04/23/24 at 17:28:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New podcast (Read 5165 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

New podcast
09/26/20 at 12:46:44

There is a new podcast now on audio.  One of the guys is an engineer at PS Audio, who by the way is a Decware owner.   I found some good information on SET and single drivers. Worth a listen.

https://the-hifi-podcast-with-darren-and-duncan.simplecast.com/episodes/single-e...

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: New podcast
Reply #1 - 09/26/20 at 14:17:04

Thanks for sharing. I haven't listened yet. I've been looking for a few more good sources about audio that's not reviews.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/26/20 at 14:31:24

I knew a good deal of what they said based on my participation here/Steve's white papers, but it reinforced some of what I knew and gave me some new information.  They refer to some blogs which may be interesting to read as well.

It was hard to tell who was who but it may be the non-PS Audio guy that has the mini-torii.  He calls it a tweakers dream.

The DIY aspect of the podcast was also of interest to me.

If anybody knows what Coral driver they are referring to, I'd like to know.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/26/20 at 14:46:29

Still haven't listened to the podcast. XD

Coral Beta 10 is my guess.

Some people say that Lii Audio C-10 is a copy / inspired by it. I've heard a few people refer to the C-10 as a Coral.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/26/20 at 14:52:15

I'm thinking its a smaller driver.  He said he took it out of an old Sony Reel to Reel.  16 ohm single driver Alnico.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/26/20 at 15:04:45

Looks like Coral Beta made a 6" 8" and 10" driver

http://rutcho.com/speaker_drivers/default.html

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/26/20 at 15:16:37

Thanks, but I don't think its any of those.  He specifically said 16 ohm.  I may listen again.  I may have just missed it.

IP Logged
gsanger
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 09/26/20 at 17:08:45

Fun listen, thanks for sharing!  Loved the idea that simple systems produce simple distortion, makes a lot of sense to me.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/26/20 at 17:14:13

Yes, I liked how they approached the distortion and breakup issues head on.

IP Logged
Duncan Taylor
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 09/26/20 at 18:10:05

Hey thanks Palomino for the share!

The driver is actually not a Beta but a smaller one with an inverted cloth surround. Google "StuartA Hifi Coral Holey Basket" and you'll find it. (forum won't let me post the link yet)

It's not the holey basket but it's close.

If you can find them in good shape they are superb sounding little drivers. Plenty of bass - I used one for a subwoofer once - no joke! Tons of THD I'm sure but the xmax on these is impressive and they handle themselves well under strain. In the Bigger is Better design however they're remarkable.

I noticed the doping starting to dry in some of the cloth surrounds. I experimented with different doping compounds to re-seal them.

But after years of listening I realize that the flexibility of the original surrounds sounds better and produces better bass. I have yet to try new foam surrounds, but I have a few in less than perfect shape, so I may see what can happen there.

A wonderful mating in "Bigger Is Better" cabinets with the Mini Torii and a Ripole subwoofer I built to fill out the bottom.

Systems: Roon>PS Audio DSJ>heavily modified Audio Research D-115 Mk 2>Dunlavy SCIII>REL T/9i (2) // Raspberry Pi>PS Audio Jewel DAC>Constellation Centaur>DIY standmounts
WWW   IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/27/20 at 23:03:40

I listened to the podcast today. I enjoyed it. I can tell they really do love Music and hifi. I'm half way though a second one of theirs.

Duncan, Thanks for popping in and clearing that up.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/28/20 at 00:39:43

Coral holey basket as mentioned above.
http://glowinthedarkaudio.com/coralholey.html

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 09/28/20 at 14:05:41

I finished the second podcast about subwoofers. There is mention of Steve's sub designs. When you have someone like Duncan, who gets to listen to all sorts of gear. In their home system they are using a Decware product that says a lot about Steve and his designs.

IP Logged
Duncan Taylor
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 09/29/20 at 02:01:04

Well my grandfather got me interested in hifi early, but when I discovered Decware and Steve’s articles and attitude and DIY plans many years ago - I was 15 then, maybe? I’m 38 now - it kicked off a life long passion for me. I learned so much from Steve’s writing, and I even knocked together a “Wicked One” about that time.

So when I was able to buy a Decware amplifier many years later, I jumped at the chance.

I have two systems: the Mini Torii powering 7ft tall full range driver horns with a DIY dual Ripole sub I made, and a system downstairs with a Constellation Centaur prototype that Bascom gave me powering a pair of Dunlavy SC-IIIs and a pair of REL subs to match.

I do get to listen to almost everything at The Music Room, and Steve’s designs always stand out as not only sonically remarkable but also gorgeous. We had a pair of radials come through not too long ago and they are just incredible sounding.

Systems: Roon>PS Audio DSJ>heavily modified Audio Research D-115 Mk 2>Dunlavy SCIII>REL T/9i (2) // Raspberry Pi>PS Audio Jewel DAC>Constellation Centaur>DIY standmounts
WWW   IP Logged
Duncan Taylor
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 09/29/20 at 02:02:10

By the way, this is the link to my actual drivers: http://sdaaudio.blogspot.com/2013/01/sony-coral-103a-holey-basket.html?m=1

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print