Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:37:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New website page - partially completed baffles (Read 5073 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

New website page - partially completed baffles
09/07/20 at 17:03:09

I have several species of hardwood in my inventory .....

Some of them have been offered in the past and are listed in the website price list and some of them have not.

As time allows, baffles are being partially completed from these hardwoods but no drivers have been installed.

The choice of drivers will be optional and selected by the customer.

These are "one off' items and will be added and removed from the page as they become available and are sold.

I will post updates to this thread as the inventory changes.

The web page can be found here.

Currently, there is one pair of baffles available in Peruvian Walnut.

I hope to add several more as time allows.

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Re: New website page - partially completed baffles
Reply #1 - 09/08/20 at 02:22:55

That is one beautiful piece of hardwood, Randy. If I didn't already have speakers coming out of my, well, everywhere, I'd be all over it. Glad to see that you're keeping it moving.

Randy

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #2 - 09/08/20 at 22:06:20

Hey Randy,

Many thanks for the kind words .....

I must admit that since I made the decision to only offer baffles made from hardwood, it has reignited my enjoyment of working in the shop.

Truthfully, I am sometimes amazed at the coloration and grain patterns that appear when I apply the linseed oil / beeswax to a hardwood that I have never worked with before.
On some hardwoods, it's almost 3-D.
In addition, the edges of the baffles are sometimes the most attractive and "complex" part of the baffle ..... amazing !!!

I have several stacks of different hardwoods sitting there that I have not used before and haven't had time to work with.

It's great to always have something to look forward to .....

Best wishes and happy listening,
RIC

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 09/12/20 at 04:03:47

Quote:
I must admit that since I made the decision to only offer baffles made from hardwood, it has reignited my enjoyment of working in the shop.

Hehe, I can relate that!  It's interesting that as long as I wanted to build another shop, my intensions during that wishfulness were just to get back what I had, and make more speaker boxes... meaning a particle board , plywood and MDF or whatever you can buy at Menards shop.

Then after I built it, it was so new and fresh I couldn't stand to put my old table saw that had been setting outside for 15 years in the rain and snow... into that nice shop so I gave it away and purchased a new one.  That of course started something, and then I began to really think about what do I want to make... well what do I need,... well it would be nice to be able to go out there and build an amplifier base from hardwood...

That will require a jointer and a planer... ok fine, and so on the story goes.

The interesting thing is that the only sheet goods, and that was birch plywood, that came into that shop was last year when Bob and I make a pair of "Big Betsy" baffles from birch plywood.  Besides that, everything that has been made in there has been from solid hardwood.  Not even veneer.  

I have zero desire to make anything from anything else. In fact I dread the thought because I know there will be at least some things I will have to make from sheet goods... it is just so satisfying to make something that is solid instead of veneered. Not many speakers can be made from solid hardwood without cracking or splitting. I would say 98% of them probably can't. The Tiny Radial can because it has no top or bottom  or center bracing. It can shrink or expand  all it wants to without issue until you put a top bottom or internal brace in it and then watch it just self-destruct as it cures. A flat baffle is the same, it has no conflicts.

Hardwood has a sound.

While Tiny Radials are cool, they are so small that the hardwood is only appreciated at ultra close range. The Betsy Baffles are large enough that you really get to enjoy the wood without having to have it a foot away from your face.

Anyway, I too look forward to making stuff in my shop because everything in there is hardwood. It's a small shop.  Dust collection, and clean.  In my old shop, it was large, in the ghetto, had big open doors and a concrete floor that could have been mistaken for dirt... in there the mess made everything cleaner.  I like this life better : )

BTW, I measured the sound my table saw makes with the really good blade and zero clearance insert ( because it is so damn annoying I have to wear ear plugs) and it was 2132Hz. This what happens when you mix speaker designer with wood worker... ; )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/12/20 at 23:10:07

And all of us are so glad that the two of you do what you do the way that you do.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #5 - 11/24/20 at 04:03:38

Well ..... a gentleman with excellent taste just ordered the Peruvian Walnut baffles with the Lii 15 drivers .....

Larger photo here.

I have some additional hardwood panels of various species in the lumber stash and hope to have some additional baffles completed in the near future as time allows.

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/28/20 at 20:18:22

Hey Randy,

Fine looking OB speaker there!

I'll bet they will bring pleasure to the new owner.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #7 - 11/29/20 at 16:21:02

Hey Dennis,

Thanks ..... I think that they turned out well .....

Stay safe and happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print