04/24/24 at 07:46:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mono switch? (Read 2394 times)
Marbia
Verified Member

Mono switch?
10/28/20 at 20:47:02

I love the idea of not using a preamp, however I do love listening to mono records. Has a request to add a mono switch ever been made, so that mono records could be played correctly? The only other option for me would be to use a preamp.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Mono switch?
Reply #1 - 10/29/20 at 00:00:17

I've not played mono records. My understanding was that if you have a mono record and use a mono cartridge you're good to go. I'm really ignorant about this so I would love to learn more.

I've found time and time again that preamps increase my enjoyment of music. It seems counter intuitive, yet a good preamp can bring some magic with it.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/29/20 at 01:00:57

You can play a mono record with a stereo cartridge, but there is less noise if a mono switch is used. I know that Steve can add a mono switch to one of the preamps and the ZP3 phono preamp--I am unsure if he can add one to one of the Zen amps.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 10/29/20 at 02:19:55

I prefer a preamp as well, but you don't necessarily need one to get mono. They make (inexpensive) passive boxes that will convert stereo to mono, or you can even do it with a pair of interconnect splitters. Not as convenient as a mono switch, but not a preamp either.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Marbia
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/29/20 at 12:50:56

Most of my LPs are stereo, I really want something that can be switched on the fly and would prefer to not have a mess of additional wires. I should check with Steve. I am months out from receiving my amp, so I have time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print