Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:31:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Eddie Vaughn .... looking for some sort of closure (Read 4418 times)
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Eddie Vaughn .... looking for some sort of closure
01/08/21 at 14:30:07

I lost track if my dear friend Eddie Vaughn about 13 years ago and after several attempts over the years I could never make contact with him. I saw an obituary in 2015 for an Eddie Vaughn in Arkansas where he was from. It’s been on my mind for sone time as I recently was able to acquire an original Carina amp he had built as I always wanted one.

Can anyone confirm or deny the obituary I saw?

Thank you

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Eddie Vaughn .... looking for some sort of closure
Reply #1 - 01/08/21 at 14:38:09

Charlie,

I was on the same journey of trying to contact Eddie and came down possibly a similar rabbit hole to land on that obituary.

I hope it's not our friend. I have not learned anything further. . . I too would welcome solid info.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/08/21 at 14:44:23

Thanks Lon.
I know he had more than a few medical issues. We lost touch around 2006 and it was probably my fault due to a divorce I was going through and I took a break from audio briefly. He was a special person to me and we would take for hours on the phone. He was an encyclopedia of knowledge  for me at the time. He was going through sone issues with supply and cost related to his amp building and I heard he got frustrated and took a factory machinist job and was doing well. That was the last I heard.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/08/21 at 14:53:03

Thanks. That is more than I knew previously. You were more of a communicating friend than I was able to be. I do remember fondly some conversations and for a long time I used a personal blend of seasoning he whipped up. What a mind and soul!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/17/21 at 20:04:43

After over 10 years this happened. Someone reached out to me with a Carina. I was very happy until it arrived and it was the worst packing job I have ever seem (From the UPS store mind you). The seller wasn't comfortable packing it but UPS was not the answer in this case. After going through it the last two days I have it as presentable as it's going to get. From far away it's okay but up close it's a mess on the sides and front and one of the tranny bells is dented ever so slightly but I am keeping it. It sounds really great so far but will get a good going through soon. That's why I put up with the shipping mishap and will be keeping it even though up close it has seen many many better days, but as it now just has another chapter to the story of me trying to track one down it will remain here with me.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/17/21 at 21:13:17

Sorry to hear about the damage. Sad
They are fine looking amps and not a lot of them circulating so it is a shame it wasn't packed properly.

I have owned one two different times now (first one new from EV), sold the most current one a year ago.
Never really had appropriate speakers, but if I ever buy another I'm going to keep it. Wink

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/21/21 at 04:17:53

Bought a carina from Eddie many years ago and kept it a long time.

He was very knowledgeable, shared everything he knew.

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #7 - 01/25/21 at 15:36:09

Hello Charlie ( and others ).
I too have fond recollections of the many hours I spent on the phone with Eddie over the years. I still have the many schematics and tutorials that he sent my way. It's been quite some time since we were in touch.

I don't know for sure what obit you are referring to, but if it's this one :

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/eddie-vaughn-obituary?pid=180121935

this is not our Eddie.
He went by Eddie here, but his real name is   John( or Johnie, can't remember for sure ) Edward Vaughan.
His wife's name is Aimee. In addition, while I'm going by memory now, he would be in his later forties, early fifties at most. This obit is not him.

I'm pretty sure I still have his address, so I'll do a little digging and see what I can come up with.

I do still remember our last conversation. He expressed disappointment with treatment he received from certain  members of another audio forum. This is only my conjecture, but I believe he disappeared because he simply wanted to.

A rare soul. I learned a lot from him.

Cheers,                           Crazy Bill

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/02/21 at 16:41:09

Hello Bill,

You are correct that Eddie is not his real name. I just used it because thats most knew him by. I believe he is my age or a tad older and I am 50. I found an Aimee in Russelville, AR which rings a bell and she is 52 with a possible relation to a John Vaughn but the number has been disconnected. Thanks for the reply. He seemed to been a positive person in many people lives. You are correct also in the BS he was getting tired of dealing with. I dont blame him. Maybe we will cross paths again. Thanks for the reply.

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/02/21 at 19:37:26

Crazy Bill and Charlie, I for one appreciate your efforts in reconnecting with Mr. Vaughn.

I recall many conversations with him many years ago.  He vas very understanding with my total lack of knowledge of the subject.  Somewhere I have a very comprehensive printout he sent me on the various tubes that were worth having.

I believe he attended the very first Deckfest in Peoria.  He slept in Steve's basement with his head in the large subwoffer.  His snoring was amplified by the enclosure much to the amusement of those present.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print