04/20/24 at 03:03:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Grid Bias? (Read 2908 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Grid Bias?
09/18/20 at 09:57:57

I do not find comments to read about Grid Bias. Is this for telegraph circuits and other high power circuits and not for music?
If it is used in HiFi, what is it's purpose? Why use it instead of cathode bias?

Curious, Brian

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: Grid Bias?
Reply #1 - 09/18/20 at 13:20:00

The grid voltage controls the current flow thru the tube.  Usually, the tube needs to be turned off by a fairly high negative voltage on the grid.  Zero volts, ground or no connection, will typically turn the tube to max on.

To SET the bias you adjust the negative voltage on the grid when there is no input audio signal.  The actual voltage depends on many things, including tube type, tube age, and how well the tube is working.  To MEASURE the bias you measure how much current is flowing through the cathode (or plate) of the output tube(s).  Typically, there is a known value resistor put in the cathode circuit that you can measure the voltage across.  This can give you the cathode current by applying Ohms law, but typically the directions will have already done that for you and will say something like "adjust trimpot R422 until the voltage at tp7 is 2.3vdc".  

Some amps, self bias, are designed so there is no need for a bias adjustment.  This is convenient, but you pay for it in that you are never able to set the amp up to give you all the power its capable of giving.

Dan  

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/19/20 at 06:18:07

So is that then the purpose of grid bias? It makes the amp more powerful?
Do you know, Dan if a grid biased amp sounds in any way different from the usual self biased type?

Brian

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #3 - 09/19/20 at 13:03:35

Setting the bias, whether it is self bias (not user adjustable) or fixed bias (user adjustable), puts the amplifiers operating point right in the center of the usable operating region.  From there, an input signal can swing both positive and negative a maximum amount before running into physical limits of the amp that cause clipping and distortion.  So, properly set bias allows the amp to put out its maximum power before it starts to clip.  If the bias is not set right, the amp will clip early, before it reaches maximum power.  Also, if the bias is wrong, the output waveform will clip on the top or bottom first, whereas a properly biased amp will clip symmetrically on both top and bottom as the amp is asked for more power than it can supply.

Dan

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 09/19/20 at 15:04:36

Just keep your Bias's to yourself, this is a family friendly hobby!
If you guys keep this up someone will be throwing shade and all of that kind of crap.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/19/20 at 15:22:02

I throw the shades down--sound is better.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/20/20 at 05:36:13

Thank you, Dan. I am glad to learn about this.

I am trying to ignore those two knuckleheads.

Brian

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 09/20/20 at 12:50:00

Knuckleheads!?

While I could be accused of that, there is no way that Lon could ever be considered of being one.

This reeks of unconscious bias.

I know this because I had to sit through a 4 hour class about bias at work ( you can't let anyone cry anymore). I'm now an expert on it.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 09/20/20 at 13:03:12

See, that sounded better because he threw down some shade!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print