Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:52:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electro-Voice KD6 Aristocrat (Read 3495 times)
Redstar
Verified Member

Electro-Voice KD6 Aristocrat
08/17/20 at 23:13:36

Everyone was so helpful with my first post to these forums (regarding the correct Decware amp for my Tekton Double Impacts) that I immediately began to take stock of my audio pile trying to figure out what I could sell off to fund my first Decware purchase. Well, simultaneously I was also reading various forums and threads and came across Steve's writings on the 1956 Jensen Imperial speaker he modified. I loved the history of that speaker and the idea of the box's internal architecture being designed to determine the sound. That got me to thinking. Some years back, I purchased a pair of Electro-Voice KD6 Aristocrat speakers. I bought them solely for the reason that they looked cool (to me). What's more, my wife really likes them a lot. Their sound was less than stellar, however. Definitely could benefit from a recapping job but I got tired of them and I've been trying to sell them off for about a year now. Back to reading Steve's post and it got me to thinking . . . "I wonder if these old enclosures could really shine with something like those Lii coaxial speakers dropped into them? Could things really BE that simple?! I'm guessing the answer is, "Probably not" but thought I would put it out there.

0-5.jpg
  IP Logged
Redstar
Verified Member

Re: Electro-Voice KD6 Aristocrat
Reply #1 - 08/17/20 at 23:16:08

Some pics of the inside

0-1.jpg
  IP Logged
Redstar
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 08/17/20 at 23:41:09

This model could be purchased with a series of upgrades - different drivers, a horn, etc. The model I bought (used) was apparently the most basic and did not have the optional horn.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 08/17/20 at 23:50:50

What is the size of the hole? A Lii driver may fit it.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Redstar
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/18/20 at 02:31:08

Well, the speaker is 12".

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 08/18/20 at 04:25:10

I am sure that just about the same as applies to tubes; just cuz it will fit into the socket doesn't make it right. Point here being that the diameter of a driver is one of the lesser specs if I can call it that. Different drivers will likely have a list of specifications that don't match at all, despite their dimaters being the same. As was mentioned already about your speakers, the cabinets were specifically designed for the original driver. You could get lucky enough to find out if the two drivers could be compared side by side, but something tells me, not likely.
 I will end it with this. A buddy of mine bought two 'identical' Yamaha 650 motorcycles. They were 3 years apart in age. He figured that between the two, he could make a bike that ran reasonably well. WTH? Same size engines, same model. Didn't work. Not even a little bit, starting with the motor mounts being different. Not quite the same thing here, but the point is still made.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #6 - 08/18/20 at 13:11:29

It’d be pretty cool to try these 12” drivers. You do need to make sure that the hole is the right size to accommodate. Hell, for $299 a pair, it’s worth a shot.

https://www.lii-audio.com/product/one-pair-12-inch-full-range-speaker-driver-f-1...

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Redstar
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/18/20 at 16:21:21

4Krow - that's pretty much what I was afraid of having happen. I asked my original question in all naiveté hoping that maybe I would get lucky, something like - "Yeah well, back when those speakers were made, they were emphasizing cabinet design over electronics to get a good sound, so, with better electronics (upgraded speakers) they will sound a lot better" - It was something of a long shot, but I thought I'd run it past the good folks here just to see what the general consensus was.

IP Logged
Redstar
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 08/18/20 at 16:22:34

@Geno: those in fact were the very speakers I was eyeballing.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/18/20 at 18:11:43

It seems really difficult to guess on this with accuracy...

I have done a lot of work over time on my speakers and amps, and find it is often trial and error/success that defines improvements. That said, I have brought about many, many improvements, based on sound, using parts I suspected would work well in a given place....wires, caps, resistors, connectors, attenuators, damping, etc.

I did my research, so narrowed things down based on my experience and preferences,  and on characteristic sound qualities others found with parts. Sometimes the first try made a good improvement, where others I needed to try several variations to meet my criteria of.... One part at a time and nothing staying in if it was not an improvement across the board, without compensation per se by tuning with other parts.

Another thought for me is: Was the design and designer of these speakers in sync with what I would want?

Even imagining, like 4K, they may have gotten it pretty right with the drivers used and associated cabinet design/tuning...I would think this does not necessarily mean the driver, other parts and wires, and tuning used were optimal at this point in time....The big questions seem to be: Are the drivers as good for these cabinets as the Lii driver you are looking at? Do you necessarily agree with the vintage sound choices in how they work with modern gear, room treatment, etc? And can the cabinets be easily tuned if necessary to refine for the Lii drivers....

In my case, modifying non-vintage pieces, I was able to improve gear made by some very good listeners, designers and builders, gear carefully tuned to what they considered optimal! I was able to get things way better for my needs, and I suspect by any standards. This was mostly by using better parts in the right places, parts that all work well together, and all finally determined by sound.

Not to try and confuse the matter....just some personal experience. With no experience or story with your speakers though, I can't say if these cabinets are worth exploring further, or if "the right" new drivers would help. Just that conceptually, if you like the design ideas and stories about the speakers, but feel like they could be better for your needs (with the direction the Lii's might take them balance-wise) seems to me it may be possible to make them better.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print