04/19/24 at 05:44:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So many choices! (Read 5204 times)
pathguy
Verified Member

So many choices!
11/05/20 at 13:52:26

Hi everyone--yet another new member here.  The more I read and learn about these Decware products the more intrigued I am becoming.

My current integrated is a 60 WPC Ars-Sonum Gran Filarmonia (not very well known) paired with a pair of Merlin VSM speakers.  The Gran is a screen-modulated pentode push-pull with 4 EL34's per channel.

My room is 15' x 11' (so relatively small), and I am pretty close to the speakers (though probably not quite near-field).  I primarily listen to vinyl (VPI Prime with a Kiseki Purple Heart fed into a Zesto Audio Andros II tube phono stage).    My musical tastes are varied, but I am mostly listening to acoustic jazz, 70's singer-songwriter stuff (Carole King, Joni Mitchell), and the occasional shoegaze record.  I don't listen at ear-splitting levels (typically around 80dB or so).

Having never heard a Decware amp before, I'm wondering if folks have gone from a similar medium-powered push-pull tube amp to a Decware (whether a triode or not).  I'd love to know what amp would pair with my Merlins (as I'd hate to have to get rid of them too)--they have a sensitivity of 89dB, and what difference in sound I might experience.  Not that I hate my system now....just looking for a more spacious soundstage and perhaps an overall more engaging experience.

I apologize for the long post:  looking forward to learning lots more!

Brian

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: So many choices!
Reply #1 - 11/05/20 at 15:58:28

When I joined Decware six or seven years ago Steve was developing his ZMA.  After that he did his Torii Jr.  Back then it seemed the excitement was with his higher power amps.  The last couple years the buzz is all about his 2W Zen, anniversary style.

If you are serious about keeping your speakers, I really think you need to be looking at the Torii Jr and up.  Very few have been disappointed with any of Steve's amps.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
pathguy
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 11/05/20 at 16:36:23

Thanks Archie--I appreciate the response.

I actually was initially thinking the ZMA due to my speaker's efficiency rating.  Just wondering if it would be more of a lateral move or not compared to my current amp.

I can get a used Torii MKIII for about $2100....

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/05/20 at 21:38:15

I wondered the same thing.  Honestly, I find changes subtle.  That Torii sounds tempting.  I had an order in for the Torii IV before I found Steve's ZMA development thread.  Once there I got sucked right in with the enthusiasm.  I'm sure you know, the best would be for you to audition in your home.  Or shlep your amp somewhere where you could compare it side by side.  My ZMA with the 92.5 dB HR1s was fantastic but I am much happier with the ZMA driving the 100 dB F15s.  My space is completely different than yours but until now, I never really had as much volume as I wanted -- despite trying to convince myself otherwise.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
pathguy
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 11/05/20 at 22:11:50

Interesting!

I actually found a review of the Torii from someone who has my speakers, and he, of course, loved it.   And you mentioned one of my fears:  I get an amp, and then I'd have to get more efficient speakers...and then get the ZMA! Grin

I really would love to hear one--even if it wasn't in my home.  I guess the trouble is finding someone in Upstate NY who has one.  Maybe Steve can send me one??!!   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/05/20 at 23:15:16

Sure he can but with his 30 day return policy with which I think you pay a lot of shipping and 10% of the purchase price.  A ticket to Peoria is cheaper.

I went from an inexpensive (I didn't think so pre Decware!) SS amp right into Decware with both feet.  However, I just looked up your amp and I would definitely want to hear Decware compared side by side before I made the switch.

One thought, that used Torii might not be much of a risk since the resale market for them is fairly strong.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
pathguy
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 11/05/20 at 23:52:02

Great advice, Archie.  My amp is certainly no slouch...and significantly more expensive, honestly.  And more powerful.

I’ll definitely think about the Torii.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/06/20 at 01:02:56

If I had the right space I'd be tempted to set up a second Decware system with a 2W Zen amp.  I'd use my HR1s in a smaller space and my KAB modified Technics TT.  I'd still need a good phono stage though.  It'd be fun to have the best of both worlds.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/06/20 at 01:28:43

Torii MKIV with 25th Anniversary modifications would be an end game amplifier IMHO.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/06/20 at 01:32:18

True but did you see what he already has?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
pathguy
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 11/06/20 at 01:48:58

It honestly can be dangerous reading things online.  It leaves one wondering if what they have really isn't good enough.  Still, it is fun to hear other people's opinions and try out new gear. Wink  We'll see what the next few months bring.  

Until then, I'll keep reading and learning!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 11/06/20 at 14:37:51

Ars-Sonum Gran Filarmonia

That could give you pneumonia!

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
pathguy
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 11/06/20 at 14:57:23

I seem to be just fine, Riveraranch  :)

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 11/09/20 at 01:56:21

Hello,
As you are: "looking for a more spacious soundstage and perhaps an overall more engaging experience."  My first thought is more dynamic speakers. Maybe a 12 inch high efficiency bass with a horn loaded compression driver for the mids and highs; something with more oomph at the same general loudness.

I think the Decware formula is to get a more exciting, engaging speaker, and then because it is also more efficient, buy a less powerful amplifier so you will be playing it turned up some, while the big amp would be barely turned on.

Hopefully those with better knowledge will be pleased to correct what I got wrong.

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print