Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:06:18 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Lii Audio W-15 bass driver ..... amazing !!! (Read 30194 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

The Lii Audio W-15 bass driver ..... amazing !!!
10/20/20 at 19:48:31

For the past couple of months, I have had two of the Lii Audio W-15 bass drivers sitting in the shipping carton and have been too busy to make a baffle for them.  Curiosity finally got the better of me and I mounted one in a baffle that wasn't in use.

Wow !!!

This driver is the real deal .....

Larger photo here.

It's certainly more expensive than the Eminence Alpha drivers I offer in my bass baffles ..... but there is a reason for that.
The thing is built like a brick outhouse.
It is heavy ..... and I mean HEAVY !!!

It has dual voice coils and binding posts which provides a lot of flexibility for amplification.
I am currently powering the one in my room with an inexpensive plate amplifier (connected to the SE84UFO via the high level inputs) and summing the left and right channels to mono.

The free air resonance is 28 HZ and the .QTS is very good for open baffle.
In addition to "digging deep", the detail and harmonics this driver produces adds a new dimension to the lower bass frequencies.

I have it paired with some Lii Audio Fast-8 baffles and the combo is absolutely wonderful sounding. It works equally well with the Betsy baffles.

The part that is really mind blowing is how much it adds to the Lii F-15 baffles, which roll off around 50 HZ or so.
The W-15 digs a lot deeper than the F-15 does .....

The "bad news" is that I don't think that shipping a baffle with the driver mounted would be a good idea. The weight of the driver would probably reduce the baffle to splinters and sawdust if the shipping carton was dropped .....

So ..... I will be offering a baffle without the driver and the buyer can order the driver directly from Lii Audio. The driver opening and pre-drilled screw holes will allow the driver to be mounted in five minutes or less.

Info can be found here.

I'm sure that there will be many more DIY folks who build their own baffles rather than purchase one from me ..... but that's OK.
If a person wants to add some seriously good bass to their system, this driver is a great option.
It's about the music .....

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: The Lii Audio W-15 bass driver ..... amazing !!!
Reply #1 - 10/20/20 at 21:58:03

Randy,

Your timing on this is perfect. I have two of these on the way, and should have them tomorrow. My baffles are ready and waiting for them to be mounted in. They will mate with my Crystal 10's.

I'll post some photos when I get them set up.

Very best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/20/20 at 22:33:49

Did you try it with power to just one coil?

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #3 - 10/21/20 at 15:13:49

Hi Lin,

That's how I am using it now ..... only connected to one set of the driver binding posts.

From what I understand, I could connect the plate amplifier to both sets of binding posts of the driver. If that is true and it would present a 4 ohm load to the plate amplifier, the power from the plate amp would increase from 75 watts to 100 watts.

I will try that later today and post my findings .....

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/21/20 at 19:34:29

By connecting only one the QTS is doubled to 1.58.

IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/22/20 at 00:33:43

Looks great and very interesting Randy!
Any thoughts on having two of them stacked onto of each other and drive it with a larger plate amp, like 250w?

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #6 - 10/22/20 at 02:44:32

Hi Lin,

Wow !!!
That's pretty crazy .....
I was not aware of that, so thanks for the heads up.
I tried connecting the plate amp to both sets of binding posts today (in parallel).
The sound was "different" at the same volume setting and I am still trying to wrap my head around the differences.
I will do some more listening over the next few days to get a better grip on what I'm hearing.

Hi Stefan,

I won't be offering any baffles larger than the ones I am currently making because my packaging (for shipping) is set up for the one size of baffle.
I'm thinking that your suggestion would produce some serious bass.

If you decide to build something like this, I would suggest buying a hernia belt before trying to move it .....

As previously mentioned, these drivers are HEAVY .....

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/22/20 at 03:32:55

Thanks Randy,
I'll have a big living room to fill with music and open to 2nd floor...
Looks like a good project for next year Smiley

Cheers,

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Casey
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 10/22/20 at 16:36:42

how does the Open Baffle bass compare to the small parts express subwoofer you have been using - do you notice much difference in sound quality and ability to blend with various betsies.  Lii15s here and about to start blending with a Rel 7ti.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #9 - 10/22/20 at 21:05:53

Hi Casey,

It's two totally different sounds ..... I'm partial to open baffle bass because it integrates better with open baffle main speakers than a powered box subwoofer.

However, very good results can be had with the box subwoofer with some experimentation with the crossover point and gain control.
Most subwoofers also have a phase reversal switch (or variable phase) which can make a huge difference in the sound.

I will continue to recommend the inexpensive Parts Express 8" and 10" subwoofers for use with the Betsy (and Lii Fast-8) baffles because they are extremely cost effective and provide a great foundation for the 8" drivers.  They are also easy to set up and can be tucked into a corner of the room.

Rel makes some very nice subwoofers and I think that you will be happy with the Lii 15 / 7ti combo.

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/23/20 at 03:15:36

Casey, if you can add another T7i I think you will be very happy.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/23/20 at 19:59:18

Thanks for the update Randy.  I need to visit your site again.  I wasn't aware you were building for the Fast 8.

Hopefully some day I can hear the W15 to compare it to the Acoustic Elegance LO15s which power the bottom end of my C10 OB setup.  They certainly look similar and both have the dual VC.  The AE are a little more efficient, but that probably doesn't make that much difference given the plate amplification.

But the difference is cost (and availability) is significant.  

I haven't been able to part with my Augies yet and still use my 15As in my cottage system.  Any thoughts on how they compare to the Augies?  I feel the AEs are significantly more musical and clear when compared to the Augies.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/24/20 at 03:20:00

How do they compare to the hawthorne augies Randy?

Might they be replacement considerations in trios with the sterlings?

Thanks John

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #13 - 10/25/20 at 13:44:10

Hi Tom ..... Hi John .....

It has been quite a while since I have had any Augie drivers on hand .....

Without having one to compare side by side, I don't think that it would be fair to either driver for me to comment from my flawed "sonic memory".

For what it's worth, the Lii Audio W-15 driver made my jaw drop when I first heard it ..... the ability to reproduce very low notes, the complexity of the bass harmonics and the ability to separate different low frequency instruments within a recording are superior to any bass that I have experienced in the past.

Last night, I played Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man by Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra and the hits on the big drums made me laugh out loud ..... pretty impressive.

If a person decides to replace the Augies with these drivers in their bass baffles, I would suggest having an audio buddy help with the project.

Did I mention that these drivers are rather HEAVY ? .....

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/25/20 at 19:03:34

Hey Randy,
I wonder, have you ever tried to use the closed box subwoofer together with the W-15 and just use the closed one for the really low frequencies? Or would the closed box sub not mix well with the open baffle one?

- Stefan
---------------------
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #15 - 10/25/20 at 22:29:53

Palomino, I have sent you a PM. Just trying to get in touch.  Greg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #16 - 10/26/20 at 00:48:52

Hi Stefan,

No ..... I haven't tried that.
However, based on all of the music I have used to test the W-15 baffle (acoustic bass, electric bass, synthesized bass, pipe organ, Hammond B-3, kick drum and kettle drum), if there is bass below what the W-15 is producing, I can't tell that anything is missing.

There might be an issue with the "speed" of the bass at different frequencies with open baffle bass and box bass ..... but I can't say for sure .....

This is with the W-15 being powered by an inexpensive 100 watt plate amplifier. If a better amp is used, the potential results would probably be pretty frightening .....

Even more important to me is the quality of the bass ..... which is superb.

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 10/26/20 at 04:47:08

Thanks Randy!

- Stefan
---------------------
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 12/04/20 at 15:28:10

I just completed a set of F-15 OB's based on Steve's plans. I had extra wood and built a 3rd baffle for a W-15 woofer. So now I'm trying to determine the best option for connecting the W-15 woofer. I'm not at all opposed to a separate subwoofer amp, but could I connect(shared with the F15's connection) the W-15 directly to my ZMA using one set of the binding post on the W-15 for left channel and the other set of W-15 woofer binding posts for the right channel? Will it short? I'm unsure of what the dual binding post allow? In other words could I connect a pair of cables to each channel on my amp with one cable feeding the F-15's and the second cable feeding the W-15's without knocking the earth out of orbit?  Many thanks for your input.

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #19 - 12/05/20 at 17:32:46

Hello mperdue63,

You would not cause any damage by connecting the two sets of binding posts on the W-15 to your ZMA.
However, the W-15 would be running "full range" and since it has a frequency response out to 5000 HZ, you would have some serious overlap with the F-15 drivers.
In addition, the sensitivity / efficiency of the W-15 is 91 DB and the sensitivity / efficiency of the F-15 is 97 DB ..... so you would have no control over the crossover point and volume of the W-15.

A plate amplifier or subwoofer amplifier would allow you to control both.
In addition, you would have a phase reversal switch that can be handy for fine tuning the W-15 with your main speakers.

I hope that this helps .....

Best wishes and happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 12/06/20 at 14:24:28

Randy,
Thank you for help. I have ordered a plate amp as you mentioned. I couldn't get my head around the two post speaker connections! I never got past it and didn't even think about the freq., phase etc. LOL
Merry Christmas and thanks for the help.
Malcolm

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
cmdc

Reply #21 - 12/06/20 at 15:13:52

For what it's worth, I had the same question for Randy when I ordered a new W15 OB to match a pair of his F15s I have, also run from a ZMA.  I bought a plate amp that is still sitting on the floor next to the W15.  I'll no doubt hook it up soon, but I haven't yet.  

As a quick test when I was setting up, I plugged the W15 into the same terminals as the F15s.  Since the W15 has dual coils, and the ZMA is effectively two mono amps in one box, I connected one set of W15 terminals to each side of the ZMA.  The W15 is 6db less efficient than the F15s, but I figured with the bi amping it would also be getting twice the power, which dropped the gap to 3db.  (I am a lawyer, not an engineer, and readily admit I have no idea how all this actually works.)  

In any event, the sound was amazing.  It had me hearing new things on virtually every album I tried--including deep organ notes on DSOTM that I never knew were there despite hearing the album a thousand times.  And while I'd fallen out of listening to hard rock in my listening room, the W15 brought early Van Halen to incredible life.  And added new atmosphere, hall dynamics and solidity to both classical guitar and female vocal albums.

So, the upshot is that I keep meaning to plug the plate amp in, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  Because even without it, the pairing of Randy's OB F15s, the W15, and the ZMA is just...spectacular.

Main:[[TD124 [Koetsu RWS>SME 3009S2Imp][Aidas Durawood>Moerch DP6]][TD124 [Ortofon A90>Kuzma 4Pt9]]>Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT>Dodd Audio Phono Stage>ZRock2][SonicTransporter i7>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge]>ZSB>ZMA>[Zu Druid Mk V][Caintuck Lii 15 OBs/Bass Baffle]
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #22 - 12/06/20 at 16:10:17

My main concern was the frequency "overlap" between the F-15 and W-15 drivers, since the W-15 goes out to 5000 HZ .....

Having said that, I have not tried it in my system.

Due to the fact that the W-15 is so much lower in efficiency / sensitivity, it's possible that the blend is more "friendly" than I would have expected ..... just guessing.

The plate amplifier will definitely provide more control ..... crossover point and volume, but if the connection directly to the main amplifier is already working well, you might end up preferring that setup .....

I learned a long time ago that it's best to "never say never" in the audio hobby and I learn something new every day .....

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
joespride

Reply #23 - 01/20/21 at 01:07:14

Randy where do you cut off the low pass on the W-15 ?  I have a pair on the way. I have been using the alpha 15 in h-Frames and I normally cut those of between 150 and 200

Thanks Joe

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #24 - 01/20/21 at 02:06:57

Hello joespride,

In my listening room, it depends on which drivers I'm using in the main speakers. Since I alternate the WBAL Betsy drivers, the Lii Audio Fast-8s, the Lii Audio F-12s and the Lii Audio F-15s ..... the crossover point is different for each of them.

The range is anywhere from 60 HZ (for the larger main drivers) to 150 HZ for the smaller main drivers.
In my experience, it will also depend on the room and the placement of the W-15 baffle(s) within the room.

When I'm "dialing in" a bass baffle or powered subwoofer, I sit in the primary listening seat and have an audio buddy adjust the crossover and volume of the bass until it sounds right to me.

After that ..... I usually back the volume off slightly and that sounds the most natural to me.  

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
joespride

Reply #25 - 01/26/21 at 19:33:08

Appreciate the response Randy. I am playing with a W-15 / Crystal 10 combo with the W-15 in the ZF15M baffle, I am really liking what I hear so far

new_ob.PNG
  IP Logged
joespride

Reply #26 - 01/26/21 at 19:34:25

Clamps are of course temporary for testing  ;)

IP Logged
oztayls
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 04/24/22 at 22:45:57

I've had a pair of W15 sitting here for a couple of years, wondering how to drive them. I was thinking that such a large woofer would need a plate amp of at least 300W, so not cheap for something of quality, especially for a pair.

I saw that Randy had mentioned using the Dayton Audio SA100 and summing the inputs, which I hadn’t considered, thinking it wasn’t nearly enough power for driving the W15. However, Randy's experience seems to have debunked my own thoughts! Is this amplifier really enough to to drive the W15, or should I consider something with a bit more grunt? The specs mention max power of 150W, but is that really absolute?

Thorens TD124, Thorens TD125, Lii Audio Fast8 wine barrel oak OBs, Yaqin MS33B, Home made Shure SUT, Bluesound Node, EAR 834 clone, Spud Kit (SEP), Leak Sandwich+Leak Mini Sandwich 15ohm ex ABC monitors, Bottlehead Stereomour II
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #28 - 04/25/22 at 17:59:30

Several of us are using a Crown XLS-1002 sub amp. You only need one, and can run two bass drivers in stereo.

The Crown is not too expensive, and works very well. Using Palomino’s ‘magic cable’ recipe works great. These are a single wire run from each input on the Crown, with a resistor soldered inline to the positive pin on a RCA plug on the Crown side, and run to each positive speaker terminal on the main amp.

The Crown has volume/crossover settings that you just adjust by ear.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
oztayls
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 04/26/22 at 00:17:01

Thanks for that Geno, I'll look into it!

Thorens TD124, Thorens TD125, Lii Audio Fast8 wine barrel oak OBs, Yaqin MS33B, Home made Shure SUT, Bluesound Node, EAR 834 clone, Spud Kit (SEP), Leak Sandwich+Leak Mini Sandwich 15ohm ex ABC monitors, Bottlehead Stereomour II
  IP Logged
oztayls
Verified Member

Reply #30 - 04/26/22 at 00:48:22

One particular plate amp (280W mono) I'm looking at has wiring for two drivers, so it looks like a possibility for hooking up to the W15. This has both low and high level inputs which is great as all my amps have high level outputs only.

One question I have is would it matter which coil is wired to which output wire as one of them looks to be inverted? Does this matter or is it something to experiment with?

EF27EDA0-1667-43F9-A6A7-25B85EC0BDDC.jpeg

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #31 - 04/26/22 at 01:32:48

Good post and good question. It doesn't always happen that way.
 So, personally, I have never seen outputs like this from an amp, but yes it matters. One output working out of phase with another output, to the same driver no less, will be working against itself. I wouldn't 'experiment' if I were you.

I would like to add that I see the 'BTL' connections for 3 drivers, and do not know what they are trying to do. 2 drivers are in phase and 1 is not. I suppose that using 3 drivers might allow 3 different positions for the subs, but that is just a guess. What I mean here is that 1 of the subs may acoustically be out of phase with the other 2. At this time, I am assuming 3 separate subs and not all drivers in the same enclosure.

Might be good for someone else to chime in here. Since this also a class D amp shown here, there is plenty that I don't know about them and the available options for connection.

One question that I have for the owners of this driver is, are the voice coils in the driver both 4 ohm or 8 ohm. If they are 4 ohm voice coils then it would be possible to hook them up in series for an 8 ohm impedance.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
oztayls
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 04/26/22 at 04:56:41

OK, I can see that oppositely phased inputs to to the same driver won't work, so I presume this type of design suits a sub with two drivers. In effect you would get a "push pull" effect, so doubling the sub's output and effective power. I've heard of bi-amping a speaker this way, but never heard of it done with a sub. Seeing as this is a dedicated mono sub, it seems strange. This is the amp on Ali:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32842731715.html

IP Logged
oztayls
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 04/26/22 at 07:18:02

I’ve just had a thought that the amp might operate in two channel mode, with each channel driving one phase only? If the case, it might drive a W15 just fine wth a connection to each pair of connectors. I’m trying to find out more info, but all I get is one word replies from the seller. X

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #34 - 04/26/22 at 14:29:10

As I recall in a 'Ripol' sub, the two drivers are out of phase. >>>>Correction<<<< as it turns out, I misread what they were describing about phase. It turns out that the 'Ripol' sub acoustically puts out one phase of bass to the front of the sub while also putting out a 180 degree out of phase bass to the rear. Says nothing about the electrical connection. Just trying to find something relevant for this topic.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 04/26/22 at 16:50:15

oztayls, since you have a pair of drivers get 2 of the DA SA100 plate amps, you can use 1 woofer with 1 amp for each channel.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #36 - 04/26/22 at 17:01:31

Thanks Lin, that is an option. I was also wondering why a second driver, or voice coil, could just be wired to the out of phase channel output reversed. There we go, reversing the reversal. Then Both outputs would be of the same phase.
One output, 'phase correct' to one voice coil.... then the other output, 'out of phase' to the other voice coil, BUT reversed to be 'phase correct'.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 04/26/22 at 17:19:09

That would work.
I would spend the money for peace of mind and less hassle with a known great return policy from PE.

IP Logged
oztayls
Verified Member

Reply #38 - 04/26/22 at 22:31:38

Thanks Lin, so you think the SA100 will drive them OK?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 04/27/22 at 04:26:59

oztayls wrote on 04/26/22 at 22:31:38:
Thanks Lin, so you think the SA100 will drive them OK?

Yes
I just saw that you are in Australia, sorry I assumed. Embarrassed
The one you posted or something similar may be a better option for you???

IP Logged
oztayls
Verified Member

Reply #40 - 04/27/22 at 06:43:35

Thanks Lin. Yes, I'm in Australia, but the Dayton stuff is available though agents, although VERY expensive due to the tyranny of distance and our crazy import tariffs and taxes. I'll look around and see if I can find a deal.

I see that the SA100 is 75W into 8 ohm, but the full 100W can be achieved by connecting the W15 in parallel, so the amp would see 4 Ohm. Convenient.

I experimented a bit today. I had an old 50W sub with an 8" driver, so I pulled the plate out and connected it to the W15. It was terrible and it barely drove the W15. However, driving a nice 8" Peerless driver, it sounds great, and is plenty fast.

Next I connected a Class D mono amp that I had. It doesn't have high level inputs so I made a divider to drop it to line level. Into 4ohm the amp puts out 600W and into 8ohm, 300W. I tried both ways and it did drive the W15 to acceptable levels, but the sound of it was terrible. Definitely not HiFi!

IP Logged
tybee
Verified Member

Reply #41 - 05/13/22 at 16:58:25

I want to publicly thank Randy for permitting me to hear my new Magnum Lii 15 speakers in his listening room. Despite only a few hours of playing time, this was an awe inspiring listening experience for me listening to these Lii 15 drivers through Randy’s small dedicated audio room.  It was one of the reasons that I wanted to experience these speakers in a small room which differs from my large 24’ x 22’ mancave. Was not surprised that his tuned room would demonstrate how a room with the right equipment and speakers will often surround you with sound, but was really shocked how well these speakers sounded with just a few hours of playing time.
Day one of playing the speakers in my mancave tuned room sounded very good with the soundstage beginning to widen but not in height or depth. This did not surprise me as I have learned that it requires a day or two for the room to adjust.  What a surprise for day two!  My first Cd overwhelmed me with the soundstage expanding across the entire 24 feet with the height and dept expanding also. These speakers are really special and Randy is an excellent craftsman.  Even my non audiophile wife was impressed.  
While these Lii 15 are already way beyond my sonic expectations, but they will not really demonstrate how good they are in a non tuned room big or small.  As I get older and downsize to smaller living quarters, I am now very comfortable that good sound with continue placed in maybe a smaller bedroom.  I highly recommend this speaker, but you really need to order the Magnums from Randy.  You will be glad you did.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #42 - 05/18/22 at 19:55:56

Hi tybee,

Many thanks for the kind words .....

Your visit to my listening room was a treat for me .....

Good tunes .... good conversation ..... it doesn't get any better than that.

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #43 - 05/21/22 at 17:43:46

A couple of recent photos of the audio "he-shed" .....
The Lii Audio W-15 driver is now mounted in a Wenge Magnum "tombstone" shaped baffle .....

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 05/21/22 at 19:48:01

Looking good Randy Wink

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #45 - 06/13/22 at 05:15:47

Question could I use 2 amps with a W15 using a 80 Hz Low Pass 8 Ohm Crossover feeding into each voice coil? Using 80W mono blocks. Just curious.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #46 - 06/14/22 at 00:56:26

Hi jec3504,

I don't see any reason that this would not work .....

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 06/20/22 at 01:00:24

Running the W15 with the plate amp using the high level inputs are mind-blowing! Thanks Randy for the help.

Joseph

IP Logged
M_P
Verified Member

Reply #48 - 06/29/22 at 20:07:01

With the help of Geno, JBzen, and a couple of other generous advisors I’ve pretty much got the room holding my Elekit TU8200DX driving DIY Lii F-15 Big Betsy pair sorted. I’m not feeling like there’s a lot missing, but winter will be coming to Vermont sooner than later and I’ll need a new project or two. Besides, I’d like to see just how much sound I can wring out of this system.

I’ve been reading this and other threads but due to my lack of knowledge and experience, I have questions.

I’m leaning towards a single Big Betsy baffle matching the ones I’ve got. The plate amp Randy recommends is certainly budget-friendly and I’m wondering exactly the best way to wire it to the single Lii W-15 driver. So, can someone offer Elekit/sub amp/W-15 connection-by-connection instructions for this undertaking?

I’m also wondering how those using this setup are mounting/housing the Dayton plate amp. And if you’re using some other sub amp, what is it?

Thanks!!

Home office: Mac mini => SMSL SU-9 => SE84UFO2 => Omega CAMS or Bottlehead Crack => Sennheiser HD-6XX
Studio: Mac Pro/Roon => Bluesound Node => Elekit TU8200DX => DIY Lii F-15 Big Betsy's
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 06/30/22 at 13:00:35

M_P,

Use the high level inputs on the plate amp. Speaker wire from the Elekit's binding post to the high level inputs on the plate amp. My plate amp is just sitting on the back of the plinth of my W-15. Connect the speakers cables from the plate amp(only has one set) to the W-15. Works great getting the signal from the primary amp.

Joseph

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print