Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:22:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Jeff Bagby Continuum II's (Read 9897 times)
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

The Jeff Bagby Continuum II's
09/19/20 at 23:02:01

I just wanted to share my impression of these micro-monitor speakers that I built.  They were designed to mimic the Rogers LS3/5a.  I have no idea if they do actually sound like the LS3/5a because I've never heard one, nor any of the other iterations of it.  What I do know is that I like Jeff Bagby's (rip) take on it.  They of course have a sophisticated dividing network but I've heard speakers with crossovers that I like before and these definitely fit into that category.  They have high quality drivers, a tiny footprint and sound just huge for their size.  The mid-bass driver digs so deep for its size its kind of unbelievable.  And I figure what the heck, if sometime down the road I get the chance, maybe I could pair them up with a pair of open baffle 15"ers I've got sitting around.  These speakers are not effecient enough to be run with the SE84UFO25, but they do just fine with my Torii IV.  Unfortunately I don't have a zen amp for my computer but they are being run with a solid state amp and the result is fantastic.  Well, I just wanted to share.  I hope everyone out there is doing fine in these times and is listening to their amps like crazy!!!!!!!!!    Hope to be able to see everyone at a Zenfest sometime soon!

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
gsanger
Verified Member

Re: The Jeff Bagby Continuum II's
Reply #1 - 09/20/20 at 02:04:16

Glad to hear you like your speakers.  I picked up the barebones kit for the Tempest 12 Fusion speakers not too long ago (another Bagby design) and am hoping to get the crossover parts soon and get those made before the end of the year.  I know Jeff was no slouch, so I’m hoping they sound as good as your Continuum IIs!

When you have a chance, you should share some pictures, too.  Would love to see ‘em.

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/22/20 at 03:51:46

gsanger- If Jeff was able to work any of his magic into the Tempest 12 Fusion's I am sure you will be tickled pink.  It seems I just keep noticing more cool stuff coming out of my computer music.  I mean really cool stuff for a computer rig.  Get those things together as swiftly as you can, you won't be sorry Wink

I'm no computer guy so I haven't found a picture sharing website.  I guess that is what it takes to share photos on the forum.  I could surely text you some or email.  They are nothing special looking really, just two small, mdf boxes with a mid-bass driver and a tweeter.  I will photograph the process if I decide to sand them down and veneer them.  I will get crossover pics too.  But I have to admit that my crossovers are nothing to brag about.  They do function however Smiley

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 10/08/20 at 22:35:47

Hmmm, I've been thinking about building a small pair of monitors for my bedroom.

These might be worth cloning.

I've never did a true crossover, but I do have a soldering iron and skills that can pay the bills.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #4 - 10/10/20 at 13:55:10

Hey Dan

Here's how to post a picture:
First you need to have a picture of the right size.  For me, this means reducing the ~4MB camera picture to something around 400KB.  The built in "Paint" program works well for this, as well as many others I'm sure.  I find reducing to 25% works almost every time.

Once you have a picture, go to "imgbb.com"

click "start uploading"

navigate to and double click on your picture

make sure "don't delete" is selected and click "upload"

select "BBcodes, BBcode full link"

The line of code you want (use copy/paste) starts with "[url=https://", ends with "/url]", and has your picture's name in the middle

Just put that line of code in your post and your picture will appear there.

Note that imgbb will try and slip a 2nd picture in sometimes, like "[url=https://imgbb.com/] free picture hosting [url/]  for some free advertising.  You should just delete that line or not select it for copy/paste in the first place.

good luck

Dan

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/10/20 at 19:08:49

Dan, I read your instructions and now my head hurts!

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/11/20 at 01:45:55

I just use a picture host site like Imgur, change the size if necessary, copy for message boards/forums and paste to post.

Not my speakers. Wink

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 10/15/20 at 03:57:03

I'm just about ready to drop some coin on this speaker kit.
A quick check with the "war department" is in order tomorrow to make sure that the price won't make me miss a meal.

It might be all of the MDF dust I've been breathing lately or if the Covid has finally shown it's ugly head in my small corner of the map, but the thought of making something out of real wood is appealing to me for a change. Maybe something out of mahogany or hickory will cleanse my soul.
I just priced a sheet of Koa veneer and it scared me off, around $600 for a 4'X6' sheet. That, boys, is too rich for my blood.

If it gets started I will post photos (it is really easy to do).

This is what I'm shooting for, I that I can build them so that they are about 35%-40% of the quality of these.

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/15/20 at 04:19:06

Donnie, All I can think say is don't double think spending on this kit.  To me, these speakers sound amazing.  They just add to the saying "every rule is made to be broken".  I say that with regards to listening to speaker systems that are largely crossover-less.  These little gems have relatively complex crossovers....  But they amaze me.  And yes, if you have the ability to make cabinets as beautiful as the ones you have pictured, you will love the outcome immensely.  Mine are some beat together MDF affairs that aren't really that pleasant to the eye.  But to the ear, that is a different story.  They are not efficient though.... so that may be something to think about.  But aren't you the owner of Dan the Redheaded Amp???   Smiley   If it matters, I'm thinking about the Kairos Kit.  I liked the Continuum's so much.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #9 - 10/15/20 at 19:47:16

Ordered!
Let's see how I can mess these up.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 11/22/20 at 16:54:58

It is grey, cold, and rainy this morning, making me lazy.
But the good thing is that I'm spending some quality time with my Continuums and am quite enjoying it.

They are sitting on their stands in front of my open baffles being driven by Dan the Amp and doing a fine job of it.

In my room they aren't too bass shy, having a real nice "hit" to them.

Yes they take some power to push them. My Torii usually has to be ran pretty close to WFO to push them, but Dan the Amp powers them without breaking a sweat.

Overall I'm pretty impressed by this build, the speakers look real nice, perhaps being one of the best speakers for fit and finish that I've ever built.

Net up are the Bagby Kairos, A much bigger project in scope and technique. Hopefully the weather holds up for the next few weeks to give me time to figure them out.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #11 - 11/23/20 at 13:07:35

Does everyone know that Dan the Amp is a Zkit60?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 11/23/20 at 22:03:25

Yes, Dan The Amp is a ZKIT 60, the best bargain in a solid state amplifier that you can get!

Think about it, 60 watts of the most tubey sounding solid state amp that there is out there, and it is cheap!

Everyone within earshot of this should buy one and enjoy it!

Christmas is coming, give yourself a present.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZKIT60.html

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #13 - 11/24/20 at 22:12:29

Here is a picture of the Zkit60 in the newer recommended chassis

Dan

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #14 - 01/09/21 at 02:59:34

I just wanted to check back in and discuss how well my Continuum II's and my ZKIT60 (Dan the Amp) are working together.

Earlier this evening I plugged my "Rockers" speakers into Dan the Amp after several hundred hours of burn in on the Continuums. The Rockers only stayed in the listening chain for the duration of 4 songs before I stuck the Continuums back in.

My Rockers aren't slouches by any means, they are basically a larger version of the DM945's, using the same drivers in a taller cabinet.

But the Continuum's are a bit more resolving to my ears. Though they sound more laid back than the Rockers, they do seem to be just a little more coherent.
Tomato, Potato, diffrent strokes for different folks!

I've been meaning on redesigning the Rockers anyway. Hmmm what can I do with these drivers?

I also want to talk about Dan the Amp. He is just wonderful sounding, really pushing these 84 dB speakers without breaking a sweat.
Go buy a ZKIT60, no, go buy two of them, they are that good.

Don't make me show up at your door in the middle of the night and "insist" that you buy one. You really don't want that to happen, now do you?

IP Logged
Shah Sazib
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 02/19/21 at 16:56:49

Great job done!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print