Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 12:55:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New here, some guidance is requested (Read 3815 times)
Spineguy72
Verified Member

New here, some guidance is requested
10/04/20 at 21:12:58

Hi there, I am new here. I’ve stalked the decware site for a long time, but now I’m in the market for a new amp. I had an Almarro A318b amp that kept having problems, and without competent repair people nearby, I got rid of it. I need an amp to run my Zu Omen Mk.II B’s at 96db efficiency. Source is mostly a VPI Scout tt with a Tavish Design Adagio phono preamp. I also use an Rel T9i subwoofer. My listening room is my living room, at 14 ft X 22 ft. The stereo is at one end of the room, facing the narrow dimension. I sit about 10 feet away from the speakers. Listening level is moderate, music is typically rock, with jazz and some acoustic and classical thrown in. I want a good sounding amp as the most important factor. Budget can be stretched to $3000. I’m not sure if the super zen triode would be a good match, or the Rachael, or even the Zen Torii jr.  The Almarro was around 15 watts and I was very happy with the volume I could attain and the overall sound.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: New here, some guidance is requested
Reply #1 - 10/05/20 at 00:38:50

All Decware amps are great. Evaluate the options and features of each model to see what you like or don’t like in an amp. Everyone has a preference of tube type, physical size, wattage, or whatever.

The Torii Jr is 20 watts. I am not sure why you think it not suitable. I have never heard one. I like the two watt amps myself. I had a Rachael and mini torii many years ago.

I would get two super zen and run them as monos. Cheaper than Torii Jr, and I like monos. I prefer the SEUFO03 with all mods, but it may not be enough power for you. I don’t do vinyl, and I do not know your preamp or turntable/stylus. Others can chime in with their experience.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/05/20 at 00:57:14

Listening to these right now...

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/05/20 at 03:58:36

"The Almarro was around 15 watts and I was very happy with the volume I could attain and the overall sound."

Did you listen to your 15 Watt amp with the volume turned all the way up? Or did it have a reserve of power?

Brian

IP Logged
Chester
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/05/20 at 05:02:57

Hey Chris,

For what it’s worth, I have the Torii Jr. paired to Zu Omens and I love the sound. For me, I just wanted the extra headroom the 20 watts would give me.  I mostly listen to classic rock and have never turned the amp more than halfway up.  Sometimes I wonder what a Rachael or Zen amp would sound like, but I’m perfectly happy with the Jr.  I know it’s a tough choice, but I’d put your name on the list with something and then sit with it for a bit - you’ll have time to change it.  Not sure if that helps or not, but best of luck.

SE84UFO25/Border Patrol DAC/Zu Omens/Zu Undertone Sub
  IP Logged
Spineguy72
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/05/20 at 05:18:49

I did not listen to the Almarro at full volume, I was trying to say I did not find the Almarro’s power to be lacking.

IP Logged
Spineguy72
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/05/20 at 05:21:18

Chester, thanks for the input. You verbalized my thoughts exactly. The Torii Jr’s 20 watts is enticing, but so is the idea of what 2.3 watts or what would the Rachael sound like. I need to talk to Steve, pick his brain a bit.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print