Send Topic Print
Servo bass ideas (Read 4043 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Servo bass ideas
09/12/20 at 23:37:57

Here I go out on a limb looking for a way to build a sub using a servo bass design. Does anyone have sources/ideas for such a beast?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Servo bass ideas
Reply #1 - 09/13/20 at 00:27:36

I would checkout http://gr-research.com/diysubwooferkits.aspx

Danny is a great guy and his youtube channel is really informative.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 09/14/20 at 01:00:28

Thanks so much. I actually have ordered  GR research f12 sub kit. It will be just perfect. The UPS shipping number is already online! I happen to have a cabinet that may work, but if not, no problem. I can make one easy enough.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 09/20/20 at 04:43:56

Got the equipment yesterday, and so far, here is what I am doing with an old sub cabinet. If it does not work out, then I will just make the recommended cabinet for the new sub.

https://ibb.co/hV38HKg

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/20/20 at 21:05:42

Have an update?

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 11/20/20 at 21:37:18

Man, Do I! As expected, some systems come together better than others, regardless of the components involved. In this case, I found something very rare for my liking. The bass didn't just improve,>> it's the bass that I haven't heard for years. Just the right level and integration, and the use of a Velodyne SMS-1 provide the balance that I missed so much. To be clear, a Velodyne SMS-1 is a bass management system that measures the room using a mike and your sub, and then adjusts the EQ accordingly. At first, I was using the Velodyne just for the crossover to the main amp in my system. The reason for this is that the line level crossover in the GR Research amp lost one channel. I have no idea why and don't care, because using it means long runs of interconnects to and from. Ok, so as I stated, the music is quite moving now, not only in the bass, but above the crossover frequency of 70 hz. I have listened to numerous albums, mostly with surprise of the fact that there is the best bass to be had, and sometimes not. Point is really good recordings are overwhelming to me. That is because I haven't heard them 'correctly' in some time. You might wonder why I am using servo sub with DNA2 speakers. Simple really, in my room speaker placement isn't much of an option concerning the best placement for bass. Fortunately, the midrange on up is fantastic using the Mark Audio 12P drivers. They do pretty good bass, but are rather made for frequencies above say 80-100hz IMO. Since the DNA2 sound is fast to begin with, a servo sub was the best choice as it blends perfectly.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/26/20 at 14:08:18

That's great!

So you put the GR research (Rythmik) driver in the box and it's being powered by the plate amp which is running full range, Velodyne is controlling crossover?

For me you hit it square where it counts. When you have proper deep extension that is effortless, an emotional connection happens with the music that is lacking when the bass is missing.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 11/29/20 at 18:34:57

GS,

Yes, it was shot in the dark for me with this cabinet, although I knew that the Cu Ft, I think around 1.8 was right in the ballpark to start with. The cabinet is beyond well braced, and I tried something unusual>>> The magnet of the bass driver was quite close to one of the braces for the opposite panel. I used a heavy bead of silicone to attach the magnet to the brace. Because of the shape of the brace, which is cut in a half circle, I was able to attach with silicone in two places on the magnet, one attachment on each edge of the magnet. I mention this because I have seen speaker designers use a similar technique in cabinet design, but with bolts. Anyway, the total outcome from this enclosure arrangement is quite beyond my expectations. I have toyed with the idea of using a subwoofer stand offered by Iso-acoustics, but doubt that I will try it. I couldn't possibly be more satisfied with the present arrangement. I do believe that the Velodyne SMS-1 helped out by it's measuring and correcting for what it can with the room.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print