Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 02:35:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
H/T and 2 Channel Question (Read 2779 times)
JohnnyB

H/T and 2 Channel Question
01/29/21 at 16:43:17

Hi all, hoping that someone else has run into this issue while trying to have their H/T and 2 channel listening in the same space.  How can you have your 2 channel main rig speakers pull double duty as Fronts in your H/T when currently they are both separate systems from each other.  We are getting a new TV and the wife asked if I can "neaten things up because there's a lot going on" in the bonus room.  Here's the situation:  I have sources gong to a CSP3 and then to SE84UFO2 or LTA ZOTL10 amp then to Omega Super Alnico High Output monitors for my 2 channel listening.  For H/T I have A NAD T755 for processing the signal(s) then to an external 5 channel amp via NAD T755 pre-outs then to Mirage OM-6 speakers for Fronts and Klipsh for Center and Surrounds.  Ideally I would like to keep this setup as the Mirages have built in subs and they are amazing for H/T, but with 2 sets of "front" speakers, GIK bass traps in the corners and GIK panels on the front wall it looks quite cluttered.  I would love to use the Omegas for both the H/T fronts and add a sub as well as for my 2 channel listening.  To make it more complicated the H/T equipment is in a rack in the front left corner with HDMI cables, etc. running in the wall to the back of the TV mount in the center of the wall and my 2 channel rig is under the TV in a different rack!!!  My head is about to explode trying to figure this out.  I'm pretty sure I can't just run both the front speaker cables from the H/T amp and the speaker cables from the SE84UFO2 to the Omegas via spades and bananas.  I think that will end bad at some point.  Open to any and all suggestions.  I might try to hide the Mirages in the corners in front of the bass traps since they are both black  ;D Grin Grin Grin      

IP Logged
JohnnyB

Re: H/T and 2 Channel Question
Reply #1 - 02/07/21 at 02:03:01

Ok.  Thanks for all the help!!  No problem, I’m smart enough to figure it out on my own and I guess smarter than everyone here.  I guess I will just insist on having my own room when I retire in 15 years to have 2 completely separate systems to enjoy!! Until then I guess I will wait for 1k views and maybe a reply.   Angry

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #2 - 02/07/21 at 02:49:53

Johnny,
The only problem you will need to solve is the speaker connections.  You should not connect your speakers to two separate amps.  

1) You could use bananas for both speaker cable runs and swap them at the speaker connections depending on when you listen to HT or 2-channel

2) Use a speaker switch box.  I looked into this a few years ago and came to the conclusion that I would be sacrificing sound quality by connecting my wonderful cables and equipment to this crappy switch.  Something may have emerged over the last few years that is audiophile quality, but I doubt it.  Worth a look nonetheless.  

There are really no other options that come to my mind.  I used to have to pull double duty, but my solution was this:

Oppo UDP-205 (played DVD/Blu-Ray and processed surround sound from sources like cable box, Roku) pre-outs

to

Decware Ultra Pre-amp (key component to make all of this work) then connects to the following amps:

• Decware Rachel (center channel)

• Decware Zen Triode (Rears)

• Decware ZMA (Fronts)

• REL powered subwoofer

The key here is the Decware Ultra 6 channel preamp which was designed to do exactly what you want to do.  You can connect your NAD and a Blu-Ray player to the Ultra, as well as other sources that are controlled by the input switch on the Ultra.  This way you have one amplifier connected to your front main speakers that can pull double duty (2-channel and HT) without the hassle of two speaker cable sets and having to switch the connections every time.  Steve can "mod" the Ultra with caps that would favor 2-channel as opposed to stock, which favors digital sources that need some "help."

You can have an all-tube 2-channel AND HT amplification system.  That is what I did and the sound was UNBELIEVABLE for both 2 channel and HT listening.  

However, it will require some gear changes.  The Ultra would replace the CSP3.  You would need to get rid of your 5-channel amp and purchase two amps to power your center channel and rears.  Or, use the 5-channel for your rears and just buy one additional amp for your center channel.

Hopefully this helps.  May not be ideal for what you were looking to do, but I lived and breathed your very situation and from a SQ perspective, you cannot do better than this configuration with the Ultra at the heart of the system.  

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
JohnnyB

Reply #3 - 02/07/21 at 16:56:10

Thanks Jeff!!!  I had a bad day yesterday and didn't mean to take it out on anyone on this forum.  Other forums?  Perhaps!!!  Where people deserve it but everyone here is always friendly and helpful.  I did look into a switch box and came to the same conclusion about SQ and way better equipment stooping to it's level.  I guess it's time to think about culling a few items and saving up for a Decware Ultra  :).  Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!!

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/04/22 at 01:28:12

I wasn't here in 2021 but have a good understanding of ways to use one set of speakers as a 2 channel system (primary) and the front pair of an HT system.  Simple but can be challenging to make it work. If you are still working on this I'd be glad to help.  --Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print