Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 01:45:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amp and speaker or speaker and amp? (Read 5157 times)
Redstar
Verified Member

Amp and speaker or speaker and amp?
10/09/20 at 05:04:37

First off, apologies if this question has been asked before. These forums are vast! Lately I've been wondering which way to go in the Decware-verse. All things being equal, does it make more sense to put the majority of your money toward the best amp you can and put the left over funds toward whatever speaker you can afford? Or do you get one of the more affordable amps and the best speakers you can get? For illustrative purposes, let's say the 25th Anniversary amp or the Zen Torii and a pair of Caintucks, or . . . one of the Super Zen Triodes and something like Omega Super Alnico High Output XRS or DNA2s, or HR-1s?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Amp and speaker or speaker and amp?
Reply #1 - 10/09/20 at 09:42:00

Redstar,

I have both the Caintuck Lii 15 and Omega XRS SAHO speakers driven by a 25th Anniversary modified Decware Zen Mystery Amp. Both speakers sound exceptional in my small dedicated listening room which is treated with diffuser panels. I also did extensive listening to all of Steve's amp and preamp combinations with Zen Master and other speakers at Decfest last year.

I think going for the best amp possible is the right move. Then add other 25th modified pieces as budget allows will get you the best listening results, it's like building a house on a solid foundation.

Which amp and speaker combination depends a bit on your room, music preferences, and desire for future flexibility. The 25th Anniversary Zen amp is truly special and sounds amazing with the open baffle Lii 15 speaker. You need to place these speakers 3' from a rear wall to sound best! So, if you have the space you can't go wrong. They will play loud and clear.

If your room limits speaker placement options, it may be better to go with a ported box speaker, either a floor standing or monitor.  The Decware and Omega offerings all sound wonderful. You'll just have to decide if a full range speaker or limited range speaker will meet your needs.

I opted for a more powerful Zen Mystery amp primarily because it provided me flexibility to add  less sensitive speaker should I go that way in the future. Have I been tempted to get a 25th Anniversary little Zen, you bet I have.

Hope this helps.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/09/20 at 10:44:10

Agreed... amp then speakers, always work from the source down to the speakers.  Essentially, garbage in garbage out.  Good speakers will not gloss over what is sent to them.  In fact, they’ll be very happy to reveal the flaws and limitations of upstream components.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/09/20 at 14:35:33

I agree with the above posts, get the amp first. Your room will tell you what you should focus on. If you  share some details, we can help give better guidance.  If workable in your room, room treatments will help your system really shine.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Redstar
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/09/20 at 17:30:57

Thank you to everyone who offered guidance thus far. For further clarification - whatever the amp I land on, it will be a Decware amp. As for the speakers, I am leaning heavily on those that seem well-vetted by the Decware fans: All mentioned on the "Speakers" page + anything from the Omega line. My current listening room is something of a nightmare - an "L" shaped living room about 18 1/2' long with 8' foot ceilings. I play almost exclusively vinyl and my tastes are eclectic. I like a lot of rock: classic, prog, psychedelic, 70s jazz fusion, dreampop, shoegaze, and a lot of jazz (be-bop, hard bop, cool, free), in third place, I listen to classical. I don't usually listen at high volumes (I consider 95db to be loud) but I do like having the option to "go there" when I want to. I hope this additional info helps!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 10/09/20 at 18:33:16

Redstar,

I agree with all the above posts as well....get the best amp you can afford within your budget.  I’d go as so far as to say that if you need to hold off on am amp purchase for a year to get the amp you desire...then do it..  

I wish I took my own advice and I ran into a conundrum.  Let me explain...

I originally had my eye on the Torii MKIV before the ZMA came out. Then.....something good and bad happened.  I got a really good deal on my ERR’s.  So many guys raved about the radial sound that I took the bait.  The result was that I truly loved the radial sound in my open floor plan with my vaulted ceilings.  

Now fast forward to when I attended my first Decfest 2 years ago.  I heard the 25th Anniversary Zen amp with the DNA2 speakers that are like 5 dB more efficient that my ERR’s. I also got to hear the ZMA with the HR-1, which were amazing as well.   I truly loved the transparency and sound of the SET Zen amp, that I felt I didn’t want to give that up either.  

Point being that the physical size of the room,  room treatments, loudness listening level, and the type of music you play should all be taken into consideration.  

For me...I play a lot of jazz, classical, and single instrument background music. I just purchased the 25th Zen amp because I loved the sound.  Even though I do question that the amp may not truly make the ERR’s reach its full potential,  the trade off is that while my open floor plan prevents a challenge in and of itself, my loudness listening level is on the lower side.  If it was not....then the Torii amp would be my purchase.  But...I did really like the open baffle sound as well...so pair that with a Zen Amp and you will get beautiful music.  You can never go wrong with more power than you need, but will get frustrated if you can’t achieve the loudness you desire if you fall short on power.  

Disclaimer:  I do plan to have a conversation with Steve with my concerns.  And I feel that once you narrow down you decisions, place a call to Steve before you pull the trigger....especially if you have never heard any of the speakers or amps.    

Hope this helps

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Redstar
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/09/20 at 18:53:22

I wish these conversations had little "like" icons like Facebook... You are all giving me great advice.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/09/20 at 20:25:57

Redstar,

Your room size doesn't appear to present major challenges. So where is your primary listening position in the room - across from the long wall, short wall, other? As previously noted the open baffle designs sound best when pulled out from the rear wall by 3' with a direct line of sight to the listening position.

Keep in mind reflective surfaces - hard floors, windows, picture frames, etc. can effect the sound quality. Best thing to do is move the speakers to different locations in a complex room if at all possible and find the best spot.  Open baffle and single driver speakers are generally a good choice for pairing with SET and low powered tube amplifiers.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 10/09/20 at 22:43:45

I'm going to be the contrarian on this.

Speakers make the biggest difference in sound reproduction.
Amps, not as much

I've tried playing several different amps to several musician friends, starting with a $24 chip amp and moving all of the way up to my Torii.

While I was pointing out how much better the better amps sounded, most people don't hear a big difference.

The things that we all make a big deal about are not even noticed by 99% of the people out there.

But change from a cheap speaker to a expensive speaker, they all hear that.

So my method is to buy as much as you can choke down on speakers and start low on the amplification, then move up as you can.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/09/20 at 22:52:18

The Caintuck Lii 15's punch way above their price point and are almost full range speakers. A true audio value & I have the Omega XRS SAHO's to compare them to. The SQ is very, very close.

I think you can't go wrong with a 25th Anniversary Zen or Torii (preferably w/ 25th Anniversary mods) and the Caintuck Lii 15's. That is my recommendation. You can't go wrong with this combination.

HK

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/10/20 at 00:11:12

I second the post by HockenssinKid. I also have the Caintuck Lii 15 speakers and they make a wonderful combination with any Decware amp. They are close to 100 db efficient. With a 2 watt amp, they will play louder than you are ever likely want to play them.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/10/20 at 05:01:44

I have to agree with Donnie. I ran Large Advents for close to 20 years because I loved the sound and I found changing amps made noticeable, but always small differences. I then went through a bunch of speakers until I got the original Zu Druids, and then scored an amazing deal on Zu Druid Vs.  After that, it was just finding the right amp. I started with the Almarro 205, then the Audiosector Patek, then a Decware SE34i.2+, then a Torii Mk IV, and finally settling on Atma-sphere M60s. The common thread is that they all sounded great with the Druids; I was just obsessing over small details.

I A-Bed the Torii vs the M60s for a year before I chose; I could have easily lived with the Torii. They were both fantastic, but I couldn't keep both.

Decware makes amazing stuff; I'm listening to a pair of DNAs in my living room right now. My advice is try some used speakers and see what you like; you can resell them at a very small loss and consider it the cost of education. Once you find the speakers you love, you can figure out the amplification. If you find high efficiency speakers you love, all the better, because your amp choices will be mostly unlimited.

The most important thing is to have fun! That's what this hobby is all about. Music is supposed to be fun.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/10/20 at 16:01:06

Donnie, I find it so bizarre how we both had opposite experiences. Years ago when I returned to the States after living in Asia, I started with the speakers. PSB T3’s. They were powered by a 15 year old Rotel amp. I lived with that disappointment for a long time. I then moved to Asia and sold everything. When I started getting situated in I bought the speakers first again. Amphion Argon 7Ls powered by PS Audio M700’s. So disappointing. By this time I should have realized that I’ve always loved tubes, the systems I’ve enjoyed the most have been tube based… oh well. Decware had been on my radar for awhile at this point. I was actually considering getting the Zbox, maybe a tube buffer stage would be the ticket? I eventually came to my senses and bought a Torii MKIV 25th. As many of us know the wait can be brutal. I was also on the opposite side of the globe so I needed someone to bring it out when they visited or I would pick it up when I visited the USA. After many months. I finally got my Torii in my system. I literally started to get misty eyed. The music was just incredible, All the crazy things on the Torii sales page were happening! It did open up a door into another dimension!

I’ve been in the States most of this year due to world events. Currently I’m listening to 50 year old Advent Loudspeakers that were redone by miller sound. Powered by a ZMA. WOW it sounds so good! The speakers being the weakest link by a long shot.

I hooked them up to a small class D amp and they sound dull and lifeless.

Redstar, After rereading your original question, any of those pairings should bring you countless hours of enjoyment.

I’ve heard the Caintuck F15’s with the UFO25th and ZMA 25th. Both great! After hearing OB speakers going back to a monkey coffin is hard.

Maybe because it was my first Decware amp, I still love the Torii MKIV the most of all Decware power amps I've listened to.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print