Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:19:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on functions of capcitors in tube audio (Read 3037 times)
jbohlscheid
Verified Member

Question on functions of capcitors in tube audio
01/05/21 at 19:46:24

I debated where to post this question as it somewhat relates to the Zkit#1 but is a general discussion topic.

I'm using the Zkit#1 to understand audio circuitry and tube systems. My main questions here revolve around the functions and naming of capacitors. Please correct my statements if they are incorrect.

In reference to the 3/10/2019 revision of the Zkit#1:
1. The 33uF and 20uF capacitors inline with the power supply are called "signal" or "smoothing" capacitors. These function to smooth the signal and voltage presented by the power transformer. The suggested bypass capacitors (anniversary modification) further filter and improve the signal. Upgrades here can create dramatic improvements

2. I am unsure of the naming and the function of the 3.3uF capacitors with the 10K resistors. Do these set the B+ voltage? I understand these have been dropped from the later iterations of the production amplifiers.

3. The two 0.1uF capacitors between the input and output stage are "coupling" capacitors and passes audio signal without a steady DC voltage and associated interference. Upgrades here can improve sound and performance, but not necessarily to the extent of the power supply upgrades

4. The 0.1 uF capacitors are the "Hazen Modification" that is specific to pentode and called a "suppressor" capacitor and manage electron flow in the tube. There is a lengthy discussion on this by Mr. Deckert.

5. Lastly, the 1000uF capacitor is a "cathode bypass" capacitor in may influence gain, frequency response and hum. Any idea which of these are functions are the purpose of this capacitor along with the resistor.

I appreciate your responses. Happier New Year. Cheers!

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: Question on functions of capcitors in tube audio
Reply #1 - 02/19/21 at 05:21:31

Hello,

I think I understand that the purpose of a bypass capacitor is to speed the functioning of the cap it is bypassing. The bypass cap does this by paralleling the resistance of the other cap. Paralled resistance being less because of the new second flow path. This is why we usually see only large caps being bypassed. They are the ones with the most resistance.

You referred to power supply capacitors as "signal" caps. Presumably because Steve did so on the schematic or in a technical paper. This may be a typo. To me "signal" caps are the ones also called "coupling" capacitors located between stages.

"suppressor" capacitor of the Hazen Modification
The suppresor is one of the screens in a pentode tube. This cap is called by that name because that is where it attaches, not because it is itself suppressing anything. At least I don't believe it is.

I am not too knowledgeable about any of this, but perhaps those answers are helpful, in a sort of blind-leading-the-blind kind of way.

Brian

IP Logged
jbohlscheid
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/06/21 at 16:51:51

Brian, Thanks for the input. This helps. Cheers.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/07/21 at 07:27:41

I am sorry nobody more knowledgeable than me saw this question. They still might.   I know I was not much help. But I do think what little I told was correct.

Best wishes for your journey.  Brian

IP Logged
bobc

Reply #4 - 10/08/21 at 13:54:03

Saw all this and thought I'd weigh in from experience of building the kit and a few p/p clones. Im a lapsed engineer and just sling solder as a hobby. I did build a few 'clones' and stay in a holiday inn, so I hope this helps. This is specific to your questions vs a EE dissertation.

1. The 33uF and 20uF capacitors inline with the power supply are called "signal" or "smoothing" capacitors. These function to smooth the signal and voltage presented by the power transformer. The suggested bypass capacitors (anniversary modification) further filter and improve the signal. Upgrades here can create dramatic improvements

Ans) Filter/smoothing/reservoir pick a name. With a tube rectifier you have limits on the first cap. Increasing the value of these caps, say 47uf will reduce ripple, which manifests as a low freq. hum. You will hear ripple in you speakers with no signal. These caps take the AC rectified into DC spikes and "smooth" it out. Since power supply feeds B+, direct to your speaker, the better / smoother this signal is, the better....Within practical limits, and the design.

Upgrades here (eg bypass caps) reduce resistance in the PS caused by larger value caps and ostensibly improve speed and sound. Bigger caps used to have very high ESR, these smaller "bypass" caps reduce the overall ESR of the power supply and "speed it up".  The power supply feeds B+ and signal directly. Subtle/modest changes at best IMO. Invest in your "coupling" caps vs these if you have a choice.

2. I am unsure of the naming and the function of the 3.3uF capacitors with the 10K resistors. Do these set the B+ voltage? I understand these have been dropped from the later iterations of the production amplifiers.

Ans: Voltage divider to feed preamp tube. They have been dropped AFAIK. I have had success removing them and using 2 56K carbon. If you have a good power supply this "works". I have made this change on my amps.  

This sets voltage for preamp tube, it comes after B+ in the circuit. B+ is fed from Power supply (see above), before this filter.

3. The two 0.1uF capacitors between the input and output stage are "coupling" capacitors and passes audio signal without a steady DC voltage and associated interference. Upgrades here can improve sound and performance, but not necessarily to the extent of the power supply upgrades

Ans) This is the sound of your amp. Upgrades here are generally accepted to improve quality. See Paper in Oil/Beeswax whatever Mojo. Good caps here matter.

4. The 0.1 uF capacitors are the "Hazen Modification" that is specific to pentode and called a "suppressor" capacitor and manage electron flow in the tube. There is a lengthy discussion on this by Mr. Deckert.

Yep.

5. Lastly, the 1000uF capacitor is a "cathode bypass" capacitor in may influence gain, frequency response and hum. Any idea which of these are functions are the purpose of this capacitor along with the resistor.

Ans) Set bias level (current) for output tube. The cap works as you describe above. I suspect all 3, mostly gain and frequency response. You deal with hum upstream Smiley. Ive heard of people bypassing this cap with a smaller one too. YMMV

Best I got off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

IP Logged
Billparsons
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/26/21 at 10:09:21

Just my 2 cents.  My favorite sounding Decware amp is based on the old circuit.
JAN Philips 5y3>32uf>1K>32ufx2>6k>32uf>15k>3uf>47k>6N1P (rocket logo).
That 3uf cap audibly changes the sound.  It actually decouples the input stage but it is also in a/c signal. It sounds like it effects both phase and frequency response to my ears.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print