Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:45:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AFNG or, "Another 'effing new guy" (Read 5362 times)
Redstar
Verified Member

AFNG or, "Another 'effing new guy"
09/08/20 at 03:08:53

Hi all, another newb here. I've got a big time Decware jones and need to feed that monkey, but I am a little baffled with just where I should enter the stream. I play about 99% vinyl (and love collecting records). I bought a Rega Planar 8 turntable with a M/C Ania cartridge and use a Vincent PHO-701 phonostage last summer and I have a bunch of 70s era integrated amps + a Yaquin MC-10T tube integrated that I bought a few years back because I was curious about tubes. My last purchase was the Tekton Double Impact SE speakers. . .Well, I want to get rid of all that gear (except for the turntable!) and start all over. I'm wondering what you Decware-owning vinyl lovers out there are using? How are Decwares phonostages? WIth what Decware amps are you pairing them with?
Thanks in advance and sorry if I got a little long-winded.

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Re: AFNG or, "Another 'effing new guy"
Reply #1 - 09/08/20 at 10:34:59

Welcome on board, Redstar.  

If I were you, apart from the turntable setup, I would hold on to the Tektons at the beginning and go for the SE84UFO25.  As Tektons are high-efficiency speakers, it is likely that you would have satisfactory volume from the UFO25.  Over time, you can start looking for better speaker matches, if you feel like, but first I would familiarize myself with the amp and see how, at a component basis, the system can be improved.  

So, in short, rather than changing the whole setup at once, I would do it in stages.  That's just me though.  Other Forum members might think the other way around...

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 09/08/20 at 12:21:21

I agree with Alper. You have speakers that have been used successfully with the Zen amps. I'd go for the SE84UFO25 if you can afford it and enjoy the amp with those speakers and decide in a while where to go next. You may find the match with the Impacts excellent!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Redstar
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/08/20 at 17:07:37

Lon & Alper, Thanks for you input. I actually made a post in another area of these sprawling forums asking about a good amp to pair up with my Tektons and it was suggested by several members that, although yes, my Tektons are efficient speakers, the crossovers in them are rather elaborate and as such, require more than 2 or 6 watts to work well. Also, I called Eric Alexander of Tekton and he said as far as tube power goes, he would not use anything less than 30-35 watts.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/08/20 at 17:25:37

You need a ZP3 phono stage, good interconnects, good speaker wire, the SE84UFO25,  ZROCK2 with anniversary modifications. Try this with the Tektons and then move over to either the DECWARE Monoliths or DNA2.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/08/20 at 17:28:02

OK, I must have remembered wrong and perhaps the users here were employing Zen Mystery Amps or Toriis. But I thought it was one of the small amps.

I will say that manufacturers really don't know how well these small amps work with speakers. I read that Tektons are more like 92 db efficient. I'm using 92 db HR-1 speakers with my Taboo (4 or 5 watts) and SE84UFO3 Monoblocks (about 3 watts) both with the 25th Anniversary mods. They work very well.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/08/20 at 17:39:33

Yeah Man. Listen to Uncle Lon, Boy.

I would have said "Another Friggin' New Guy."

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Redstar
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 09/08/20 at 18:54:15

Ah, so since phono stages were brought up, my cartridge is a MC cart. I don't think the ZP3 is for MC right? I think for MC one would need the ZMC (or does one need BOTH and the ZMC is a device to be used in conjunction with the ZP3?).

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 09/08/20 at 19:55:23

Yep. You would need both the ZP3 and the ZMC. The ZP3 is an outstanding phono pre, and is highly recommended!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Redstar
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 09/08/20 at 20:06:21

Alright. Thanks Geno, et al. I love these forums. Like I said. Really appreciate the sincere help of everyone! Cheers!

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/09/20 at 12:31:55

Redstar,

I am driving 91dB B&W's with my UFO25 and I believe it has quite a complex crossover which sucks some of the signal, but the volume is already quite satisfactory.  With your Tektons (which should be effectively more efficient than my B&W's), it must be even better despite the crossover circuit on them.  Also, please note that these amps are so detailed that I personally seldom need to turn the volume up.  For throwing a dance party, of course, I have another system!  :)

The low-powered Decwares, particularly after the introduction of UFO output transformers, never sound like the announced power spec to me.  So I would still give it a try with the Tektons and then decide.  Of course, if you are looking for higher power to start with that is a different story.  Some of the other amps in the Decware line should cover you.

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Redstar
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 09/10/20 at 02:09:33

Yeah Alper, I was drawn to the SET amps because . . . sort of reading between the lines of what Steve has said, it seems like SET is where his heart is. I don't mean to take anything away from the Toriis, etc. I would be happy to own any piece of Decware kit, but yeah, it's the SET ones that seem the most intriguing to me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print