Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:41:18 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cambridge Audio CXN V2 w/ Modwright Mods A Review (Read 9620 times)
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Re: Cambridge Audio CXN V2 w/ Modwright Mods A Review
Reply #50 - 05/03/21 at 17:05:12

Tommy, thanks again for your reply.  I had passed over ZROOCK2 as I did not appreciate the piece that it adds. Now, I am interested.  I have a follow-up question.  I have an Elac sub that I have never been pleased with.  At best it is OK.  Would you imagine that the ZROCK2 might improve what it contributes, be in conflict with the sub, or eliminate the need for it altogether?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 05/03/21 at 20:11:38

Tony, hard to say conclusively but I imagine it would still be an improvement.
My speakers go down to about 39 hz, and at one time was considering a sub-woofer. After inserting a ZRock into my system I no longer desired a sub.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
TexJ
Verified Member

Reply #52 - 09/20/23 at 01:58:41

I just added an external DAC so I am using my Cambridge as a streamer.  Since I added the DAC I have a loud pop as soon as I hit play.  

Does anyone know what causes a pop when you start to play a song?

I am waiting on my Torii Jr. to be built.  I have a triode tube outstage DAC between the Cambridge streamer and a chip amp.  But I was hoping I could use this DAC with the Torii Jr once I get it.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 09/20/23 at 14:08:03

First make sure the streamer, streaming software, and DAC have the recent versions installed.

Then, inspect the cable connecting the two - take it out, clean the connectors, etc, and reinstall it firmly. Realize the quality of this cable matters greatly - a poor connection or poor quality will cause that pop in addition to dropped signals, songs getting cut off, extraneous noise, etc.

Check your DAC's settings, especially the Phase Loop Lock (PLL). You are likely experiencing a "jitter" problem, so change the setting until the pop goes away...but for best sound quality use this setting as sparingly as possible.

Lastly, leave the Streamer and DAC on for at least a few days to ensure their clocks sync.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #54 - 09/20/23 at 15:38:19

Are you connecting the streamer to the DAC with USB?

Agree with everything Ghostship said, esp. about leaving DAC and streamer on. Do you have anything else with a digital output, like a CD player, you can try with the DAC to see what happens?

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
TexJ
Verified Member

Reply #55 - 09/21/23 at 14:43:21

Thanks for the responses.  I changed cables and followed a sequence of turning on devices advised by the dealer who was selling me the DAC but it didn't help. The pop I mentioned happens when I power everything up, it is loud and comes out of my speakers.
In the manual there was a section about connecting the DAC directly to an amp. Since this DAC has a triode tube out stage & a minimalist internal components, a pop is common when connecting directly to an amp.  This pop is amplified if you have higher sensitive speakers (I do) and the use of XLR cables (guilty again).  The dealer also suggested to replace the cambridge with a more costly streamer to get rid of noise between the songs.  It seems I need to add a preamp to assist in eliminating the pop. I decided to return the DAC instead of replacing the cambridge and adding a preamp for a system I mostly use streaming as a source.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print