about (you know who you are)

Get the top of the line Koetsu cartridge.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #7 - 02/10/21 at 04:49:25

I’m gonna go a bit rogue here...I would have Steve custom build for me a bespoke all tube car radio stereo system.  This something that is not seen in the auto industry.  I can imagine if it ever came to fruition, it would be killer.  

Now...to daydream a bit...with all this extra money....I want my Bentley Ghost or Mercedes Maybach to sport the one of a kind tube radio so that way I can enjoy phenomenal music and gaze at the glowing tubes in the backseat while my driver Jeeves heads up the cockpit.  

Oh wait.... I forgot to add in my car a young exotic babysitter that doubles as a side hostess,  a large boat of sushi, Beluga Caviar with crackers, Dom Perignon champagne, along with my wife and daughter as we drive up through the foothills of Italy on our way to our new Villa.  

Ok...now back to work and reality.  Thanks Donnie for making me daydream for bit.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/10/21 at 10:32:25

OK I'll bite and blow some money on an excavator.  Start digging deep forming an arched horn with the throat starting at one end of the trenched hole transversing back forming the mouth. Fill in part of the trench forming a listening chamber with the mouth of the horn at the back floor/wall. Place current speakers on the throat and dive deep into system upgrades/room treatments.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
dvl

Reply #9 - 02/10/21 at 20:46:53

i like this game.

If money was no object, i'd build a room first. It would have dedicated lines, probably soundproof so i could play music at any volume without bothering anyone else, and be as close to acoustically perfect as i could get it.

Then i'd get two SE84UFO25 amps, rotate speakers through the system so i'd have a different flavor every month or so. Probably get a VPI Direct Drive turntable, or that 60k table i think Fremer has, again rotate cartridges through every few months, just to hear all the different options.

If money wasn't a concern, why would you stop at one spot with all this stuff? It would be so much fun to just play in that expensive sandbox.

David

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/10/21 at 23:09:48

First part would be a better room.  Actually two rooms.  A smaller room that would be ideal for small speakers and/or small amps.  Another room that could take pretty much anything at any size.  Between them would be my warehouse where I could have my gear library.  And it goes without saying a dedicated home theater, too.

Gear-wise, I would certainly want a 'statement' system, like the big Sonus Fabers with a 6-stack of RELs and the option to switch between a 'limitless' SS monster amp and a huge tube amp.

Then, it would be a collection of things like BBC monitors, full-range drivers, Klipsch, electrostats, and all manner of tube, SS amps and gear.

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/10/21 at 23:51:28

Hmmm....... A dangerous game.  I tend to try to figure out ways to come up with what I dream about.  I'd start with the addition of a dedicated sound proofed and treated listening room.  Sound proof so I don't hear anyone saying "turn it down".  

As for components.... I just ordered a Mystery Amp.  Oh, and I know this is cost no object, but hey, I'd dream to get bumped to the head of the build list. Wink  

And then there's the speakers.  (Probably my weak spot.)  Just for the fun of it,  I'd love to have several different pairs hanging around to switch in and out.  A pair of the Lii Audio's, and a pair of the DECWARE model ZF15L's to go with my HR-1's.  Oh and I'll take a pair of Steve's Cost No Object Nine Footers he drew up in the alternate thread.

I'd also like to try an Ayon CD-T II – Tube Audio CD transport.  I've also been peeking at a new DAC.  Right now I'm using an OPPO 105D as CD player with the DAC and also as a streaming device.

I'm beginning to drool.  So, I'll stop for now.

Jim

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
Vooraphile
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 02/20/21 at 00:17:51

Room...but what would be the ideal size.? 20 x 12?

Oppo UDP205-jb or Planar 3
Teac NT505 to ZBit
CSP3-25 to SE84UFO25
DSG. DSRII. DHC-1. ZSTYX.
Triangle Quartet 92dB
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 02/20/21 at 03:44:13

Quote:
I’m gonna go a bit rogue here...I would have Steve custom build for me a bespoke all tube car radio stereo system.  This something that is not seen in the auto industry.  I can imagine if it ever came to fruition, it would be killer.  

It would be fun to take a car apart and re-weld it into an all tube acoustic masterpiece... especially in this day an age when I assume car audio is still somewhat lost on bling and SPL. Hearing something like that would wake the woke. And of course that makes me yearn for that insane drive I had in my 30's!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #14 - 02/20/21 at 03:46:41

Quote:
Sound proof so I don't hear anyone saying "turn it down".

Priceless.

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 02/20/21 at 13:30:06

There are tube amps for cars out here.

Butler Audio made some a few years ago, but their website says that they are "retooling" them now.

https://butleraudio.com/car.php

The car audio world is strange to me, everything is about how many watts you can pump into your subwoofers. Boom boom boom is all you hear.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #16 - 02/22/21 at 03:24:39

The problem with automotive acoustics is two fold... the noise floor is tilted heavily towards low frequencies, perhaps 10dB or in some cases 20dB higher than in your room. Back in the 1970's it was more like 40dB.  The other issue is that the car is small, so you are having to create bass frequencies from a rather small box that is inside a large box, the car.  You have to create 20dB more bass in the car than you do in your room just to sound and measure FLAT when the car is moving.

I put a Zen Triode amp in my Monte Carlo once.  A pair of 12 inch full-range drivers were used, similar to the Lii Audio F12, around 98dB efficient.  It sounded great.  As soon as you started the car, it was over.  God forbid you want to drive the car too... and if you want to drive with the windows down, you can turn the stereo on and off without hearing anything happen.

Yes, today's cars are better, but there is a serious heat issue with tube gear.  To properly install anything larger than a zen amp (72 watts of dissipation) in a trunk would require liquid cooling with an external heat exchanger under the car.  This is why you don't see any tube amps for cars.

Just to use a tube amp even like the ZMA in a car, you can't use car audio speakers because they're all low efficiency.  You see in car audio, the 82dB woofer with a 6 mm air gap and 4 layer coil that handles/needs 400 watts to play reasonably loud, is what sells.  Big sign - "500WATTS" - above the speakers.  The 96dB woofer with a 1.5 mm air gap and 2 layer coil that handles 40 watts will actually play louder.  But who will buy a woofer that says "40WATTS".  Sad really.

So you see to do it right, you need non-caraudio drivers that work in small boxes and liquid cooling.  It's all got to be custom.  For every 3dB of noise floor you eliminate from the car body it is the same thing as doubling your power so before you even begin the stereo install, you disassemble the entire interior of the car, including dash, and triple the factory sound deadening so that 40 class A/B watts sounds like 160 class A/B watts.  But since it's class A/B watts and we're comparing this to car audio watts, it would sound the same as 800 car audio watts.  Then we go from 82dB drivers to 95dB drivers which translates to 12dB more, the 800 car audio watts are doubled 3 more times to 6400 car audio watts.  Don't get too excited because car audio watts are like Styrofoam balls compared to real watts which would be more like lead weights.  Nevertheless you now have a system that will hit harder and get louder than any 12Volt solid state car audio made.  And you'll do it with 40 real watts.

It's way easier to make class N placebo power amplifiers with pulse-width modulated power supplies to create big dry sloppy power that just sounds like shit and pretend it's great which what the car audio industry has focused on as it's main money maker.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #17 - 02/22/21 at 08:44:31

Thanks Steve....so when can you start Smiley?  
My request was due to my yearly road trips with my car club.   I’ve driven my Esprit from NJ to Texas, Indiana, Ohio, Florida, the Carolinas, and many other places.  Having spent tons of hours in the car, the search for a quality sound system has been a long road.   What makes it harder is when you take a turbo car and add a blow off valve, direct ram air intake, modify the waste gate, and add an modified exhaust...you get a car that shoots flames and backfires 🔥 when you lift.  While I love the sound of hearing the engine roar...you can only enjoy that for so long.  Trying to enjoy my favorite music makes it VERY difficult.  I’ve completely modified my entire sound system, and have added some insulation to help and it’s gotten ALOT better. But I know it will never truly be what I want...just closer to a compromise.

Donnie...thanks for the recommendation.  I will definitely give the company a call.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 02/22/21 at 16:17:12

Simple. New ears (that don't ring, scream, growl, distort, ad infinitum).

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/24/21 at 23:41:27

This article has some age on it.  But, I found it interesting.  Especially the initial costs of the radio vs the actual price of the car.  

http://bestride.com/news/entertainment/8-vintage-car-audio-features

J

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print