03/29/24 at 08:43:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HR-1 (Read 2215 times)
AdamG
Verified Member

HR-1
01/01/21 at 16:21:35

Looking to buy used HR-1. I have a jolida 805 tube amp.  Is it enough to push that speaker?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: HR-1
Reply #1 - 01/01/21 at 17:15:22

Adam, I have a pair that I haven't used since switching to F15s in big baffles over a year ago.  They have been "anniversary" modified and are in walnut.  I've kept them since with shipping I wasn't sure I could get what they are really worth.  I'm open to offers but I'm not very motivated.

I have seen what look like good deals on these come up now and then but still few and far between.  They are a fantastic speaker and I guess people like to hang on to them.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/01/21 at 17:56:25

AdamG,

Welcome! I could not find specs for an 805 Jolida....is it similar to a Jolida 801? If so, at 85 to 95 watts/8ohm, even with variations in measuring speakers and amps, seems you would have abundant power for HR1s.

Lucky for you that Archie might be willing to sell his. I was going to say also, it is pretty rare to see them come up.

It seems to me that Decware is careful/conservative about measuring, and the HR is rated:

92.5 dB with 1 watt at 1 meter
32Hz ~ 22kHz
4 ohm nominal impedance

They say minimum is 2 watts, but to me that is likely using a Decware 2 watt amp, which are known to feel more powerful than they measure, quite near field and/or small rooms, and maybe not terribly loud. My guess anyway.

I drive the HR1s with a Torii MKIV which is rated at 25 watts with stock tubes. I run mine a little lighter, using mellower tubes in several places. Also liking a ZBIT before a CSP3, then into the Torii, I can run into minor distortion a little earlier than using only one of these pre stages, so not sure of  the ultimate Torii power the ways I use it. I suspect the ways the HR1s spread the sound with the top driver contributes, but that is part of what makes them a special speaker too.

My room is hard for me to calculate accurately since there are numerous segues with partial walls, but roughly 30ish x18ish x 9???). For my serous immersion listening, averages are from the high 70dBs into low 80s and occasional peaks into the mid/high eighties...very rarely near or above 90. If not a little careful, I can get minor drops into distortion on extra hard notes while doing my style of really serious listening. So I am somewhat on the edge headroom wise for hardcore immersion listening here, loud enough, but near the edge, so needing a little care when setting up a session. I never run into this except in really serious listening. And it has been a while since I tested it, but I don't think this edge happens when I am running only the CSP3 or Zbit in front, a choice I could easily make if headroom edge were a notable issue for me.

Hope this helps,

Will

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
AdamG
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/01/21 at 18:32:58

Thank you for the quick response! I actually just found out about the speakers.  I've been looking at the Ohm2000 for about a year and found this comparable to it.  I'm going to reach out to Archie.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/01/21 at 19:01:44

I drive one pair of HR-1s with the SE84UFO3 monoblocks with Anniversary mods, and another pair (one of the last prototypes before production models were manufactured) with a Taboo Mk IV with Anniversary mods. I would think the Jolida would work fine.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/02/21 at 11:03:31

Y'all are forgetting that the anniversary modifications boosted the SPL on the HR1. I think this mod takes them up like 94db now.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print