Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mundorf Supreme! (Read 6162 times)
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Re: Mundorf Supreme!
Reply #50 - 03/16/21 at 21:00:07

Geno,

Just got CSP3 back with the A-mods/Miflex Caps.  (All the caps are now Miflex in the CSP3). The difference is HUGE, in every way you that comes to mind.

I'll post more detailed comments once I get 25hours/50hrs respectively.  For now I'll put it this way: I tried to compare the difference pre and post A-mods/Miflex but couldn't.  All I managed to do was close my eyes and just enjoy the music being completely absorbed in what I was hearing and feeling - straight out of the box!

Keep in mind that my comments relate to experiencing the combination of what I have now not just one component. The three components that I'm specifically referring to is:  ZRock2 with A-mods and Mundorf bypass cap, CSP3 A-mod/all Miflex and SE84UFO25 with Type 2 Jupiter Caps.  

This combination is so good that which parts were used where to achieve this end result doesn't matter to me.  What does matter to me is the end result, which has exceeded my expectations, again, and not in any small way.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 03/16/21 at 22:33:18

Congrats! The Anniversary Mods--regardless of cap choice--make a profound difference in the CSP series preamps. Though my CSP3 was born and shipped with the mods (and another modification) the CSP2+ I sent in for the Anniversary mods was really transformed, became a much better preamp and headphone amp. Even before break-in there is much to hear.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #52 - 03/16/21 at 22:50:25

That is awesome, Joman! That may just coax me in to sending mine in.

Congrats and definitely keep us posted on how it sounds going forward.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 03/18/21 at 03:05:10

Day two updates:

I felt that the tubes that were in the output positions might be tired so I reached for a couple of NOS tubes from my stash to replace them.   Initially I put all the tubes back in that were in the CSP3 prior to the A-mods which were: GZ34 Metal Base, Philips E188CC SQ input and a pair of Siemens E88CC Grey Plate.  That way I could compare post mods to pre mods.

I replaced the Siemens with another NOS matched pair Siemens E88CC in the output positions.  This verified that the previous two needed to be retired.  At this point I will confirm what Lon said about the A25 mods making a fundamental difference.  This CSP3 with the A25 mods is an entirely different CSP3.  I don’t think that I can put it any better than he did: “mesmerizingly good”!

Next I replaced one of my DSR interconnects with a pair that I just received that have the Xhadow ends.  Because it was a .5 meter pair I put it between the ZR2 and the CSP3.  Another significant change.  The Siemens tubes that I had just installed had the typical edge of a new tube.  That one IC cable change took it all off and more.  Yes, the new tubes still have to burn in but the difference that DSR/Xhadow made was immediately evident.

For those who have a CSP3 and are wondering whether you should get the A-25 mods, even though this is only day two with mine, I will strongly recommend that you do.  Then give it the best signal that you can and you’ll see just how good these A-25 components are.  

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #54 - 03/18/21 at 03:15:33

After pairing that preamp with a stock SE84UFO for awhile, I was myself a little surprised at the difference it makes.  It was like dropping a different amplifier in there.  One with more weight and more power and better overall sound by a large margin.

This just illustrates that if you follow the gain, you always get the biggest increase.  For example, the input tubes in an amplifier often make a larger difference to the sound than output tubes because they have around 10 times the gain.

I found myself realizing that if given a choice between pairing a stock UFO with an anniversary preamp vs. pairing an anniversary amp with no preamp, the first one is actually going to win most of the time.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 03/20/21 at 00:15:14

I'm losing track of time, I think this is day four and I would completely agree with Steve's comments.  With this modded CSP3 in place the system is turning into a music monster! Unreal timing and dynamics, as for the rest... yes it sounds like I just got a more powerful amp.

When I started acquiring Decware products not all the components were available as they are now.  So looking back I would would recommend the following for anyone getting into Decware:

ZRock2 with all options + CSP3 with all the options.  The CSP3 with the Anniversary mods is a very versatile pre and an absolute killer!  So I would spend as much of my budget as possible on upstream components.  Then a base SE84UFO or another Decware amp of your choice, but it doesn't have to be a loaded amp, that can come later.  

If you ever hear something like the SE84UFO25 at the end of that chain it likely will end up being there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print