04/18/24 at 03:44:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heathkit Ua2 mods (Read 2765 times)
Radarek

Heathkit Ua2 mods
12/01/20 at 00:45:26

Hi

Just got a set of nicely preserved set of monos Ua2. Some of parts were upgraded, but no mods were performed to the circuit itself. As am waiting for new set of tubes for it, some ideas were born...Here is my question... as this is  EL 84 powered amp... would the Hazen mod be a nice upgraded together with 6p15p tubes?? If yes what else would need to be done with the mod to go through?

Can post schematic if that helps

Thanks

Darius

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Heathkit Ua2 mods
Reply #1 - 12/20/20 at 16:49:19

Radarek- I am not the one to comment on your questions, other than to say I am interested in what the outcome will be. I have a Rachael and do like the EL34 and it sounds very good as it is. But, I really love it with 807's and adaptors. How do the amps sound as is? I remember having a set of McIntosh MC30's that I bought off a customer in the late 80's. Worked fine, looked good but sounded like ''classic'' tube amps. Glorious midrange, low bass was like over cooked pasta and the top end was ok but always sounded to me a little ''phasey''. Keep us posted on your adventure and some photos would be awesome. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 12/24/20 at 17:09:35

Since the Hazen mod was done to my Rachel, I must point out that these use an EL34 tube rather than an EL84 tube. Having said that, my question would be about the makeup of the tube itself, i.e. an EL34 tube is a triode, but I don't recall if the EL84 tube is also a triode. If not, then the Hazen mod may very well not apply here. It has been awhile since I have been on this site, so forgive me if I have missed something.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/24/20 at 18:06:57

If I recall correctly the Hazen Grid Mod does not work with the EL84, but does with the tubes Steve supplies the 6P15 type.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Radarek

Reply #4 - 01/20/21 at 00:38:56

Hi

Whole idea was about using 6p15p tubes. Standard Ua2 is working perfectly with them installed...just want to squeeze that extra bit...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print