Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:49:09 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cambridge Audio CXN V2 w/ Modwright Mods A Review (Read 9604 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 w/ Modwright Mods A Review
11/20/20 at 21:43:55

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 - Modwright Instruments Truth
Modifications (My Lucille) Review

A Little Background

In May, 2020 I contacted Dan Wright of Modwright Instruments (MWI) regarding a proposed tube output modification he was considering for the Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (CXN).  I now have the pleasure of owning the first of Dan’s first modified CXN music streamer/DAC. Here is a link to MWI’s page describing the modifications in detail: http://www.modwright.com/modifications/cambridge-cxn-v2-tube-modification.php .

The stock CXN has been fairly well reviewed on Darko.Audio, What*HiFi, and recently The Absolute Sound. The unit was purchased directly from Crutchfield and shipped directly to Modwright for the modifications, so I don’t have any baseline listening experience with the stock CXN.

What prompted me to get MWI to modify a Cambridge Audio CXN V2? First, I’ve had the opportunity to hear a few of Dan Wright’s amplifiers, preamplifiers, and modified digital source equipment at three Capital Audio Shows. His equipment has always sounded glorious, even in somewhat challenging listening conditions. He has always impressed me as someone who is passionate about music, sound reproduction, and his personal commitment to customer satisfaction.  Second, Steve Deckert of Decware (disclosure: I own a lot of Steve’s equipment) lauded about the user friendly interface and excellent sound quality of the stock unit. I was impressed when Steve mentioned on the Decware forum that he replaced his own ZDAC2 (modified TEAC NT503 DAC) with the CXN. Third, after enjoying an audio PC and DAC combo for a few years, I wanted a single box music streamer/DAC solution to simplify my dedicated two channel audio system.

My Listening and Set Up Experience

To cut to the chase, the Modwright Instruments Truth modified CXN V2 streamer/DAC produces the best sounding reproduced music I’ve ever heard, PERIOD!  This includes analog (vinyl) and digital (streamed, CD, SACD, or uncompressed digital files).  Upon my initial listening after a short period warming up the supplied JJ 6992 tubes, this baby (which I call My Lucille) casts a tonally accurate, spacious soundscape with beautiful sounding voices and instruments. The music is rendered with exceptional emotion and detail, it just grabs you and won’t let go. The modified CXN allows you to simply indulge yourself in the music.

The CXN was a snap to install and set up. Initially I hooked up a Triode Wire Labs (TWL) digital coax cable from my CD transport, RCA outs from the CXN to my Decware CSP3+ preamplifier and a TWL High Power Digital power cord from the CXN to my PI Audio Group UberBUSS power conditioner. A couple minutes later I had my WiFi connection and downloaded the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic remote app on my Samsung tablet. Then I was playing some favorite selections of streamed music via TIDAL. It was all very straight forward with no hiccups. The controls on CXN front panel and supplied remote control are easy to use and very intuitive. Congratulations Cambridge Audio.

After a couple of days, I found the Stream Magic app a bit clunky and frustrating accessing my music on TIDAL. I opted to a Roon Audio trial. Bingo, just the user friendly ticket for a technology challenged audio nut to access all of his/her music. It was easy peasy to install, plus improved sound quality using the Roon processing to boot. While the CXN has a built in preamplifier mode which makes it easy to adjust volume from your listening position, I found that turning this function off resulted in improved sound quality, YRMV.

More On Sound Quality

After spending ten days with the MWI modified CXN I am growing more and more enamored with each listening experience. Streaming TIDAL selections on Roon (my primary listening mode) I became more drawn to the music than ever before. Everything just sounds so right. Female vocals, piano, stringed instruments, brass, etc. are conveyed to the listener which shocking realism and truth. I was astounded by the attack of several large scale orchestral pieces and drum solo’s on more than one occasion. This piece of audio equipment simply put brings musical joy to your ears!

According to the Cambridge Audio website “the CXN V2 features ATF2 (2nd generation Adaptive Time Filtering) audio upsampling. The ATF2 system intelligently upsamples all incoming audio signals to 24-bit/384kHz. ATF2 also dramatically reduces digital jitter, a form of audible interference which affects all digital music. Jitter is most apparent when music is stored on computer hard drives and is the audio equivalent to a blurred image in a movie. Data scrambling circuitry also maintains signal quality and purity during quieter periods by reducing background noise.”

The modified CXN brings a deep sense of the recorded space, particularly on live recordings. Formerly hidden details in the music like reverberation, breathing of singers, the thwack of a drum skin, buzz of a guitar amplifier on stage, etc. gives one an vivid mental picture of the recorded venue and conveys energy from audiences when present. I think this is due to a combination of factors including the CXN and well-designed tube output’s extremely low noise floor, the cache of subtle details resolved, and the vast three dimensional soundstage that emerges from ones speakers. As an example, listening to Eric Clapton’s Unplugged and the Nils Lofgren Band Live albums were a surreal, you are there experience.

Some Closing Thoughts

Like many, I have been involved in this hobby/obsession for most of my life. It all started with a visit to Audio Connection in Verona, NJ, meeting owner John Rutan, and listening to Quicksilver Audio tube amplifiers and a pair of Vandersteen 2CE speakers. What an ear opening experience that was!

Dan Wright had been obsessed, in a very good way, with designing and building audio equipment and equipment modifications for more than 20 years.  I believe his passion, dedication, and extensive tube output modification/building experience has reached a true pinnacle the Cambridge Audio CXN V2. Folks, this is simply an audio masterpiece that rivals ANY DIGITAL MUSIC STREAMER OR DAC out there today.

Sure, right you say, but are there no shortcomings? I’ve tried very hard to find any flaws over the last ten days given my attention to detail and attentive listening. Here are a few minor quibbles. First, as previously mentioned the Stream Magic remote app is clunky and a bit slow. If you want the best user experience plop down the subscription price and install Roon, it’s that simple. Second, my modified unit came with a pair of matched JJ E88CC/6992 tubes sourced from Viva Tubes. The tubes sound very good, but I’ve ordered a pair of NOS Amperex 6DJ8 tubes from Vintage Tube Service to see if I can get an even better sound, it’s just my never ending need to search for the ultimate in sound quality.

Hearty congratulations to Dan Wright. Through his Cambridge Audio CXN V2 MWI Truth modifications he has created an absolutely stunning sounding audio experience in my listening room.

Associated Equipment

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ heavy platter w/ Dynavector 20X2 low output cartridge > Modwright Instruments PH9.0 phono preamplifier > Decware ZRock2 w/ 25th anniversary mods OR Modwright Instruments modified Cambridge Audio CXN V2 music streamer/DAC > Decware CSP3+ preamplifier w/ 25th anniversary mods > Pi Audio Group UberBUSS power conditioner (source equipment only) > Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier w/ 25th anniversary mods > Omega Super Alnico High Output XRS speakers OR Caintuck Audio Lii15 open baffle speakers. Various RCA interconnects and power cables from Triode Wire Labs, ZenWave Audio, and Accoustic BBQ. All in a dedicated well treated listening room.

Listening Notes

All listening was done through single-ended RCA inputs/outputs. The modification includes upgraded RCA outputs and stock balanced XLR outputs, you can only use one at a time. I did not do any listening to the modified CXN V@ with the stock power cord. I used a highly regarded Triode Wire Labs power cord.

END

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Cambridge Audio CXN V2 w/ Modwright Mods A Review
Reply #1 - 11/21/20 at 03:05:06

That is awesome HK.  I just sent an email to Dan with a few questions. I just might follow your lead.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/21/20 at 13:09:29

Geno,

It's really an exceptional experience listening to the CXN V2 with the Modwright Truth modifications. I know it's a fair amount to spend between the CXN and the mods, but life is short and I'm passionate about listening to music. It brings me such joy!

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/23/20 at 18:34:19

Thanks for sharing HK!
Sounds very interesting Wink
I wonder if Dan would also be able to include a good analog volume control, my current DAC, T+A DSD8, has a great analog resistor based volume control.

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/23/20 at 18:52:13

Best to email Kristin to check. The digital preamp in the CXN is built into to large printed circuit board, not sure if it can easily be disconnected.

HK

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 11/23/20 at 23:12:15

Speaking of Kristin, she is sending me an invoice tomorrow. 10% discount for early customers for these mods.  I got the CXN ordered this afternoon. Super excited!  HK, I don’t whether to thank you or be upset with you for bringing this to light Wink

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/23/20 at 23:47:17

Geno,

Just wait until you hear it in your system, then decide. Me, I simply just can't get the smile off my face every time I listen. Dan's modifications are the REAL deal. I'm betting you'll be delighted and 10% off to boot👍.

HK

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #7 - 11/23/20 at 23:56:08

HK,

The cool thing, too, is that with my Zbit, I’ll get to use the balanced outputs. Glad to be able to do that. Thanks again sir!

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
rockrubber1
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 11/26/20 at 18:38:05

Please update after you get your unit. I'm seriously considering this piece ! Grin

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/26/20 at 21:15:03

Well if you simply look further up this thread, there is a full review. Or am I missing something? Maybe it's the turkey😊.

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/27/20 at 14:02:21

So I sprang for a 1.0 amp Synergistic Research Orange fuse to replace the stock CXN V2 fuse. I didn't think things could improve, but Holy Crap a definite increase in dimensionality and sonics.

Damn, and I haven't even received my NOS Amperex 6DJ8 tubes yet from Andy😊.

HK

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 11/27/20 at 16:03:59

Yes, I believe in fuses, glad you tried that one in that place. I haven't changed those in my DSD (which knocks me out every time I listen to it) because it's a pain to remove the cover and access. .. but I will one day, as I have audiophile fuses in every other component (all but one Audio Magic--I love their sound).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
rockrubber1
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 11/27/20 at 16:25:45

Sorry Hock, I wasn't clear. I really enjoyed your review but was asking Gino or any others to chime in when they receive theirs. Thanks!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 12/02/20 at 10:30:09

Quote:
Modwright Instruments Truth modified CXN V2 streamer/DAC produces the best sounding reproduced music I’ve ever heard, PERIOD!  This includes analog (vinyl)

Now that is saying something Hock! Going to put this mod on my new years resolution list. Do you have any pictures to share of the new mod? Seems Dan's listening experience of the stock unit parallels mine.

Thanks for sharing.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 12/02/20 at 12:02:30

John,

Thanks for your note. Here is a link to Dan Wright's (ModWright) Facebook post which includes pictures of the CXN interior modifications and a link to an Audio Circle thread. Posting pictures on this forum is a bit of a PIA.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3639789836085334&id=100001630611649&...;
sfnsn=mo

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=169517.40
You'll need to scroll down the page a bit for the pictures.

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 12/04/20 at 15:29:47

I continued to be absolutely amazed and thrilled with my new modified CXN digital set up. With the Synergistic Research Orange fuses close to fully settling in, the rendering of instruments and vocals creates an unparalleled music experience in my listening room

And I haven't even received my NOS Aperex 6dj8 tubes yet. Hopefully another level of unobtainiem to come?

HK

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #16 - 12/05/20 at 07:23:51

That’s great to hear Roger!! It will be interesting to hear your reaction after the NOS tubes are installed.  You may to to start your own live feed!!  

Enjoy!!  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 12/06/20 at 15:29:28

Roger,
Your enthusiasm is pushing me to jump on this mod, now! My CXN2 has been setting idle since summer. The mod will have to wait for next year. There are too many projects going on with the Chariot at the moment.

However, I did dust off the streamer, hooked it up to the whole house system, upgraded the speakers in the shop, and signed up for Tidal HiFi yesterday. Listening to Yello now, while typing on an IPad setting on top of about 60 board foot 8/4 rough sawn oak. Nice!

For any one that wants to give Tidal’s service a shot the Black Friday special is still going on. $1.99 for 4 months of Hi Fi. Not sure if that is per month or the whole 4 months.

The CXN2 does not have the necessary hardware to play MQA files offered on Tidal HiFi . A computer will need tied to it running Tidal’s PC software to play the files. The steamer can upsample the files on a limited basis. Cambridge is looking at upgrading it’s hardware but has no plans for future models at the moment. The rat race continues.

I was in touch with Dan on the possibility of offer a mod kit in the future. His answer was “not”. The reasoning was very understandable.  

After this pandemic, it would be great to meet guys in this forum...put a name and face to the monikers! Hopefully next fall Steve will host his fest again.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 12/06/20 at 16:07:09

John,

I got into digital streaming late, about two years ago as I did not think the SQ came anywhere close to a decent vinyl set up. I listened to vinyl 80% of the time and CD's 20%.

After getting a ZDAC from Decware & an audio PC from Lonely Raven into my set up I was very satisfied with the sound quality. However, vinyl still had a decent leg up on this set up. There was a lack of natural decay on piano and string notes, soundstage depth was limited, and vocals just weren't quite right. I did however enjoy access to the immense variety of music through TIDAL and Qobuz.

I wouldn't worry about having to wait on the mods. Given the amount of time Dan puts into the design and testing of his modifications, it just doesn't make sense to offer a kit. The complexity of implementing many new components into an existing unit just doesn't lend itself to DIY, IMHO.

If the Covid vaccine is successful, I suspect that we may see audio shows opening back up late next year. Dan will likely have a modified CXN in some of his set ups. So for anyone who's on the fence or want to hear for themselves, this may be an option.

If anyone is in the greater Philadelphia/Wilmington DE area wants to hear it in person, just drop me a PM and I'll try to set something up after the holidays.

HK

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 12/06/20 at 16:41:18

Roger,
Streaming has always been behind the 8 ball in my experience. With the stock CVX2, sound quality is still not par with vinyl. IMO. I have heard CD transports with a good tube DAC rival vinyl. I am glad that you are experience audio bliss with the CVX2 and looking forward to Getting the mod when it is feasible.

Dan’s main reason for not offer a kit is the time involved fielding questions that will surely follow. Probably why Steve dropped some of his earlier kits.

John

IP Logged
mannishjoy
Verified Member

Proud Holographic
Dependancy

Reply #20 - 12/08/20 at 17:52:30

I'm very curious about this, HK. I'm looking to add more liquidity and holography to a high powered, solid state system. How do theses upgrades enhance the CXN's preamp capabilities?

System: Hegel H590>Silversmith Audio Fidelium speaker cable>Magnepan 1.7i

I'm curious what level of imagery and liquid holography I might achieve through tubes and efficient open baffle speakers as opposed to my current system.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 12/08/20 at 19:19:46

I did a modest amount of listening with the digital preamp function engaged. Same immense soundstage, holographic sound, and excellent rendering of voiced and instruments. I prefer the SQ without the preamp function engaged, it's just a bit clearer sounding.

The other benefit of the preamp function is that you can control volume from your listening position with the remote or Stream Magic app. This can be very useful.

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 12/08/20 at 23:36:48

FYI,

Dan is doing the first batches of CXN V2 modifications this week and next.

HK

IP Logged
ovs-audio
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 12/10/20 at 21:23:52

that's interesting, I've had more than 100 dacs in the past with different streamers cables you name it, I'm ready for a rest and just want to buy an all in one streamer, is the Cambridge also worth buying without the modifications?

Are this the same modifications. https://www.ebay.de/itm/164569974348

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 12/10/20 at 22:10:22

See comment below.

HK

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 12/10/20 at 22:19:03

ovs, to answer your 1st question, Steve Deckert would answer with a resounding YES! The factory version was a watershed piece of equipment for him.
You should check out his story on it - he goes into great detail.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1587527488

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
ovs-audio
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 12/11/20 at 07:53:25

ok thanks i am going to read it.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 12/12/20 at 15:25:10

Ovs,
From what I gathered, that e-bay posting does not have the same mods as Rogers. It just has some upgraded caps and power supply. A very important mod, the tube audio output, is available at additional cost.

I been using my stock CXNV2 for 5 days now. The sound does not compare to vinyl but rivals CD on a good transport. The usability is top notch taking streaming to the next level. The I-pad app seems less troublesome than droid.
IMO the CXNV2 is well worth the entrance fee for just the usability that it brings to the table. It is also comforting to know that when I want to get serious with the streamer in the Chariot, Dan’s mod is available.
John

IP Logged
ovs-audio
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 12/12/20 at 16:12:33

for me everything is expensive that i have it done in the usa, same as decware cables there are import costs and shipping cost and i realy want to try the cables, and i never see them second hand. you can also have a nice streamer with the raspberry pi and the Discrete R-2R DAC Hat for Raspberry Pi - V1.3.
i ordered one, i also have his dac with the 1865 chip.
It has beaten many dacs I have had.
sorry for me bad english.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 12/13/20 at 12:09:20

I checked out the Raspberrie Pi. To me the pis is just another labor intensive endeavor that I am not willing to do.
Ovs, I think you will be very happy with the CXNV2 plug and play capability. Stock, it opens an entire world of no nonsense CD quality music at your fingertips in a true modern convenient manner. The only issue that I have encountered to date is placement of the unit is critical for good WiFi reception which the CXNV2 covers by supplying an ethernet connection.
Enjoy!
John

IP Logged
mannishjoy
Verified Member

Proud Holographic
Dependancy

Reply #30 - 12/13/20 at 19:34:25

HK,

Have you rolled NOS tubes yet?

System: Hegel H590>Silversmith Audio Fidelium speaker cable>Magnepan 1.7i

I'm curious what level of imagery and liquid holography I might achieve through tubes and efficient open baffle speakers as opposed to my current system.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 12/13/20 at 20:06:22

Still waiting on the NOS tubes from Andy, he seems to be backed up with orders. Hopefully later this week.

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 12/17/20 at 09:17:00

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 12/31/20 at 19:46:23

The NOS 6DJ8 Amperex tubes finally arrived from Andy at Vintage Tube Services today. They sound sublime with just a couple hours on them - solid! More after about 50 hours on these and my new listening chair too.🤠.

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 01/10/21 at 14:13:10

I am now in the process of tube rolling between Andy's NOS Amperex 6DJ8's and a pair of 1974 REFLEKTOR Single Wire 6N23P (E88CC) Silver Shield's I picked up from a trusted Ukraine source.

Boy those 6N23P tubes are a tight fit into the ceramic tube sockets! Thank goodness for Steve's tube pin straightener. This is a must purchase IMHO.

More to come after both sets are fully burned in.

HK

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #35 - 01/23/21 at 04:22:38

Folks, HK was not exaggerating! I got my modified CXN today. I’ve put it through the paces for 3 or 4 hours. It is the real deal for sure!
I look forward to the weekend with it for further break in and evaluation. Thank you Roger!!!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 01/23/21 at 08:14:40

Geno,

Glad you received your modified CXN V2. Wait until you get ~40 hours on the unit😉. It gets even better. Enjoy.

HK

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 01/23/21 at 09:09:29

I was wondering if you got yours back Geno. Looking forward to your impressions. Congrats!
John

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #38 - 01/23/21 at 13:41:44

Perhaps an overused term in audio is ‘Organic’, but that is the best word to use to describe the sound of this thing. Whew!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
duaneh
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 01/23/21 at 14:24:19

Gino--what was the turnaround time?  (Sorry if you indicated that above.)  I see at the modwright website that he advertises two weeks "from the start date," but what was your total?  After waiting six months for my SE84UFO25 (which arrived yesterday!) I don't know if I want to part with my CXN V2 for very long.

Decware SE84UFO25, ZROCK2, Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (with Modwright modifications), Klipsch Heresy IIIs, Forte IVs, Mapleshade Double Helix 2 speaker wire, Decware DSR I/Cs, Brickwall surge protector, DHC-1 and Audiocrast power cords, Qobuz/Roon
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #40 - 01/23/21 at 14:51:05

The two weeks is correct. You will get it back quickly.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
rockrubber1
Verified Member

Reply #41 - 01/23/21 at 16:46:49

Geno, what streamer were you using before the Cambridge? I’m currently using the Bluesound Node2. It sounds really good but of course I’m hoping the modified Cambridge is the improvement everyone claims

IP Logged
rockrubber1
Verified Member

Reply #42 - 01/23/21 at 16:49:51

Duaneh, I ordered new Cambridge drop shipped to Modwright. It arrived there on Jan 7th and shipped yesterday Friday 22nd. So about two weeks

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #43 - 01/23/21 at 16:56:49

Glad you asked that. I’ve been using a PS Audio DAC JR. In the weeks that I waited on the CXN, I kept thinking that it was going to have to be something special to best the JR. I really did not have a reason to even think about replacing it. The sound of it is remarkable. Really, the only reason I changed to the CXN is because of the streaming capability. I’ve been using a dedicated audio computer, and wanted to get away from the usual computer related issues. As good as the JR is, I was not expecting the CXN to be this much better. Kudos to Dan Wright. And to HK!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #44 - 01/23/21 at 17:13:45

Right now, I’m listening to one of my reference recordings - a DSD recording played from an external drive plugged in to the USB port on front of the CXN. I just laughed out loud at how much better it is. Startling.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 01/23/21 at 17:22:57

I never expected digital music to EVER sound as good as the ModWright modified Cambridge Audio CXN V2. Geno, after the unit settles in, get a good matched pair of Russian REFLEKTOR single wire silver shield 6N23P tubes, preferably 1974  or 1975.  These babies edged out NOS Amperex 6DJ8 tubes in my CXN.

HK

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 03/05/21 at 19:27:39

Is anyone else having trouble getting internet radio from the stream magic app on the CXNv2? I have trouble getting public radio.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Mike Foster
Verified Member

Reply #47 - 03/08/21 at 00:27:09

Mine works fine

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #48 - 05/02/21 at 18:17:51

I am fairly new here, studying and ordering various components for a new system.  I have ordered SE84UFO2, and as I wait for its arrival (probably Dec)  I have time to explore what else I might need.  I purchased the CXN V2 and Klipsch 600 speakers to go with my amp.  I am now focused on streaming music and considering the Modwright Mod and the ZBIT, but cannot do both this year. From just this much info, is there any benefit of starting with one of these two options?  My listening room is small, so not overly concerned with volume.  I assume I will be fine.  Thanks in advance to all that might offer some thoughts on this question.  

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 05/02/21 at 19:05:34

Tony, I have both the ZBIT, the ZStage and the ZRock. If I could only have one of these, hands down, it is the ZRock.
The ability to tailor and contour digital audio or poorly recorded music is huge.
This component is brilliant. No matter what gear comes and goes in my system, I will always have a ZRock.
I highly recommend giving it consideration.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS