Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:44:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coming soon ... the Plus series baffles (Read 4034 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Coming soon ... the Plus series baffles
12/21/20 at 23:01:54

When I first started offering the Betsy baffles for sale to the music loving public, the primary intent was to provide a simple speaker that sounded good, was modestly priced and was of a size and weight that made them easy to place and move in a listening room.
A favorable WAF and ease of shipping was also a consideration .....

Since 2015, there have been many requests from prospective customers for larger baffles as well as "thicker" baffles with either a flush mounted driver or a rear mounted driver with a roundover on the front of the driver opening.

The introduction of the Decware Audio models ZF15M and ZF15L made any thoughts of larger baffles unnecessary and moot ..... since I had (and still have) no interest in building and shipping anything in a carton larger than 24".

I'm still totally blown away by the sonic illusion that the low profile baffles provide with the stereo image / soundstage "floating" above the baffles and pulling an incredible visual and sonic "disappearing act".

However, the requests for the thicker baffles that are more in line with "audio furniture" have continued, so I recently built a pair of baffles for my personal audio system to see what the results would be and how they would perform sonically.

Here are the results ..... in Sapele (African mahogany)

Larger photos here, here, here, here and here.

As you might imagine, these speakers are a "bit" more work and additional materials ..... so I'm still kicking around the pricing structure, but the first order has already arrived from one of my local audio buddies ..... .

As to the sound, I don't hear a huge difference between the "Plus" baffles and a pair of the thinner baffles, but they will provide another option for someone who prefers a different look.

I'm working on another pair with "flush mounted" drivers on the front and will see how they turn out and compare visually and sonically.

I will be offering the "Plus" baffles with all of the current driver options.

More info to come as I figure it out .....

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Coming soon ... the Plus series baffles
Reply #1 - 12/22/20 at 03:26:41

Nice  !!!

WWW   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #2 - 12/22/20 at 05:13:25

Thanks Steve !!!

I must admit that I had a little bit of inspiration .....

Thanks again for all of the encouragement you have provided .....

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 12/23/20 at 00:39:18

You may remember the Fast-8 W15 combo we had going on over here... I think that's what you might be listening to a lot of the time yourself now.  Anyway I have the drivers in hand, although it is a new version of the Fast-8 I'm sure it will sound fine so I am going to have to create more baffles.  Also before the project is over I will probably make a triode low pass crossover so I can run the sub with a tube amp.  Anyway, I just found out from one of our customers that you can get a 1 inch thick plate of 6061 Aluminum big enough to make one betsy baffle for around $110.  I am considering making a prototype aluminum baffle to compare to the sound to the various woods.

Thanks to you my listening room is looking live a graveyard with a dozen head stones scattered about and now I'm talking about adding three more  ::)

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 12/23/20 at 01:29:09

That is really cheap for the aluminum.
If you need help cutting the aluminum  I kinda know a little bit on how to do it.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print