Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 15:43:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's better than a PS Audio Regenerator? (Read 4051 times)
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

What's better than a PS Audio Regenerator?
08/19/20 at 19:33:53

I’ve been a huge fan of the PS Audio regenerator products ever since I first heard the difference. Now I consider them an essential part of my setup.

I was considering getting a P12, now I am not.

Last week I read about KCC Scientific.  https://www.kccscientific.com/frequency-converters/ They sell a “frequency converter” This initially and still turns me off. It is a “mains reconstructer” After reading about the products I realized they were exactly what I wanted. They take any wall voltage 85-260v and 50-60hz convert it to DC that powers an amplifier that outputs a clean wave form at your choice of 115v or 230v 50hz or 60hz. Then it goes through a transformer into the outlet.

The bottom line? The power coming out of the unit is pure virgin power.

After an informative call with Ken at KCC, I bought the 100w Thor. Ken said if I'm not happy or I need more power I can send it back for a refund.

First thing I did was plug in a power strip and connected a UFO25th + Zstage-25th + Cambridge CXNv2. No other powered components in the system.

Everything powered up normally. After letting the amps warm up for about 60 seconds I started to play some tracks. Wow! yep! this is it!

The same differences I experienced with the PS Audio regenerators, I was hearing with this. Blacker back grounds, more space between the notes, better image separation, removed the high end unpleasantness and replaced it with beautiful shimmer, more better across the board. I cranked up the volume until the needles started to lightly dance. Again everything is better with the KCC unit in the mix.

I then shut that all down. I switched things around. I added in a ZR2 and ZP3 both 230v. I switched the Thor to 230v and rewired everything as it should be. so the ZR2 + ZP3 were being powered by the Thor and the rest of the system was being powered out of power strip from the wall.

Yep more better. It wasn’t as a dramatic improvement as 100% running from the Thor. This could be because the CXNv2 is more sensitive to power fluctuations than the Decware gear and/or Only half the system was being fed clean power.

I then did a torture test for it. I took out a ZMA and gave it a go. The mighty Thor tried but alas, didn’t have enough oomph to power it. This wasn’t surprising. I am curious if the 200w will power it.

They also make a 500w and 1000w unit.

Downsides? Yes there are 2.

#1 The power outlet isn’t the best. They are working on a solution so, hopefully in a few weeks I’ll have a 200w Hercules unit with a better outlet in my possession.

#2 The grounding wire is a little awkward. This is a minor issue and doesn’t apply to the Mercury line.

I’m guessing the 200w Hercules $799 will happily power 2 of the smaller Decware amps/preamps + DAC + Zstage/ZR2. When my CSP3 arrives, I should have a 200w Hercules to give it a go.

The Mercury line provides soft start which is really attractive as well.

If you are looking at a PS Audio regenerator for your setup I would take a good look at one of KCC Scientific units first.

So is this better than a PS Audio regenerator? I don’t know yet. When I can fly back home I’ll compare to my P3.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Re: What's better than a PS Audio Regenerator?
Reply #1 - 08/19/20 at 20:52:00

hey Groove, fascinating! looking forward to your impressions Wink

IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 08/22/20 at 14:30:30

I had not encountered this company before.  Definitely tempting!  Let us know how these compare!  I love the PS Audio PowerPlant products, but they're definitely spendy...

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/10/20 at 17:42:59

I have an update.

I sent back the 100W Thor and got the 200W Hercules. They also put a new higher grade outlet on the unit. They don't have the new outlet on the website yet.

The Hercules is powering CSP3, ZP3, BlueSound Node2i, Schiit Yggdrisl, and ZR2.

The Hercules only has one outlet so a power distributor of some sort is needed. I'm considering either the Cullen or Furutech right now.

I still have not had the chance to compare it to a PS Audio regenerator. End of November I might have a chance to compare it to a P20. If anyone is in the Tri-State area, say 1-1.5 hours from the Willow Grove Turnpike exit. I would be happy to bring it over for a comparison or just a listen.

My gut is telling me these do a better job at delivering clean power to devices than the PS Audio regenerators.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/10/20 at 17:45:47

After not having the regenerator in the system then putting it in was another wow moment! A regenerator / clean power is a very important part of a high end system in my book.

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/10/20 at 18:41:31

Thanks for the update.  I was just thinking a few days ago that I thought this was an interesting thread and I had not seen an update - and now I've seen one!  

I not yet ready to take the "clean power" plunge, but am starting to think about it, and I will be filing this info away for later use.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/10/20 at 20:25:16

Groovy, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the comparison at some point. I also found that clean power makes a difference, and it'd be difficult to go back to life without a regenerator of some kind.

Tone-Deaf, it doesn't have to be a major investment if that helps. My system, all in, isn't five digits so I couldn't justify four digits for a power regenerator. To try the technology, I found a used P300 (the first power regenerator PS Audio made, back in ~1999) for $350 shipped to my door and it makes an audible difference. I like it so much that I've been considering the new Stellar P3, but haven't taken the plunge since the price/benefit still doesn't make sense.

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 10/20/20 at 01:31:02

Groovy - Wow, what a great read and interesting website. I am wondering how I would calculate which unit to get?  I have a Rachael, ZP3, CSP3, Sony Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost and SOTA TT. I seems that the 100w unit would work fine, but I guess a call or email to KCC may be in order. Again, thank you for the tip, keep us posted and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/20/20 at 13:48:33

Chris,  Here are the power draws of the components you have, I guessed on a few of them. Rachael 85w, CSP3 65w, ZP3 65w, Bifrost 15w?, Bluray 15-20w?, Sota TT 5w? totals 255w maybe.

I would guess the 200w Hercules will power everything excluding the Rachael. The 100w Thor should power the Rachael.  A little extra headroom is a good thing in my book so two 200w Hercs will give you room to expand as well.

You will need a power strip of some sort. I’ve not made up my mind which way I’m going to go. A few I’ve been looking at.

https://www.cullencable.com/111-2/ They also make a 6 outlet one.
https://www.tweekgeek.com/the-tweek-box-4-outlet-power-distributor/ a bunch of options.
http://www.furutech.com/2017/04/25/14769/
http://www.furutech.com/2020/04/11/19455/

You could start with a 200w Hercules hook up everything except the Rachael and see if you like what you hear, I’m guessing it will be instant. Currently I have a 200w Herc running CSP3 65w, ZP3 65w, ZR2 13w, and Schiit Yggdrisl 35w (178w). in front of the ZMA (plugged into wall/SUT) and it’s great.

Shoot them an email, Ken is a great guy to deal with. They will refund you, minus shipping if it doesn’t work for you.

Also ask for the new outlet that Nigel got.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/20/20 at 13:52:09

Ooops, It's also powering a blusound Node 2i 5-10w? so total draw is 188w max.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print