Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 11:35:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DNA2 Speaker - comments, thoughts, recomendations? (Read 3933 times)
Reptar

DNA2 Speaker - comments, thoughts, recomendations?
09/21/20 at 05:48:27

Hi - very interested in the DNA2 speaker. I have a Zen Triode that I hope to pair with it, if that doesn't have enough oomph/bass then I would try another tube SEP amp that I have ~10-12W/CH and may consider the Tori MK 4 but the Tori + DNA2 is a bit out of reach for me.

I am interested in hearing from DNA2 owners. I'd like to hear about low level listening experience and the bass this speaker can deliver.

Any thoughts, tips, recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: DNA2 Speaker - comments, thoughts, recomendations?
Reply #1 - 09/21/20 at 06:42:06

When I  attended Decfest 2 years ago, Steve paired the DNA2 with the new SE84UFO25 Zen Amp and it was mind blowing.  To hear the sound that came out of those speakers from a 2 watt amp was a testament on how great the pairing was.  It was fast, detailed, and smooth.  

Here is a short video I took of the pairing.  Please take into account that this what shot on my iPhone X and uploaded to YouTube that compresses the audio.

https://youtu.be/tu7xMWi0Ipw

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #2 - 09/21/20 at 13:31:45

Thanks Dom, appreciate the fast response. Did Steve demonstrate the Lii Crystal 10 Loudspeaker (the large oval loudspeaker housing the Crystal 10 driver) and if yes, how would you compare the two?

I have  tough room, high ceilings in an open space and am having issues with speaker placement and bass response, which has caused me to search for a speaker that will sound more "balanced" having more bass response that is integrated better with the full range of sound. I am currently using the Lii Audio F15 in a small baffle.

I really appreciate your help. It's a big "buy" for me and am agonizing over spending the $$ without being able to hear speakers before I buy them.

Thanks!

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/21/20 at 16:20:29

Reptar, any possibility of making the trip to Peoria to listen to all the possible combinations? If not, I would say that you would be more than happy with either of the two speakers. I bought the DNA2 before hearing the Lii crystal 10 complete speaker but could definitely be happy with either. The Lii speaker will play louder and, it seems to me, more low bass. It's single driver is more efficient than the DNA2's 2 drivers plus crossover.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 09/22/20 at 06:37:29

Reptar.....when I attended Decfest 2 years back, the Lil Crystal speakers were not yet fearured nor were any of Steve’s OB Speakers.  At that time his woodworking shop was not finished.

I would also encourage you to take a trip to Peoria and schedule a listening session.  You can hear virtually every amp and speaker pairing which will be $$$ well spent.

My upcoming home renovation will basically be the same setup that you have...high ceilings and a big open space.   If the speakers you are buying are not going into is a dedicated listening room, then I would consider looking into a radial speaker, like the ERRx or the HR-1.   They will fill a larger space with a wide dispersed sound better than the other speakers.  

I currently run the ERR’s in an open space with vaulted ceilings and they are truly amazing, but they are paired with a solid state Yamaha amp.   I am planning on buying the SE84UFO25 Zen amp in the upcoming months, so it will be interesting to see how the pairing will  fair in my renovated space.  

The HR-1 are $1000 more than the DNA2, but they are end game speakers.  Lon runs the HR-1’s with the Decware Monoblock SU84UFO3, and gets great sound. If he chimes in, definitely take his advice as well.   

If the radial sound fits you scenario, and the ERRx ( which costs $1000 cheaper as the DNA2) are a serious consideration, then I would urge for you to save up and just jump into the end game HR-1 speakers and you will never look back.  I bought my ERR’s used, so the cost savings warranted my purchase.  

If you have not done so, I would talk to Steve and get his input if you can’t make the trip to Decware. There are a lot of factors to consider, things like room size, room treatment (if any) your idea of a normal listening level, and even the type of music being played, just to name a few.  

Hope this helps

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/22/20 at 12:33:04

You've gotten good advice! My experience with ERR and HR-1 make me suspicious that the 25th Anniversary amp will fill a large vaulted space. My Monoblocks (a bit more powerful) just barely did, and my wife, whose hearing is not quite as good as mine and who likes music louder, always wanted more from the amps (she also is used to and seems to prefer compressed solid state sound, which seems to have to be louder). When I was convinced to move my main system upstairs, the Taboo Mk IV with Anniversary Mods DOES have just enough grunt to fill the larger space, and I have to say sounds wonderful.

If you can swing a trip to Decware that would be a good way to be sure that you have the best advice and on hand/ears experience to make an informed choice.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #6 - 09/22/20 at 15:07:38

Thanks to all!

I want to travel to Decware, but.. due to the pandemic I am not comfortable getting onto a plane. I've thought about it, even have mileage to travel for free but just can't bring myself to fly and I am too far to drive.

This is certainly a lot for me to process. I had been focused on the DNA2 speakers when I read about the Lii Audio Crystal 10 speakers. Given my room layout and where I have my equipment, I think the Lii Crystal 10s won't fit where I need them to go. Sad

The HR-1 seem awesome but out of range with regard to price. My concern is that once I get the DNA2 I may have to buy a more powerful amp i.e. the Torii MK IV, I have a feeling that this combination will be incredible but the total all in $$ is something that I am having trouble with. My head says no but the rest of me says go for it! Smiley

Really appreciate the help and the time you've taken to assist me.

Warm regards,
Steve

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/22/20 at 17:34:49

Best to call Steve Deckert and talk it through. He will not steer you wrong.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/22/20 at 18:19:20

I agree with HK, give Steve a call, he definitely has the ability, given the right information to help guide you where you want/need to go. He spent a lotta time helping me out with my room and equipment choices, I have never looked back or felt a wrong pick was made. As you can see my equipment below there are several pieces you are considering. Good luck with your journey, enjoy it!
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 09/23/20 at 04:07:20

Reptar,

It seems you have some tools we can work with.  Am I correct that you have an SE84UFO, a ZROCK2 and a pair of F15's in DIY baffles?

If so, these are some common denominators that will let me hear the sound in your room without actually visiting your house.  I would need a picture or two of the listening space and of the DIY baffles.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/23/20 at 10:05:17

Hello, Reptar
For the $3800 price of DNA2, you can have the ZF15L in red oak.
How is your "Lii Audio F15 in a small baffle" sounding to you? Is there something it is not delivering?

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print