Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 01:19:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taking the Plunge into tubes! (Read 2198 times)
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Taking the Plunge into tubes!
01/12/21 at 20:00:37

Non-audio guru here....

Never been around anyone with systems except my older brother, who suggested my first system, (Yamaha 50 watt, Phillips TT, and Heresy 1 (1976). This system stayed with me for 18 years (broke but sincere), then speakers went to little brother and I went 3.1 new baby, etc...
My brother passed 2 years ago and I received his music collection and Heresy 1 (1974), and his Nakamitchi cassette! I am rebuilding the speakers with new components from Crites (lack the midrange as out of stock due to 2021 fiasco). In the last two years, before I found you and tubes, I purchased and currently use;

PS Audio GCDAC and S300 amp, P3 Regenerator, Rega P3 and rega MM phono, Elys cart, Marantz CD 6006 (use DAC on Steller), Node 2i, along with a Syzygy Sub with room correction. The PSAUDIO was through Underwood HIFI as the sub along with Emerald Physics conductor 1 power cords (2), Core power gold PC, Core power silver speaker cables. Have balance connects for AMP and GCD, and entry Audio quest elsewhere. So had to have tubes and ordered the standard UFO last week. I have a 14.6 x 14.10 x 10 (avg lid) slope ceilings flat at top room. With a TV....Special needs adult daughter loves sports... Recommendations to make this new UFO sound as good as I can afford? Am studying room treatments but yikes! Im a construction sales guy no degree so dont' know schitt.....

Thanks, soaking up your site any help appreciated.

Bilyeaux

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Taking the Plunge into tubes!
Reply #1 - 01/13/21 at 01:37:26

Welcome to the family Bilyeaux!

The good news for you is the UFO sounds great out of the box, you don't really need to spend a bunch on upgrades if you don't want to. The one thing I would recommend is looking in the Replacement Tube forum, about 3 threads down from the top about Where to buy NOS rectifiers:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1605822949

Read that, go get a good rectifier, and you'll be set for a while. Of course if you want to do more just keep reading the other threads about about other tube options, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/13/21 at 22:25:26

Thanks for the welcome James! So are you saying the supplied rectifier is not great or you like the NOS better?

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 01/14/21 at 03:54:52

The short answer is some of both. The longer answer, including some really great thoughts from Steve on the subject, is in the thread I linked above.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/14/21 at 14:06:29

Thanks, got it read and understood. Steve makes it understandable!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print