Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 05:26:48 

Poll
Question: Which sounds best overall, Sample A or B?

Sample A
Sample B

« Created by: Steve Deckert on: 01/08/21 at 05:15:18 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Which of these two samples sounds best? (Read 30939 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Which of these two samples sounds best?
Reply #50 - 01/19/21 at 14:40:49

A sounds better than it did. I still prefer B. On my MacBook via its speakers.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
dvl

Reply #51 - 01/19/21 at 14:42:13

Now we are getting somewhere!

i did not vote on the first samples, both sounded wrong to me. The first one sounded digital in all the offensive ways digital can sound, sharp, thin, manufactured. The second one i could listen to, but it sounded not only muted as others have said, but like something was missing.

i find the new samples revealing. If all digital sounded as good as sample A i would listen to a lot more digital music! It is clear without being harsh or too sharp, not thin at all, great separation, a really enjoyable digital track!

Listening to sample B really does reveal how one can manipulate the sound. In some places it sounds like a different recording, in other places not quite the same separation, softer.

Looking forward to more of these comparisons, and hearing what magic Steve can perform on a typical digital file that needs real help!

David

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 01/19/21 at 16:50:57

“Remember the process is designed to create audiophile versions of existing masters that for whatever reason sound congested, dry, perhaps a little flat, or cold, or hard. Hard is the worse one.  Basically, designed to make less than perfect recordings sound better. So that obviously leads one to wonder what will happen if it's applied to recordings that don't need any help, or are otherwise unimproveable?”  SD

This unbelievably good recording sounds like a Stradivarius and a small Steinway being played by highly skilled artists, which is exactly what it is.  Steve, you are indeed a brave man to start with such an outstanding recording.  I, too, am looking forward to hearing the results of your process  on some dry, flat, cold, hard recordings.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #53 - 01/19/21 at 17:17:54

Aren't we supposed to be able to vote again on the new samples? I have not been able to do so.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #54 - 01/19/21 at 17:29:17

Me either. But my vote hasn't changed. . . . It might if I could listen to it on my main system but that's not possible for me.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 01/19/21 at 19:08:04

My vote has changed.  

Sample B  download picked up a noticeable background hum that isn't present on Sample A and I don't remember hearing it  on the original Samples.

Sample A has a lot less what I'll call "glare" than it did before.  Both the piano and the violin seem a lot more forward than in Sample B.  What I can't tell is they are moved back or just the background moved forward.( which is what I suspect since the volume levels are different) Sample B was like I was listening from further back instead of the first row.  Sample A sounds more dynamic to .  The loud parts are much more prominent than in Sample B.

I did hear things ins Sample B, background tones that I had to go back to Sample A to confirm they really were there.  Overtones to me are much better in Sample B.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #56 - 01/20/21 at 02:34:21

Whoops, I knew I wouldn't get that right the first time...  I have removed all the past votes prior to yesterday so those who voted before should be able to vote now.  I tried to do that yesterday but failed.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 01/20/21 at 10:04:31

Droid and cans again.

A seemed to be crisp and tactical.
B missing some of that crispness but gaining decay in harmonics.
It was a toss up for me and took a day to decide after listing to all four samples again, but change my vote to A.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 01/21/21 at 00:03:36

I find it very interesting reading all the comments on the violin sounds in these samples.

One thing, most audiophiles likely don’t realize is every violin has very different sound characteristics which also varies with each violinist. In fact, even a piano will “sound” very different depending on the pianist. (I’ve heard Steve say before, “I didn’t recognize that piano as the piano in another tape…” Sound production on a piano is completely dependent on the artist’s touch, speed of attack and weight.

With violins, the differences are even greater. What’s most important is how is that violin setup? Is the violinist a soloist who plays concertos in large halls? If so, they want a very bright powerful sound which can project to the back of the hall. A sweet pleasant violin sound is not the most powerful and will not project. For the violinist, something pleasing to their ears is not strong enough in a large hall. Very often a bright harsh sound, in their ears, sounds perfect in the concert and projects to the back of the hall.

So sometimes, when you hear a hard bright sound, it maybe true! (But that kind of bright, will not bother you like a thin/bright digital sound.) Also violins have enormous dynamics which you will not hear on most recordings...

Since I record in a relatively small space (my pool is 40’x50’ with 25’ ceiling at one end, tapering to about 15’ at the end) I must be very sensitive to the power of that violin and what overtones are being produced. Most audiophiles want to hear a warm sweet violin sound, which is a sensitive balance between direct and reflected sound (reverb).

In these 2 samples of the Tchaikovsky Concerto, the violin is a 1729 Stradivari. Steve also has the tape of Alena Baeva playing the Mendelssohn Concerto on a 1738 Guarneri del Gesu. These are the two greatest violin makers of all time. These 2 violins have very different sound characteristics & I will let Steve talk about the differences he heard on these 2 tapes…

Ed

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 01/21/21 at 04:55:14

I preferred A in both iterations, although I thought the differences were smaller in the second set. With the second pair I thought B sounded like the usual compressed recordings we get these days, nothing objectionable but made to sound good on crappy earbuds connected to an iPhone. Sample A sounded like an unrestrained good-as-I-could-make-it recording where if it didn't sound good you need to upgrade your system.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 01/22/21 at 12:41:03

So Ed,

Let say my wife and I were seated in the middle of your pool enjoying a glass of wine after a fine prime rib dinner while listening to you performing from the shallow end. Would it sound like B?
Now at the appropriate time with my nod, you come to serenade us. Would we hear A?

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 01/22/21 at 14:30:39

Good Morning John,

Very good question!

First of all, after a prime rib dinner & wine, I think you’d be hearing Sample C – ready for a nap!

On my system, when I play the tape at the “correct” volume, the sound stage is like I’m sitting in row D or E in a large concert hall. If I turn the volume down 4-5dB, the whole sound stage moves back in the listening room & it now sounds like I’m in row T in the large hall. However, the sound character does not change, everything is just less distinct.

However, in my actual room, since it is only 50’ long, the sound is pretty much the same everywhere except at the extreme front or back. Our ears “hear” the sound very differently from the microphones. A 1 foot difference in the mic placement produces a huge effect. The other thing in a live concert is the visual overtakes the auditory & many “sounds” are not “heard”. Maybe Jeff can chime in on this as he was at one of Narek’s concerts.

I listened to the samples again & my sense is B is missing a lot of mid to high frequency information, so my answer is NO to your question. (At the middle of my room & the front, it sounds almost exactly the same, in terms of definition of timbres…even at the very back, it does not lose definition or get foggy)

I’m puzzled by comments where one hears more “harmonics” in B…. I hear a haze or fog over the whole sound, compared to A…. but then, of course I’m biased! Ha!

John, you have an open invitation to come hear a concert & recording to see/hear for yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the live & recorded sound...

I’m sure Steve’s system will work great on overly bright digital recordings!

Bravo Steve!

Ed

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #62 - 01/23/21 at 07:53:15

Ed,
I would be more than happy to chime in.  Life has been insane on my end these past TWO years, but man...  that trip to Toronto to come see Narek at your concert/recording venue was a trip never to be forgotten!  I will make it back to your neck of the woods some day.  It is a music lover's AND audiophile's Mecca!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with everything that Ed wrote in his last post because it aligns perfectly with my personal experience witnessing the live concert my wife and I attended in May 2018 performed by Narek Hakhnazaryan and Ben Smith.  This was no ordinary experience.  Ed invited me to his place a day prior to the concert to tour his recording studio and listening room.  I can honestly say that Ed reset my reference for what I consider "no compromise."  The extremes that Ed and Tony Ma go to in order to capture the closest thing humanly possible to "LIVE" is beyond compare.  Of course it is hard to appreciate what I am saying because so many claim other worldly things these days, but Ed Pong has achieved something that I personally can attest to as being like nothing else.  

That "preview" day at Ed's place was eye opening.  I saw what was a seemingly endless supply of custom gear that he and Tony designed or modified as part of the recording or playback systems responsible for the UltraAnalogue tape products.  I lost count of how many vintage Western Digital 300B tubes Ed had in his system! I could go on and on about the recording chain in place from the mic's to the tape recorder but I could never do it justice.  

His pool room (concert venue) was something to marvel.  Upon first glance I thought, how can this room sound good?  Lots of hard surfaces and glass.  The ceiling is really tall at the stage area and it tapers down toward the back of the venue.  Once I heard the performance, the venue disappeared.  
I got to meet Narek and Ben that day and was treated to a sneak preview as they were rehearsing.  Ed and I moved around the venue to allow me to pick my seats for the concert the next day.  This was amazing because I literally heard how the musicians sounded at every seating area.  First off, there was NO bad seat.  Like Ed mentioned, there were distinct differences from the front row compared to the last row, but I would have had an equally amazing time in any of the available seats.  There were three areas that made my Top list, but it felt like splitting hairs.  The acoustics in that room just work.  

Long story short, the concert was phenomenal! The venue is small so you can hear absolutely everything human and instrumental.  It was intimate and raw with no adulteration.  And guess what, Ed sent me the three master tapes that I purchased from that very concert I attended and his methodology and equipment array created the most true-to-life, realistic reproduction of a concert I have ever experienced.  This was a unique and rare opportunity I understand.  But having been at a concert at Ed's place, and now owning the live recordings of that concert on open reel, the level and volume of information captured and then presented on these UltraAnalogue tapes is astonishing.  He pushes the envelope when it comes to recording levels but this is intentional.  He wants to elevate the low level details so they can be heard in the recording and the only way to do that is to raise the level of the entire recording.  It is in this low level detail that the magic resides and Ed has an uncanny ability to recreate a live experience by revealing this information in his tapes.  This is a product of his custom ALL analogue recording equipment and process, mic positioning, venue, and the work of several experienced and talented professionals who help capture that live concert and recreate it on tape.  

What you hear in these UltraAnalogue hi-res digital recordings and open reel tapes is what you would hear if you were sitting in any one of the seats at the UltraAnalogue concert venue.  My wife and I had an amazing time.  Ed and his wife Amy were the most gracious hosts and I look forward to seeing them both again at another UA concert in the future.  

Cheers,
Jeff

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 01/23/21 at 10:21:01

Hi Ed,

Sure! that nod would have prompted you to walk over and wake up that old fart!

I totally get it with sensory overload and live performances. The last time there was a violinist playing at the dinner table was my youngest's wedding. It actually became annoying after a while because he moved from table to table amongst all. The sound went between mute and sharp randomly.  

Don't be too puzzled. Remember I am listening to the samples with big box store headphones tethered to my cell phone. SOL EX is the brand that certainly was engineered to play well with the popular compressed music out there.

Would love to check out your place as well as Steves! Maybe this spring after the shot!

Best
John

IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #64 - 01/23/21 at 11:52:56

1/23/21.
I voted sample B after the first 2 listening sessions but after 2 more sessions I find myself changing my mind and preferring sample A. There is a hiss that is persistent in sample B that after some extra time listening to both I find aggravating.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 01/23/21 at 13:44:03

Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for telling us the sound you heard that day! I know you've been busy with expansion & hope this pandemic hasn't been too tough on you.

Thank you for your most kind words! I'm just having some fun!

It's hard to believe that was almost 3 yrs ago. Narek's been back twice since & each time has been a revelation of both music & his talent. Many major cello sonatas & some great show pieces - as only he can play them!

I've found 2 wonderful new musicians, violinist Alena Baeva & pianist Vadym Kholodenko. Alena won the Wieniawski Comp at 16 and Vadym won the Van Cliburn 7 yrs ago. Amy & I even went to their wedding in Luxembourg 2 yrs ago!

Unfortunately, I had to cancel a piano trio concert last Nov 15 due to the pandemic... Alena, Narek & Vadym - the dream trio! I'm trying to reschedule this hopefully for this November. If you can come to this, it will be fantastic. I'm on a mission to record the Beethoven Piano Trios, like the EMI set with Zukerman, du Pre & Barenboim. The Archduke will be on this 1st concert.

Here is a live stream just recorded & posted last week of Alena playing the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in Paris... unbelievable performance... considering she's expecting in February! (music starts around 12:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSPbD_BocsE&t=916s

Cheers

Ed

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #66 - 01/25/21 at 01:15:37

Here are the results of the second a/b test:

For the final test, I have created another Sample B. This time I used the tape Ed sent to me instead of the digital file and took the time to use all silver cables and replaced one of the tubes. There is no noise, hiss or hum in this recording that wasn't on the original so far as I can tell. That comes from both listening to it, and looking at the waveform under magnification.

While the realness and boldness of the tape comes off almost hard on anything but stellar playback gear, this last Sample B is designed to demonstrate the effect of the process as good as I can make it short of getting out the all tube playback deck. That said, the target recordings for this are not perfect recordings from Ed, but primarily digital masters that could benefit from a slight untwisting which is what this process can easily do.

The beauty of using Ed's sample is that it lets you actually hear the mellowing effect of the process itself, whereas with lesser recordings that seem to need help it would be more difficult. Hopefully this one will be a little more transparent. It's now pretty easy to hear the truck drive by outside on the highway not that far from the venue right in the middle of the recording.

Here is a link to the samples:  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18Eg5hAy-PX5X0SWgDtSxbHxJpnYkRo3p?usp=sha...

The file is called "LastsampleB.wav"

I have cleared the votes off again, so everyone can vote fresh for a third and final time.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #67 - 01/25/21 at 01:20:53

Also, just a note that the player that pops up on Google when you click on the files is pretty useless sounding. Definitely make sure you download the files to your computer and then use your player to hear the files.

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 01/25/21 at 14:11:24

Android with SOL EX cans downloaded file.

Last Sample B compared to New Sample A.

LSB is fuller leaning to bloat. Lower piano octave gives a sense of realism. Breaths sounds thru the nose.

NSA is leaner. Busy passages seem clearer. Breaths sounds thru teeth.

Not sure how a truck sound is distinguished.  Just sounded like a swish - like tires on wet pavement being picked up through an open window.

For some reason I did not download the first set of samples for these polls but did so for the last two!

LSB gets my vote of all. My room is in disarray right now and streamer on a different system. My preference could change listening in the Chariot. It was that close!

John

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #69 - 01/25/21 at 14:17:23

I'm still in the "B" camp, listening all three times through my MacBook speakers, no EQ.

IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 01/25/21 at 15:42:26

Fun stuff Steve!

My sense is your B is better than before... however, the pulse, rhythm & drive of the music is still more realistic in A. The sound is much "quicker" & the notes literally fly off the strings in A (as in real life)

In B, the sound is slower, more bloated, maybe warmer, more rounded & some or many may prefer that sound...

But A is still closer to the actual live sound...(one has to actually hear it live to understand what live really sounds like...) my 2c

I think your system will make harsh unlistenable recordings sound much better!

Ed

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 01/25/21 at 19:00:48

For 62 years we have had pianos in our home—various grands and uprights.  I’ve been a piano tuner for more than 25 years now.  My late mother was a piano performance major.  My brother is a professional pianist and had a Steinway model D in his studio for about 10 years; I tuned that piano and all three of my children played on it.  I’ve tuned many Steiways over the years.  My son was a piano performance major.  My two daughters were both violin performance majors, and though neither plays a strad valued at millions of dollars, I spent $7,000 to $8,000 on each of their more recent violins.  One is a 150 year old german instrument and the other is a remarkable sounding violin made by a current polish luthier.  I doubt a professional would choose either violin, but they are very nice instruments. The closest I’ve ever been to an old classic is approximately 6 feet; Midori gave a master class at William Jewell College approximately 10 years ago; my wife, our daughter, and I were in the front row of a very small recital hall within two steps of Midori and the student she was coaching.  If I recall correctly, the class ran about 90 minutes.   I believe she was playing a guarneri.  That was an incredibly enjoyable event!

Besides the above mentioned up close and personal exposure to violins and pianos, my wife and I have attended hundreds of concerts over the past forty years.  We are fortunate to have a world class orchestra in Kansas City, along with a universe class chamber music organization that has consistently brought in the biggest names in chamber music for 45 years.

Based on what I know about the sound of violins and pianos, I must stick with version A.  The violin and piano on A simply sound much closer to real than Version B, which to me seems extremely muffled and lifeless.

Having an all digital system, I do look forward to hearing what Steve’s new process can do with a nasty sounding digital mess of a recording!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 01/25/21 at 21:50:57

New Sample B is really good.  
I couldn't even get thru Sample A after hearing it first.

By far the biggest difference to my ears.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #73 - 01/25/21 at 22:46:04

This time I liked sample A better.
Sample B sounded muted a bit.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 01/26/21 at 02:19:16

I preferred A all 3 times now. LastsampleB is better than NewsampleB, but A still wins. I think LsB is how people *wish* a violin sounded, but I believe most who've heard a violin played live by an accomplished player will say A sounds more like a real violin in a real room.

That said, many may like LsB, because we don't always prefer what may be more real. LsB takes just a bit of the leading edge off, which may be just the ticket on a harsh recording or a sibilant system.

I'm excited to see what HFSL can do for lousy recordings, especially if it can do it in real time.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #75 - 01/29/21 at 17:13:08

Right now the votes are 5 to 4.

WWW   IP Logged
Fraubin001
Verified Member

Reply #76 - 08/30/21 at 21:46:41

I find sample 1 is very impressive at first, but I have never heard a violin nor a piano sounding razor sharp like this in the real life. Sample B to me is more soothing and has a more natural sound quality to it.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #77 - 08/31/21 at 03:12:08

I listened directly from the computer using good headphones.  I found A to be more lively, bright and it held my attention.  I liked B, finding it softer, more veiled, perhaps - a little like the SF fog, less edge, more softness.   In the end, I voted for A

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 08/31/21 at 17:26:12

I like newsampleA as a more realistic sound, you can hear the hammers in the piano and the zing of the resin on the bow. That is a magnificent fiddle played by a master. Last sample B sounded like some eq had been added, you could definitely listen to that longer but the transient response seemed like it had been dulled a tiny bit. That said, the last B sample did place the piano better in the soundstage. In last sample A I thought I could hear more of the room.
iPad with Sony 7506 headphones.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print