04/19/24 at 12:36:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My diy Zen Triode. (Read 10145 times)
Enrico
Verified Member

My diy Zen Triode.
12/12/20 at 14:56:00

Hello everyone, I'm new to the Forum and I introduce myself. My name is Enrico and I write from Italy (I am lucky enough to live in the famous town of Pinocchio, Collodi country, in Tuscany).
I met Decware by reading a fabulous review by TNTaudio on the Zen Triode and I was fascinated by it. I am a convinced self-builder and my whole self-built chain (except the cd player) is composed as follows: MHZS cd player, homemade DAC with Lampucera and Lampizator tube output stage, cathode follower preamp of two 6sn7gt, power amplifier set 300B, speakers Goodmans Axion 201 inserted in Coral Beta horns on TNT design.
I was curious to hear the Zen Triode in my hifi but in Italy it is not so easy to find one, and buying it in the USA involves a lot of transport and customs costs ... so I decided to build it, trying as much as possible to follow the project original. I managed to find Edcor output transformers in Germany, I had the power transformer built by a craftsman, while the cabinet I built myself using brushed spruce, impregnated with walnut color and polished with wax.
I wanted to build the Zen avoiding the use of solid state diodes but using the valve rectifier, so I can have fun trying different types of tubes and I also used the switch to select the bias just like the original.
I was afraid to choose the output transformer because my speakers have 16 Ohms and unfortunately Edcor sells transformers with only one secondary ... I wrote to Steve asking for help, without knowing him. I thought he would not have answered me seeing that I am a self-builder and instead he not only answered me as soon as possible, but he was also very kind in explaining the reasons for some choices. Thank you so much Steve!
Now I have finished building my Zen Triode, using a nos Dario GZ32 (I also have a nos Philips GZ34), a nos Philips Special Quality E88CC, and for the moment two used Philips EL84s taken from some vintage radios. I am expecting a pair of 6P15P-EVs from Ukraine, but in the meantime I inserted the EL84s just to test the amplifier. It works perfectly, and even with used tubes it is clear that it is a great amplifier! I wait to write reviews until the SV83 arrive but in the meantime I am already excited about it ... soon I will post some photos. A warm greeting to the whole Forum and a huge thank you to Steve: yours is a really good project.
Enrico.

IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Re: My diy Zen Triode.
Reply #1 - 12/12/20 at 15:41:22

This is one of my favorite photos: my two year old son Jonathan helping me take the measurements to drill the copper plate.

Jonathan_mi_aiuta.jpg
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 12/12/20 at 17:25:12

Welcome and congratulations! I love the photo of you and your son. A future audiophile in training Wink

Please post pictures of the finished product.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/12/20 at 20:36:16

thanks Geno!
I put some pictures, sorry for my bad English and the mess of my laboratory.

Lab_Enrico.jpg
  IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/12/20 at 20:42:32

And here is my finished Zen Triode. For now it is provisional, in the sense that I did not have all the precise resistances and I had to build them with the material I had by combining various values of 1 / 4w resistances. Even the copper plate is not definitive because it is too thin, but in Italy we are in Lockdown and I cannot leave my country for purchases. As soon as I can I will buy a 2mm thick copper plate and the precise values of resistances, so as to have less on the signal path.
But already so I am satisfied ... tomorrow I will try to put a final photo of the Zen with the valves on.

Interno_Zen_provvisorio.jpg
  IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 12/14/20 at 22:31:09

As promised, here is a photo of my finished Zen. I hope you like it ... my son is in love with it, when we listen to music he always goes to see those sounding "light bulbs". Roll Eyes

Zentriode_on_.jpg
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #6 - 12/15/20 at 00:37:17

Very nice!!! You should be proud of that. Beautiful and totally original!

Be sure to try the 6P15P output tubes. Pretty much universal agreement that they work better in this amp.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/15/20 at 01:09:44

I love the copper.  For the final version, see if you can get some1/4 inch thick plate.  $$$ but stout and beautiful!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
bobc

Reply #8 - 12/18/20 at 13:26:23

Very Nice! I was considering using copper too! There is a service in US called sendcutsend.com. They will laser cut metal, including copper, in various thickness.

I echo the advice to try 6P15P output tubes. Also (I think) more importantly the 6N1P input tube.

What schematic did you follow? The ZKIT or the Select? I think the main difference is the grid resistors (1K vs. 330ohm).

Enjoy the taste of SET!

IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 12/18/20 at 19:42:16

Thanks Bob,
I am just waiting for 6n15p to arrive, I have ordered them from Ukraine for 20 days ... but now we are close to Christmas and the shipments are clogged.
as a diagram I followed the one that uses the rectifying valve instead of the diodes, and the 1K resistors. It's the SE84C. Wink

IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 12/18/20 at 19:43:38

oops, I forgot ... thanks Archie! As soon as I can, I'll buy a nice solid copper plate! Wink

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #11 - 12/19/20 at 18:40:38

Enrico - Beautiful build sir, and your assistant is cute beyond words! Get them interested in music and tubes at a young age and they will grow to be well rounded people. I bet your system just conveys the magic in the music. Have a great holiday and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 12/20/20 at 07:39:25

Thanks Chris! my assistant has been listening to music for a year already, unbelievable ... when I take him to my music room he is delighted, and when the hifi system starts playing he sits on top of me in the ikea armchair and turns around to feel the instruments in various directions. You won't believe it, but for a year I put him to sleep every night with 15 minutes of rock (mostly ACDC, Dire Straits and Phil Collins, lately Michael Jackson too). When he hears rock he gets excited ... when instead I play Jazz (usually Henry Mancini, Pink Panther theme, Ella & Louis, etc) he laughs out loud when the trumpet plays solos. It seems that he comes to an audiophile with his tastes from an early age. Roll Eyes
my system is in the expansion phase, I want to do an active bi-amplification: with the Zen I drive Coral horns with Goodmans Axiom 201 fullrange, while with the 300B power amp (which I have now put to rest because the Zen is clearly superior) I am planning to build of augie with two Eminence Delta 15A.
Work in progress... Wink

IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 12/31/20 at 14:46:52

Guys, yesterday i got 6P15P-EV tubes. I couldn't resist, I mounted them immediately! I made them warm up for 10 minutes and then I started listening, even though I know they will need about fifty hours of running in. I was amazed! The difference with the EL84 is appreciated a lot: a little less bass but more precise, a spectacular voice, detail and speed, more air on the medium-high, deeper and more precise soundstage. It's amazing how much detail they can get out of the CD.
I also made myself a Christmas present: I bought a pair of 15 inch HH Acoustics B15L Woofers on Ebay. House walls, get ready to tremble!  :)

IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 01/02/21 at 13:32:14

Some picts...

IMG_20201230_144510.jpg
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #15 - 01/02/21 at 16:05:29

Enrico - Very nice, glad you received your tubes and are enjoying them. Have a wonderful New Year weekend and happy listening. Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 10/28/21 at 20:21:21

Dear friends of the forum, I promised you that there would be some work in progress ... that I had also bought two nice 15 "HH woofers ... the idea was to build myself two augers to drive in separate amplification and with the Zen drive the Goodmans fullrange in Coral horns, and for a while I did that, with the two nice woofers in open baffle.
But then one day I found on ebay the famous Saba greencones complete with tweeters with alnico magnets. And there I upset all my plans, at heart I am a self-builder and experimenter. I had all the speakers to build the famous Endorphin P17 project from Lampizator. I jumped in and built them. Guys, they pair up with the Zen Triode superbly. Tell me whether to continue on this thread or whether to make a new one dedicated ... I really want to share my irrepressible happiness with you.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 10/29/21 at 03:56:51

Yes! Please do share. I am enjoying your story.
I would start a new thread for the speaker project.

Brian

IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 10/29/21 at 07:44:56

Ok Brian, I'll do as you say  ;) , I'll open a new thread titled "Endorphin P17 & Zen Triode". I hope you will forgive my bad English, I am writing with the help of the translator but some words are wrong and I have to correct them. In these days of celebration I will tidy up my tavern (my room dedicated to hifi, is perpetually in disorder  ::) because I am always experimenting) and I will take some pictures.

IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 10/31/21 at 22:05:48

I made a new thread. I am happy, I think I have finished building ... now I will spend the next money only on CDs. It is true that someone like me is difficult to stop, but I am firmly convinced that I have reached an excellent result with a modest expense and that is why I want to share with you my satisfaction.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1635491627

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/31/21 at 22:35:22

Enrico, glad you are enjoying the amp and speakers.
The fact that you built them makes it even better. Cool

IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 10/31/21 at 22:44:05

Thank you Lin! Smiley

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 11/02/21 at 08:22:55

Enrico, The translator is serving you well. I have no trouble understanding you.

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print