03/28/24 at 10:26:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii Jr For Sale (Read 8304 times)
kvetcha
Verified Member

Torii Jr For Sale
12/01/20 at 18:16:00

For sale, Torii Jr, build date Oct 2019. Minor surface rust on the transformers, which Steve confirmed to me is a normal and expected bit of wear and tear, and does not affect performance in any way whatsoever. Unit is also missing its power cord, so buyer should be sure that they have one on hand or on order.

Includes Svetlana and Tung-Sol matched power quads and three different rectifiers, in addition to the default input and voltage regulator tubes.

Note: This is the same unit that @wulf sold me last month - while it looks and sounds tremendous, it proved a little too intimidating for my spouse, so I ended up settling for something a bit more friendly to work with for her sake. I'm hooked, though. One day, I will own another.

$1750 + shipping

IMG_5651.JPG
  IP Logged
rockrubber1
Verified Member

Re: Torii Jr For Sale
Reply #1 - 12/04/20 at 13:36:48

Kvetcha,
What mods was the amp built with. I have one on order and would like to compare to how I've spc'd mine to be built.
Thanks, Mike

IP Logged
kvetcha
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/04/20 at 16:24:59

@wulf can verify, but I don't believe there are any factory additions apart from stepped attenuators.

IP Logged
MC2500
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/09/20 at 00:26:57

HI, My name is Brian
. I am interested in your Tori jr. not as a intergraded but need to use it as an amp only with my Macintosh c2500 pre amp, that  also has my phono stage built in to it. Thank You Brian

IP Logged
kvetcha
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/09/20 at 15:23:34

Hi Brian, please PM me to discuss!

IP Logged
kvetcha
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 12/13/20 at 15:35:55

Unit is still available!

IP Logged
kvetcha
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/15/21 at 14:09:23

Sorry to anyone who PMd me the past few months, I haven't been checking the forums. This unit is still available!

One note: on high-efficiency speakers there is a hum from the left transformer. It is faintly audible on both Klipschorns and a pair of Forte IIs, and does not modulate with volume. I doubt it will be audible on any speakers under 95db sensitivity, but if this is a concern I would be happy to mediate the purchase through Decware to allow them to recertify and rewarranty the amplifier for the buyer.

Otherwise, the price stands. Thanks for reading!

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/15/21 at 17:21:20

I'm pretty sure a transformer has no idea how sensitive a speaker is.
Self noise (coming through the speakers) can be more or less evident depending on the sensitivity.

IP Logged
kvetcha
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/15/21 at 17:34:29

I'm only assuming it's something to do with the transformers based on the frequency of the hum. I swapped all the tubes with the included spares to ensure it wasn't coming from that end of things.

Out of curiosity, is this something you've run across with these amps? Anything else I could be looking into?

edit: self-noise is probably a better word for it, yes.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/15/21 at 17:37:35

Is the noise coming from the speakers?
Circuit noise is what I meant by self noise.

IP Logged
kvetcha
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 04/15/21 at 18:07:43

Yeah, the noise is audible from the left channel only. It's not speaker/cabling related since I've tried a number of other tube amps in this setup and only the Dec demonstrates the issue.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/16/21 at 00:32:54

I can't say for sure what it is, but power supply problems are in both channels, so I think this is something in the left signal path like a resistor or cap.

I wonder how much it would cost to have Decware fix it and update it to V2 status. $500 to update to V2.

IP Logged
kvetcha
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 04/16/21 at 11:59:22

Indeed, I’ve strongly considered doing that and just keeping the Dec for a rainy day, I just don’t have space in my home right now.

One day!

I’m sure I’ve done an excellent job selling people on this amp, but the conversation’s been helpful!

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/16/21 at 12:23:19

Buying and fixing/updating would less expense than new for buyer.

IP Logged
kvetcha
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 04/16/21 at 23:04:10

And potentially faster!

IP Logged
Adam Fann
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 04/17/21 at 13:37:35

PM sent

ZP3 w/25th mod, Torii Jr, Heavily Modified Project/One DR-890, Alnico Betsy Open Baffles, Klipsch R-110SW
  IP Logged
kvetcha
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 04/23/21 at 12:06:34

Unit has found a new home!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print