04/25/24 at 00:21:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1st world problem (Read 2488 times)
Melvin
Ex Member

1st world problem
09/27/20 at 17:14:23

After many years living with mainstream gear I decided to try a different path a couple of years ago and found my way to Decware and Omega. I love the simplicity, the purity, and most of all the sound quality. No doubt many here feel much the same.

Here’s my humble system:

Sonore microRendu→MHDT Labs Pagoda→Decware SE84UFO→Omega Super 3i Monitors & DeepHemp 8 Subwoofer

Better Cables Silver Serpent RCA’s
Omega ConnectOne Loudspeaker cable
Uptone Audio USPCB A→B Adapter

The conundrum .. subwoofer connection .. high-level vs. low-level.

I’ve read countless posts extolling the virtues of high-level connections and, unfortunately, this scheme has not worked well in my system. When using the high level connection there is a persistent buzzing sound (not a hum) through the Super 3i’s, even when the amp is off. Only when removing a speaker cable or turning off/unplugging the sub does the annoyance stop. I’ve tried everything I can think of to no avail. Said buzzing is non-existent when using a different amp (I have 4 in storage) using the same high-level connections. The low-level connection is dead-quiet with each.

Without spending a dime I have 2 options for a low-level connection to the sub, a Decware ZSB and an Outlaw Audio ICBM-1 analog crossover. These 2 units are on opposite ends of the spectrum, one being a simple passive device, the other having active circuitry. Both solutions work well, each bringing a little something different to the equation.

Of course, my obsession is in preserving the integrity of the signal coming out of my DAC using the shortest, purist path. It seems the least destructive choice would be the ZSB. Insert ZSB between DAC and amp, send output to both amp and sub, turn dials. Done. The Super 3i’s see a full signal without manipulation. Nice.

On the other hand the ICBM-1 brings some real convenience to the equation. I can easily vary the crossover point and the sub’s volume (which I do on occasion). Additionally, and more importantly, setting the crossover at 80Hz really helps those 4.5” drivers sing. No great surprise there.

Perhaps it’s my aging ears but I detect no insertion loss using either component. But I’m an obsessed audiophile who does in fact think way too much about such things (don’t most of us?). As good as the system sounds with the ICBM-1 in place I can’t help but wonder if it harms the signal, stripping some of the delicate nuance because it is, well, a crossover.

I bring this to the community because a) there are so many like-minded obsessive types here and b) I have way too much time on my hands (Pandemic). I could easily live with either solution. Thoughts? Inclinations? And please don’t hesitate to tell me I’m just being ridiculous, I already know this Smiley. Thanks.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: 1st world problem
Reply #1 - 09/27/20 at 19:44:48

Melvin, I had a similar situation with my high level connection, although I had more of a hum than a buzz. If you have not tried it yet, run a single piece of wire from negative to negative on your SE84UFO. This fixed my issue. This solution came from Steve after trying for quite sometime to figure out what the problem was.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/27/20 at 19:56:31

Even better get another DeepHemp. Wink

IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/28/20 at 12:08:04

Thanks for the tip Geno! Did Steve explain the cause and why this solution works?

Lin, hahaha .. great subs. I can't tell you how many times I've thought to purchase another. Fortunately, 1 is all I need in my room, want being an entirely different subject.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/29/20 at 05:00:21

More subs is not about quantity, but quality, smoother room response, and stereo subs seem to expand the soundstage.

Below is speculation based on experience with REL subs and a lot of reading about problems associated with using speaker level inputs.

The SE84 has a "floating output stage" and tying the negative posts together gives the mono sub amp a common ground.

IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/29/20 at 09:57:11

Thanks, much appreciated Lin.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print