04/24/24 at 02:44:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Real Zen (Read 5952 times)
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Real Zen
02/04/21 at 23:42:13

There's been something on my mind.  I tend to lurk in the background and read more than comment. I do this across quite a few sites/forums.  One of the things I've noticed is how often a question or topic gets sidelined; and in far too many instances, the conversations not only end up off topic, but many end up becoming down right ugly and insulting towards other forum participants, even guests.  Ugly to the point where I often find myself uncomfortable reading and feeling the tension or negativity generated.

I titled this note "Real Zen" because I really have not experienced this same negativity on any of the Decware forums I've followed.  In fact, most of what I've read and experienced is quite the opposite. So maybe there is some form of Zen present here.  Seems like most folks are laid back, while at the same time welcoming and genuinely willing to help others with their questions and issues.  Whether a seasoned old timer, or a newbie seeking enlightenment, I just haven't seen any of the acidic sniping, or what sometimes appears as petty jealousy that I've witnessed on some other forums.  

For what it's worth, the general attitude I see by members here is just different.  To this point, the people I've met here are both genuine and passionate.  I find myself believing they actually care.  I get the same impression from Steve's writings, videos, and the two conversations I've had with him.  This has been true with everyone else involved with Decware that I have dealt with.

The point is this.  I feel sure.... Or, I genuinely believe it is possible for one, two or a few people and the passion they exhibit for their work to positively influence the lives of others, to bring positive change; perhaps even infecting others to become agents of change.  

I'm willing to bet that many of you may feel like me. Yes, I love this hobby. Yes, many of us may even be chasing something we'll never find in a new amp, line stage or speakers.  But, what if we find something more?

For me, music is that which soothes my soul.  It's how a lot of us de-stress.  I believe Steve gets this; certainly for himself, but also for us.  Today like many other days, I find myself being thankful for many things.  One of those things is the joy of music.  Another is the circle of friends music has brought into my life over the last fifty plus years.

So here's a great big thanks to Steve, and all the Decware folks for the community they've built.  And thanks to you, my fellow passionate zen chasing friends for your knowledge and willingness to share of your experiences.

Cheers!

Jim

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Real Zen
Reply #1 - 02/05/21 at 02:24:18

Nice post Jim.

I don't tend to hang out anywhere else, but I have noticed some of the rudeness and mean spirit you point to when stumbling onto some other forums while researching something.

And like you, I think this forum is special, starting with a love of amazing musical experience in our homes. And thanks to Steve's depth of discovery to help us get there, with gear that stimulates all of our creative explorations and musical enjoyment, Decware supports a community that takes it and runs with it.

Another thing that probably helps keep this forum lively and supportive, I guess that when most people are civil, friendly, and helpful, others coming on tend to enjoy and support that. And if someone gets off track, maybe overzealous with outdated audio ideology, or by bringing some of the meanness of pop culture in here, seems a number of us tend to try to gently coax them toward a more open frame of mind, and hopefully into respecting what makes this forum special.

Also I think a lot of folks coming into this community are like us. Especially since so many people have become so habitually angry and belligerent in this country, and that naturally bleeds into audio forums.... Finding this humane and helpful forum seems to be a relief worth supporting.

Anyway, I also enjoy and respect this forum of good hearted and dedicated home audio lovers!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
gsanger
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/05/21 at 02:25:24

Fellow lurker here, and I agree with everything you said.  Everyone here is friendly, and a great many are knowledgeable, too.  I rather like seeing the “10 most recent posts”, even if it’s just to see what Lon or Geno have been listening to lately.

Decware has really created a culture, much greater than just a handful of great products.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/05/21 at 17:09:36

I would say a lot has to do with this being a company/manufacturers forum vs. a general audio forum.
Most forums I'm familiar with fewer members = fewer problems.
Pot stirrers need a larger audience.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/05/21 at 19:59:58

There probably is a combination of things going on. As mentioned being a Manufacturer site is one, the overall vibe Steve has created is another.  Tube lovers in general seem to be more mellow (older??).

It’s the only forum I regularly participate in.  Facebook groups are the worst.  I occasionally allow myself to get sucked into an argument there.  

There is occasionally some member policing that happens here every once in a while.  It’s just a good, safe place to ask a question or share your experience.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/05/21 at 21:28:07

Another thought, many meet at Decfest so you don't have assured anonymity to be an ass.   Grin

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 02/05/21 at 21:56:16

That is why when I go to Decfest I only stay 10 minutes.

That way no one actually knows what I look like.

I was going to say "Who was that masked man"? But that doesn't work anymore.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/05/21 at 22:12:40

I think next year I am going to put the name Donnie on my name badge.  Liven things up a bit.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 02/06/21 at 02:01:08

Donnie, we hate to break it to ya... but with that big thing on your head you're pretty easy to recognize at the party.

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #9 - 02/06/21 at 02:10:32

I don't mean to hijack this thread any more than I normally do but I found out what all of these strange listening devices that I use for my Avatar are.

In the early days of aircraft they used these devices to listen for aircraft as a early warning devices. Kind of like radar but with sound.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/aircraft-detection-radar-1917-1940/

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/06/21 at 04:34:31

Thanks Donnie.  Showed that to my wife, who I swear is losing her hearing.  Told her I was gonna build her a set.  She wasn't amused.  Might need that He-Shed Randy shared pics of sooner rather than later.

Jim

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 02/06/21 at 04:59:31

Go ahead and make it a two story he-shed, you'll be glad you did.

WWW   IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/06/21 at 16:50:28

Steve, I'm taking your wisdom under advisement.   Undecided  

And.... while I'm at it, another thing I've noted that is done well on here is the knowledge and information shared by members.  I started to write this earlier in the week, but I kept thinking on it.  

While researching which amp I was gonna buy, or heck, when I buy anything now days, I tend to over research the topic or idea.  I have found the information gleaned can be invaluable.  The thing that strikes me is that on many other forums, you get folks expounding the virtue of this component or that component.  That's okay.  But when pressed, you learn they don't own it, or they've never even heard it.

I might be wrong, but it seems like in the Decware forums there is a great likelihood that the person making the comment or comments has actually heard or owns that piece of equipment.  Big difference.

And finally, I'll stop with this.  Many of the people on here have never met in person.  And yet, there is a sense of genuine friendship.  And it seems like there is always a good dose of humor available.

Anyway, have a great remainder of your Saturday.

Jim    

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print